Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Practice CW on a TS-590s?  (Read 6544 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

I know the Yaesu 450D has a practice CW function.  Does the TS-590s?  I want to use my paddle and see characters appear on the screen.

(I know I can setup CWGet and do the same thing, but I was just wondering if the TS-590s has that ability.  I can't find anything in the manual about it.)

thanks
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »

If I remember right, the "practice CW" function on the FT-450 _sends_ CW code groups.  I don't think it interprets your keying (or paddling).

CW Get would be my choice of methods.  Just set the TS-590 up with _no_ break-in, so it's a code-practice oscillator (with built-in keyer), and let CWGet listen to its loudspeaker.

Charles
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:49:17 AM »

The K3 can do this as well as decode CW.

If you dont want to buy a K3, get a K1EL K42 CW keyboard. Its LCD screen will decode the sent and received CW.

I own a K3 and a K42 CW keyboard and both the keyer and the decoder are much better than the K3's decoder and  CW keyer.

I have been doing CW for 40 years and have no issues sending IAMBIC. When I send and monitor on the K3 theres lots of errors. If I send  with the paddles and then into the K42 which goes into the K3  I have no errors. Its also
the same with the K1EL Winkeyer. I use the decoder during contests and the K42 decoder just blows the K3's decoder away big time. The K3's  decoder is rather intermittent and unreliable. The K42 will decode CW all day long with only minor issues. If you cant copy code the K42 will do the job well enough to  save your life and get the message. You will achieve this with the K3's decoder.

I also like playing CW TX AND RX software, CWGET and CWTYPE are exellent freeware applications that can also monitor your sending.

The K3 is a excellent CW rig however its keyer I am not impressed with, same goes for the decoder. My vote is for the K1EL K42 or any K1EL keyer.

I know the Yaesu 450D has a practice CW function.  Does the TS-590s?  I want to use my paddle and see characters appear on the screen.

(I know I can setup CWGet and do the same thing, but I was just wondering if the TS-590s has that ability.  I can't find anything in the manual about it.)

thanks
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »

thanks. I'm using CWGet for now.
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »

If you dont want to buy a K3, get a K1EL K42 CW keyboard. Its LCD screen will decode the sent and received CW.

I own a K3 and a K42 CW keyboard and both the keyer and the decoder are much better than the K3's decoder and  CW keyer.

I have been doing CW for 40 years and have no issues sending IAMBIC. When I send and monitor on the K3 theres lots of errors. If I send  with the paddles and then into the K42 which goes into the K3  I have no errors. Its also
the same with the K1EL Winkeyer. I use the decoder during contests and the K42 decoder just blows the K3's decoder away big time. The K3's  decoder is rather intermittent and unreliable. The K42 will decode CW all day long with only minor issues. If you cant copy code the K42 will do the job well enough to  save your life and get the message. You will achieve this with the K3's decoder.

I also like playing CW TX AND RX software, CWGET and CWTYPE are exellent freeware applications that can also monitor your sending.

The K3 is a excellent CW rig however its keyer I am not impressed with, same goes for the decoder. My vote is for the K1EL K42 or any K1EL keyer.

thanks
Why don't you use a program called dragon natural speaking and convert the text in to cw at any speed. You can also use a decoder to copy cw. :-) Gosh it's better get on ssb! doesn't it?
73 HA7AP
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:37:35 AM »

Why don't you use a program called dragon natural speaking and convert the text in to cw at any speed. You can also use a decoder to copy cw. :-) Gosh it's better get on ssb! doesn't it?
73 HA7AP

How about PSK31? Is special invented for nocode ops working other no code  appliance operators. You only need a kit in order to connect your PC to your appliance, of which you are the proud owner.

That assembling is of course the difficult point. But you can be very proud when you succeed in assembling it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:44:47 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »

Yeah typical arrogance  from a ham stuck in the past. Instead of being a smart ass why dont you just try and encourage  hams trying to learn the art of CW..

I operate  CW without  aids or assistance, and I like trying out different keyers and  technologies. I also use these CW decoders for things like JOTA which gets young people very excited when they see the message come across the screen rather than listening to dots and dits that they cant understand. I have helped 12 young kids get their license and guess what, 8 of them are now exclusive CW only ops! Its people like you that  are stuck in the past who dont want to evolve the hobby and let people enjoy what they want to do, if that means using CW decoders so be it. The point is that  these operators are putting their finger in the water and one day will have the ability to throw away the decoder. So grow up and change your attitude OM.

I am sure when you were a kid you also probably learned to walk and ride your bike without our your parents help or you were so good. You probably did not need those little kids bicyles with training wheels you just got on,. you just were such a super human being

People like you who are real idiots because you forget that when you started out on CW you also had to start slowly and build your CW speed with practice  over many years,  now your arrogant attitude forgets where and how you started yet you expect new CW operator to be instant 60WPM experts. If CW is dying is because of arrogant people  like you not because there is no new hams wanting to be interested in CW. You can hear this arrogance on the CW bands daily, operators who get called by slow stations yet they dont even have the courtesy of slowing down for new operators. Look at your attitude before making stupid  arrogant elitist comments.

Who really cares what method is being used if there is one more CW op on the air you should be very happy, it means you wont have to call CQ 10 times before getting an answer like it is now because of the lack CW activity outside of contests. Anything that gets new CW ops on the air should be encourage. When I see you selling your car and walking to work just because your have legs I might believe your credibility, likewise when you operate in the CW contest are you going to throw your iambic paddler keyer away and go to the straight key,,, I am sure you not such a perfectionist so dont be so critical. I see on your web page you even use I use a keyboard/paddle keyer by Chuck, W5UXH.. the point is your not a purist and are using electronic CW  helpers!

thanks
73 HA7AP
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 04:45:55 AM »

Its not  about keyboard PC modes versus CW decoders etc.

These decoders are used by many hams as a learning aid. Eventually they all throw them away as they become proficient  receiving high speed CW. Even contesters are known to use these decoders.

This is the march of technology, just as nobody uses typewriters or teleprinters for RTTY one day keyboard CW will rule the day as it is now already happening in contesting. Having arrogant attitude wont change this progression towards new and better technology.

If you want to get someone into CW quickly get them a keyboard and decoder and if they like it they will eventually become good CW operators without using any decoders or keyboards. The old  ham methods are not valid because not everyone has 40 years to become good at CW. This is just not a reality anymore like the old US novice days where radio meant using a CW key daily.  These days the bands are relatively empty of CW activity so new operators dont have the sheer  volume of QSO's to listen to for practice, sure they can use a PC trainer however that is not  as good as real on air training.

HA7AP would be better off encouraging people to  at least try CW even with decoder rather than being an arrogant elitist driving new operators away from the mode with his attitude.

73 HA7AP

How about PSK31? Is special invented for nocode ops working other no code  appliance operators. You only need a kit in order to connect your PC to your appliance, of which you are the proud owner.

That assembling is of course the difficult point. But you can be very proud when you succeed in assembling it.

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »

Yeah typical arrogance  from a ham stuck in the past. Instead of being a smart ass why dont you just try and encourage  hams trying to learn the art of CW..

Come on QRPNEW,

First of all I am sure that Sigurd- I forgot his call but I remember his 10 long toes - not eight and two large ones- and fat overweighted body, has done more for promoting CW then you with you 10 kids keeping them from their homework at school.

Furthermore, you can of course promote CW, but WHY? Is it to increase the self esteem of people that learned it in the army or commercial schools, did it for 30 years, nothing else, an alternative was cleaning the men's room, and who are now so proud when retired that they like other people to try it out so that other people think: "Wow what a guy that he can do this"?

Perhaps those guys better look for the elderly,  or do other social work, and don't promote a senseless communication mode from the era that there were no computers. Nowadays we have PSK31, you get all printed out with less bandwidth occupation then CW, so what wasting your time. Use it to learn VHDL and start realising your circuit ideas in hardware in a FPGA instead of wasting your time in some old fashioned, outdated, obsolete communication method.

Bob
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »

Even contesters are known to use these decoders

Beware me : "EVEN CONTESTERS"

Realise that a lot of big contest guns can't communicate in Morse code. They are only trained in copy their own call, have TU and 599 and an automatic increasing number under three F buttons, and a second computer with skimmer or/and dx clusters in order to call . Report 5nn is standard otherwise you are classified as a LID.

QRPNEW you really selected that user-ID correct.

This is the march of technology, just as nobody uses typewriters or teleprinters for RTTY one day keyboard CW will rule the day as it is now already happening in contesting. Having arrogant attitude wont change this progression towards new and better technology.

I can't admire your vision. CW is a bad code for automated communication. Biphase is already 6 dB better S/N ratio, and the variable length code  of PSK31 with constant bit length is again much better then Morse Code 1 and 3 elements. So WHEN we automate reception, then   is a stupid move to use CW as transmission code and it should certainly not be "progression towards new and better technology".

The old  ham methods are not valid because not everyone has 40 years to become good at CW. This is just not a reality anymore like the old US novice days where radio meant using a CW key daily.

You are really out of reality with this remark is my humble opinion. When you look at www.rufzxp.net you can watch the downloadable photographs of children  (not US citizens, because THEIR parents know everything better then the rest of the world, of course) from 6 years up, doing 30 to 70 wpm random text. Obviously they didn't need 40 years to become higher proficient then you ever will become with your decoders and typing interfaces.  When you deny: I advise starting with a DVORAK instead of QWERTY interface, that prevents relearning typing after your 40 years. And our world champion call sign copy DJ1YFK is in his early twenties I estimate.

These days the bands are relatively empty of CW activity so new operators don't have the sheer  volume of QSO's to listen to for practice, sure they can use a PC trainer however that is not  as good as real on air training.

You say so. Try Morserunner when you adorn contesting.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:22:28 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »

QRPNEW:  In case you haven't noticed, you just stepped in dog sh..!  Anyone who has prowled these forums more than once find out pretty quick there are some you just don't respond to.

Roll Eyes
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »

Indeed!  They confuse their opinion with facts, and you really can't have a meaningful debate with someone like that.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »

Indeed!  They confuse their opinion with facts, and you really can't have a meaningful debate with someone like that.

Bright analysis. I gave the facts (children proficient at 40-70 wpm, look at rufzxp.net; DJ1YFK world champion at 200 wpm  and the fact that CW is not well suited as transmission code for automated communication) And NEWQRP gave an opinion not based on facts but feelings.

But I don't see that as a problem, I think I can easily convince NWQRP with the facts, however his education will just as yours probably not be sufficient to understand the transmission code requirements in a noisy channel. So you have to check
this fact with other parties having the right level of education.

Thanks for your highly valued opinion which however  obviously confused feelings with facts.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:21:38 PM by PA0BLAH » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

Indeed!  They confuse their opinion with facts, and you really can't have a meaningful debate with someone like that.
By the way is my feeling a fact that you are a no code technician  operator ?
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 12:00:24 AM »

Its not  about keyboard PC modes versus CW decoders etc.

These decoders are used by many hams as a learning aid. Eventually they all throw them away as they become proficient  receiving high speed CW. Even contesters are known to use these decoders.

If you want to get someone into CW quickly get them a keyboard and decoder and if they like it they will eventually become good CW operators without using any decoders or keyboards. The old  ham methods are not valid because not everyone has 40 years to become good at CW. This is just not a reality anymore like the old US novice days where radio meant using a CW key daily.  These days the bands are relatively empty of CW activity so new operators dont have the sheer  volume of QSO's to listen to for practice, sure they can use a PC trainer however that is not  as good as real on air training.

HA7AP would be better off encouraging people to  at least try CW even with decoder rather than being an arrogant elitist driving new operators away from the mode with his attitude.

73 HA7AP

Dear QRPNEW!
First of all, why are you hide behind  names?Huh
Am I an arrogant person? maybe! But.......I never whined and cried how to learn cw. I just did it, because I wanted to learn it. I didn't got on the air, until I could send code by hand, and copy it by ears at 20 WPM.
Obviously it didn't took me 40 years :-) I'd say it took me about two or three month's to get there.
Go and practice! there are hundreds of programs on the web today, that can help you improve your copy skills. plus you can practice sending code, either with straight key, paddle or keyboard. Here is the magic word, PRACTICE! Nobody else would do it for you :-)
You also say, that the bands are empty! How come I have many QSO's on the bands every day?
Are you for real? you say contesters are using decoders?
News flesh!!!! Real contesters never use or used decoders. I've been a contester too and never used a decoder when I started to be a HAM I never even saw a computer at all. back in the 80's we all used paper log and dupe sheet's, but I could still copy those 50wpm guys without any problem.
I knew right away, that I will be a CW op no matter what. It doesn't  work the way you say.....oh... okay! I'll try it and will see.

73 Imi HA7AP I don't hide behind names

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: