Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get Your Feet Wet Weekend  (Read 457 times)
AD6WL

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »

Despite all the controversy about licensing and requirements, there are a lot of new hams who are intrigued with the code after passing their 5WPM.

But, like we all were (or are!), they are intimidated and nervous about getting on the air. They've had bad experiences on Field Day or other contests and QSO's where people won't QRS (slow down), and they are getting frustrated. We don't want that to happen! We want to encourage and nurture these new CW operators.  The Novice RoundUp used to be a good forum for this, but the Novice concept is obsolete. Something needs to be implemented that would include all classes of newcomers and give them a friendly place to learn the ropes.

The 2007 Get Your Feet Wet Weekend will be 00:00Z Fri Sep 14, 2007 (Thursday local) to 00:00Z Sep 17 (Sunday local).

The focus is on sending slowly and clearly and sending the exchange in order. No memory or programable keyers or code readers are allowed - human-powered transmissions only. Certificates will be sent out to the top three scorers in each category free of charge.

The rules: Operate under one of two categories for the entire event, Newcomer or Experienced. You can be licensed a long time but still be a Newcomer to CW or contesting. You're on the honor system: Choose whichever describes your ability.

Suggested calling frequencies are 3.558, 7.110, 14.110, 21.110, and 28.110. If you don't hear anyone, go ahead and call. Get your feet wet and jump in with a CQ FC on a clear frequency. YOU are there listening; chances are someone else is listening and waiting to hear a CQ, too.

Call CQ FC.

The Exchange: Callsign/N (newcomer) or Callsign/E (experienced), RST, Name, QTH, FISTS number or power, last two digits of the year licensed.

Example: WZ8C/E, 599, Nancy, MI, 0379, 88.

Count 2 points for working someone out of your category, 1 point for working someone in your category.

Multipliers are number of stations that were licensed during the last six years. For example in 2007, it would be stations licensed in 2002-2007, in year 2008 it would be stations licensed in 2003-2008, and so on.

Stations may be worked once per band for points, but their multiplier only counts once.

No WARC bands.

Contacts must be 2-way human-keyed CW (Iambics are fine - just no computerized or memory keyers).

Logs will be sent to Lee Hallin N7NU 3413 Walton Ln, Eugene OR 97408
or in ADIF format to hallinl@lanecc.edu within 30 days of the end of the event.

Logs and Summary pages can be downloaded here. They are in Word and RTF format so they should be compatable with any word processing program, including wordpad:

http://www.fists.org/getfeetwet.html

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »

This is a good thing.  

I hope experienced CW ops get out there and do the right thing with it.  

Might be a good time for the old hands to treat this like Straight Key Night experience, too, break out the old stuff, which would be far less boring for us older CW ops than simply jacking the old Lionel J-38 into the modern rig, eh?  

Just make sure ahead of time that the old rig comes down off the shelf for a shakedown, let's not have a buncha "sick chickens" out there for the noobs to try to copy, okay?  (grin)

The old Heathkit PS malady, y'know.

"Bawk-Bi-Baw-Bick, Bawk-Baw-Bi-Baawwwk"

HI

--KE3WD
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:54:44 AM »

That's a pretty complicated exchange for newcomers.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:45:46 PM »

Yes, it's complicated.   But I was on tonight, and everyone was nice and slow.  I needed several repeats, and got them.

Nobody is going to run this contest for maximum contacts per hour.

Charles

AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »

I got about 20 contacts.

Including one FISTS contact who wasn't in the contest.

Also experienced a good pile up with multiple signals EXACTLY zero-beat with me. Took a second to realize what it was and then a repeat to pick off a couple of characters so that I could come back to somebody.

Good practice for the California QSO party in a couple of weeks.

73 de Donald
NY0R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 06:57:35 PM »

I would like to chime in here and say that I had good success logging my first batch of CW contacts during GYFWW. Everyone was polite and suffered through my newbie code, and I received only encouragement and positive comments.  This contest is really a great way to promote new interest in CW and was exactly what I needed personally to get going, after nearly a year of off & on practicing since I was first licensed last fall.

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: