Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sat PM, 8/25, 40M Conditions  (Read 383 times)
N9SKN

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:56:06 AM »

Hey I'm posting this in CW forum on account of thats the only kind of OP I am - and I don't really know which other forum to ask it here. Apologies if incorrect in posting it here.

Saturday night I was perusing the CW portion of 40m as usual. I'm a General Class so thats 7.025 to 7.045 'ish usually for the most activity. I noticed almost exclusively packet/RTTY communications in this area of the band, while the CW guys moved and started at 7.050 'ish and up for maybe 20 Khz.

I don't have it in front of me anymore, but I remember there was some sort of "Gentlemans" sub-band agreement which basically was that CW ended up on the bottom section of each band, data next up and then phone.

There was obviously some kind of another contest going on with all the activity which I have learned usually happens on Sat night, but waht I saw was a complete reversal of the "Gentlemans" sub-bands I think. I could see that alot of activity during a contest would "Spill" into another area - but I think I saw a complete reversal of where things usually are.

It was actually frustrating to operate for me, even for a Sat night. And then Sunday AM I was QRM'ed during two consecutive QSO's on different freq's on 40m. I am only a QRP OP, but the other end is usually not - so I think guys would hear one of us.

I am not in any radio clubs and also have not had an Elmer, so thought I would ask here at Eham as I often do for some help explaning things.

So do "Gentlemans" sub-band assignments go out the window or even switch during contests?

Aaron out.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:25:16 AM »

So do "Gentlemans" sub-band assignments go out the window or even switch during contests?

Sounds like your new to this; yes of course during a contest that mode tends to widen out some, if not even take over everything.

We just have to deal with it; like turning the VFO and/or pushing the band change button.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:08:33 PM »

I agree.  Gentlemen's agreements are just that: They're voluntary, not adhered to by everyone, not recognized by everyone and often "overridden" by circumstances such as contests.

Go where the activity is, and make contacts (within your license privileges)!

N9SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:01:57 PM »

I was just really surprised that modes "Flip Flopped" the way they did in the band.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Aaron out
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:45:55 AM »

I've noticed this many times, and while I understand this kind of behavior, it does kinda bother me a little, especially when the op using the digital mode in question just starts sending near you or even on top of you.  I don't let it bother me, and is said above, it's only a matter of turning the VFO a little bit.  This is another reason why those of us who love CW need to get on and stay on the air...the old use it or lose it idea.  73, Rick
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »

Also note that the 40m band is gerrymandered with different modes allowed in different parts of the world.

For instance, the Japanese are only allowed to do RTTY in the very low part of the band. If you want to work the Japanese stations, you have to "go low."

Also please learn what the "Gentlemens Agreements" are before assuming that somebody is violating them.

7.040 MHz is the DX RTTY calling frequency as well as the American QRP calling frequency. The international QRP calling frequency on 40m is actually 7.030 MHz.

Hope this helps...

73 de Donald

And yes, I *have* had QRP CW QSOs blown off the air by RTTY contesters myself... Annoying as all git out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: