Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK...who here uses a tri-magnet mount????.....  (Read 14819 times)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »

"I buy the mag mount independent of the antenna."
This is what a professional does. The rest of these folks bought their magnetic antennas at Radio Shack. Grin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:48:49 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »

There has never been a documented case of anyone being injured by a flying magnetic mount.  

Can you prove that? Have you reviewed all the insurance claims from around the world? I suspect not.

At the speeds where a mag mount is likely to fail, the road your on will either be a country road with very few people about, or a fast motorway/interstate/autobahn (just covering the international bases there) where pedestrians are rightly barred. The roads where there is a high likelyhood of a person being close enough are also the roads where your speed is likely to be too low for the issue to occur.

Yes, magmounts do blow off, even professional ones with a light load. One of my professional mounts failed on me whilst travelling at 60mph on the M62 motorway in the UK (the magnet seperated), it was carrying a 1/2w 2m whip. It did not harm anyone or anything else, as the coax did not seperate, and so it dragged along the road for a bit, just denting my car.

Basing your idea that there safe on the fact you havent seen a report of any harm is false. Find out the strength of the magnets and their area, get the physics equations and work out the load they can take, then under rate it, and only put on as light a load as you can. Magmounts are for small VHF whips, bite the bullet and drill a hole

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »

You must be new! Yes, I previously researched this with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the National Safety Council. There is not one listed accident or injury, except in your emotional opinion. I'll let you call "all the insurance companies from around the world" to prove me wrong. You believe in Global Warming too, correct?  Roll Eyes

What are you going to do when all the cars are made of plastic and have carbon fiber frames to reduce fuel consumption? Drilling a hole for better antenna performance won't do you any good then. Looks like it is going to be window glass antenna time. Better get ready for the future!  Wink

By the way, what model of Radio Shack "Professional Mount" was that and why did you buy one that was too small for the antenna?  Shocked
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:36:51 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 05:03:06 AM »

Name one incident or time when someone elses car was damaged by a flying mag mount antenna. Name one incident where someone was harm by one. You cannot because it has never been documented to have happened. Some preach gloom and doom just for the sake of doing it.

This is the perfect example of twisting words.  You say I'm preaching doom and gloom while I'm simply saying that caution should be used when using such compromise mounting schemes.  

BTW, you can't seem to remember what you've read.  I've alread said this earlier in this thread:
....There may not have been a case where a magmount has been cited as the reason for injury or death, simply because there aren't enough of them compared to the amount of vehicles on the road AND other more common causes of injury....

If you weren't so full of yourself, maybe more people here would pay attention to you and not disregard your blather.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:05:17 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 05:07:04 AM »

This is what a professional does. The rest of these folks bought their magnetic antennas at Radio Shack. Grin

True professionals don't use magmounts at all.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 06:11:41 AM »

I don't think someone who uses a "plug and play" antenna from Radio Shack stuck in a bucket for a 2 meter base antenna, instead of just constructing one and properly installing it, would know what professionals use.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:17:45 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:05 AM »

From what I've read here a tri mag mount sounds good to me. I'll mount my ATAS-120 on one with two magnets forward.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

True professionals don't use magmounts at all.

Says who you?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 05:47:37 AM »

You must be new! Yes, I previously researched this with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the National Safety Council. There is not one listed accident or injury, except in your emotional opinion. I'll let you call "all the insurance companies from around the world" to prove me wrong. You believe in Global Warming too, correct?  Roll Eyes

What are you going to do when all the cars are made of plastic and have carbon fiber frames to reduce fuel consumption? Drilling a hole for better antenna performance won't do you any good then. Looks like it is going to be window glass antenna time. Better get ready for the future!  Wink

By the way, what model of Radio Shack "Professional Mount" was that and why did you buy one that was too small for the antenna?  Shocked

New? I guess your research skills are not as good as you think. , and i dont know where you get this emotional thing from, the only person getting upset seems to be you, because everyone else can see the potential for an accident, and your convinced that since you havent seen it, it cant happen. ILook back at those case files, and see how many have an undisclosed or undetermined cause, such as 'flying debris' or 'loose cqargo'. Not too many underwirters or loss adjusters know what a magmount is

Oh, and professionals do use mag mounts, as the section of my compalny that intalls emergency services will tell you, there are many reasons why.

and yes, i DO believe in global warming - perhaps its down to the fact that i have studied it, impartially, and believe peer reviewed journals rather than the opinion of someone on a forum orthe media bias.

ive seen them come off, ive seen the damage.

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 05:54:07 AM »

ooh, i missed that one!

my mount was by Panorama, a very high grade professional supplier, here in the UK. The same supplier we use for the emergency services.

I see that again your research skill fails you, and instead you just make up things. Since i have given no information about the physical size and properties of the mount, your assumption that it was too small is unfounded, and just like your assertian that no accidents have been caused by a failed mount, is based entirely on your random imagination

I bet your the kind of person who claims on your insurance for repair of a minor scratch you caused yourself, and then complain when your premium goes up and you lose your bonus!

W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »

i DO believe in global warming ...

Here's the scientific evidence that I believe.

http://www.w5dxp.com/globwarm.JPG
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »

i DO believe in global warming ...

Here's the scientific evidence that I believe.

http://www.w5dxp.com/globwarm.JPG

Indeed cecil, and herein lies the problem, the term 'global warming' was taken by the media, and in reality means nothing. The correct term is climate change. The whole thing is about high altitude atmospheric chemistry, not in any way warming at tropopheric level. The end result is that the atmosphere will find a new equilibrium, and the effect on the troposphere is to change the processes, not to 'warm it up'.

however, this isnt the forum for that discussion

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »

...Oh, and professionals do use mag mounts, as the section of my compalny that intalls emergency services will tell you, there are many reasons why....

Only if there are absolutely no other alternatives.  Here in the states on officer assigned patrol cars, police will sometimes have their own radios or scanners mounted in the car besides their official radios.  You'll see trunk lid clamp antennas much more than you'll see magnetic mounts used simply because those officers KNOW that the magnetic mounts aren't fully reliable.

Professional installers will never put a magmount on a vehicle as a 'permanent' antenna--again unless the customer wants it--and then the installers will try to talk the customer out of using one.

There are other mounting schemes that are much more reliable--and less expensive, both to purchase cost AND removal cost--than magmounted antennas.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2012, 07:13:26 AM »

There are other mounting schemes that are much more reliable--and less expensive, both to purchase cost AND removal cost--than magmounted antennas.

It is not always so simple. Antennas with very high torque loads on mounts like HF antennas can easily distort, bend or fracture thin roof metal in todays cars unless hole is properly gusseted to make it stronger. A tri mag mount spread torque load over a very large area and will hold it better.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »

"Oh, and professionals do use mag mounts, as the section of my compalny that intalls emergency services will tell you, there are many reasons why."

So what is the name of your company, what position do you hold in the company and who do you install emergency services for? Name them please.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:08:53 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: