Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back on the air!  (Read 1004 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »

I was out of commission for a few weeks. One storm came in and hit me thru the cable TV wire. Killed my FT-950's RS-232 port, my cable modem, my VHF cable amp, TV, and USB-serial attached to my 950.

Luckily, I had a great insurance company and they replaced the radio. I replaced the TV for $129 from BJs,  and Comcast did their thing. The sad thing was that the 950 may have had a minor failure, but because it was a lightning hit, it was considered a total. BTW, I did not get to keep the old rig. The insurance company took it.

I did have one victim, and that was the Malta activation that I ended up missing. Oh well. Maybe next time.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »

Glad you got things worked out there with satisfactory results.

9H should not be a problem, they are active a lot of the time. 73, Gene AF3Y
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

A bit OT, but did you replace your 950 with another one?  I have been looking at those but I have seen some comments about the "cheap" feel, and there does seem to be a lot of them for sale.  How do (did) you like yours?

Richard
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »

OK, I should have checked before I asked, but I did find your review from about 1 year ago that is pretty detailed.  I will ask if you still feel the same way one year later?

Richard
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »

A bit OT, but did you replace your 950 with another one?  I have been looking at those but I have seen some comments about the "cheap" feel, and there does seem to be a lot of them for sale.  How do (did) you like yours?

Richard

I did get another 950. I loved it. I never saw any problem with the knobs. They feel fine to me. I once had an Icom 746 and it's knobs were no different than the 950. FWIW, Yaesu has an upgraded knob kit for the 950, and there are also aftermarket knob kits for the 950.

Trust me, for $1,400, there isn't a radio in it's (price) class. The closest radios are the TS-590, which is about $200 more. The K3 is way more. I think the Icom 7410 is also much higher.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »

I got a few more QSLs during the downtime, including the ever elusive Romania. I think I have 162 confirmed. So, I am glad to be back on the air.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »

N4NYY - Fine business and thanks for your thoughts.  It is very helpful to get opinions from those who are looking at it from the same perspective as I am (DXing).

Richard
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »

N4NYY - Fine business and thanks for your thoughts.  It is very helpful to get opinions from those who are looking at it from the same perspective as I am (DXing).

Richard

If you were a heavy contester, I would recommended the AC0C roofing filter. If you do not, I would leave the stock filter. I stayed with the stock filter.

The antenna tuner is noisy, because it is heavy on relay chatter noise, as opposed to servo motor noise, which is much quieter. The noise never bothered me. It is not a submarine. But some people cannot deal with it. Too many anal retentive reviews whining about small things.

There are a couple of quick split freq functions. I use them all the time for DXing. I typically do not have to fiddle with controls if the split is not 5 KHz. Push the LED switches and you are instantaneously split.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »

I think he means 1A0C not the island of Malta. That could take awhile.

Chris/Nu1O
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »

Chris/Nu1O

That is the one. My rig crapped out right during that activation!

LOL
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »

Chris/Nu1O

That is the one. My rig crapped out right during that activation!

LOL

OK......Understand.   That kinda sucks, but once again, they will be back.  I worked SMOM a few years ago and was lucky enough to pick up a new band/mode on this expedition.

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: