Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fingerprinting as Part of License Requirements Long Ago.  (Read 3542 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »

I vaguely remember getting fingerprinted as part of becoming a ham around 1957/58. I had asked about this once before on Eham and no one else recalled what must have been a memorable experience for most of us then-kids. Perhaps, instead, it was related my dabbling in Civil Defense around 1959.

I just saw this in regard to ham radio in WW2: [1940] "All licensees were required to send a set of fingerprints, a photo, and proof of citizenship to the FCC."
http://www.ac6v.com/history.htm

Anyone else get fingerprinted in regard to ham radio in the late-50s?.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:01:15 PM by K0OD » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:52:07 AM »

Anyone else get fingerprinted in regard to ham radio in the late-50s?.

I got first licensed in 1960, no fingerprints necessary.
It did require a trip to the FCC office and a proficiency of morse code test run by a government lady who looked like she was an ex-prison guard.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:59:07 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »

Heck, I didn't know there was a very active ham radio history group on Yahoo. There was a bit of discussion about fingerprinting on that group back in 2001 where the following was posted:

Donna......yes indeed.......before going to Boston to take my examination
(1937) I had to go to the Providence Police and be fingerprinted. It became
part of my application form.

I dont recall any such requirement for license renewals however.

Its possible that when he applied for a renewal that the fingerprinting was
still in effect and he needed to comply.

73 Norm K1AA

"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ham-Radio-History/message/5432

But I'm asking about fingerprinting around 1957. Most likely I'm wrong. When I get time I'll see what the QST database has to say. 

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:48:47 AM »

Licensed in '56.... no fingerprints required.... upgraded General '59... no fingerprints....upgraded Advanced, Extra, 1st Phone '60 no fingerprints. 

government lady who looked like she was an ex-prison guard. 

These were some serious people! 

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »

These were some serious people! 

Indeed. Just the trip to the Federal Building in Chicago was serious for a 14 year old who had no drivers License. Proving you knew the morse code in front of many people had me shaking. Seeing the mean looking FCC Government Lady talking like she was the Boss did not help either. I got the feeling if I was not properly respectful she would call in some FBI agents which were in the same building.

Nice Volunteer Examiners's are a big improvement ...  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »

Hello All; 1955- No finger prints required. 1995 or so-No fingers required-CW dropped. 2005 -NO Brain or fingers required. HI HI- Enjoy it while it's still around-the BEST hobby - EVER!!!! 73, Bunky, K4EJQ
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:08:09 PM by K4EJQ » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »

How long before, in the name of 'security', they want fingerprints AND a DNA sample?
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »

I got my first license in 1954 at the Federal building in New York. No fingerprints were required, but the code was.

73s

K2OWK
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

How long before, in the name of 'security', they want fingerprints AND a DNA sample?

http://www.infowars.com/articles/nwo/un_register_every_baby_born.htm

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »

IUO:  Let me tell you about "pressure."  The last testing I did was in Baltimore, MD.  I was taking my 2nd & 1st Phone tests.  The black lady who administered the testing and monitored the room full of men taking the test would have made Bertha Ballbuster look like someone who should be selling Girl Scout cookies!

I concluded she was an apartment building go-between the renters and the people who owned the building.  She was on the phone 6 out of the 8 hours I was in the room, raising hell and putting a rock under it with the owners about all kinds of problems.

During this time a black guy came in for the commercial test, worked on it for 15 minutes and handed it in to her.  If he was expecting a ride, he didn't get it.  She took one look at the paper and his "answers" and asked him in a very loud voice, "Why in the hell did you come in here and waste everyone's time?"  "You don't know nothing about electronics!"  And it went down hill from there.  I actually felt sorry for the guy.  She HAD to have been an Army drill Sgt. in a former life!

Now that's pressure..... trying to concentrate on the test with that going on 10ft in front of you.
W2EJG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 06:14:12 AM »

In 1951 at Christopher St in NYC,  write on old yellow paper (after the code test)  draw a power supply, describe a Colpitts Oscillator, but NO fingerprints. Three weeks later the magic paper arrived. I WAS LICENSED!
KE9PP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 07:05:12 PM »

It must have been for Civil Defense work as I too was fingerprinted by the Chicago Police for Civil Defense starting around that time and on through the Cuban Missile Crisis (what a sad joke Chicago Civil Defense was.  If I ever have the time or inclination I'll write about the total mess-up and lack of preparedness Chicago Civil Defense was in that time period.  I recognized that and I was just a teenager at that time!).
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »

I wouldn't mind a DNA sample being required as long as it involved a BIG busty Blonde.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: