Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 706mk2g mobile  (Read 1425 times)
K4IDK

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:29 AM »

I've got an oddball problem.  I have an Icom 706mk2g in my Jeep and one day when I turned it on I tuned across the bands and couldn't hear anything at all.  I assumed that I had an antenna problem and a week or so later I looked it over and all was well with the antenna.  Then yesterday I turned it on to see once again if I could figure out the problem and discovered that it's apparently transmitting all of the time!

I removed the microphone, hoping that it was something simple like a bad mike, but that didn't cure it. 

I'm not positive that it's transmitting all of the time, but the display shows a full bar on Power Out. 

Has anyone ever seen a radio, or better yet, this specific radio do this?! 

Any ideas for a cure?

Thanks,
Robert
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »

Inside there are copper "fingers" that are supposed to establish Grounds.  Open 'er up and look for hose at the edge of boards, remove them and bend them outwards so that they gain new "purchase" on the metal case/chassis. 

Also tighten (reasonable torque now...) all board hold down screws that are visible, as whent hey loosen, well, some of those are Grounding points also. 

Be sure to also check the SO-239 pigtail, connections here often get broken.  Use the ohmmeter to check continuity of center from board connection to center of plug, while flexing the cable to see if the meter changes.  Do the same for the shield.  Then connect ohmmeter to both center and shield and repeat the flexing, this time looking for shorts.  Examine where it solders to the circuit board closely as well, if anything looks in doubt, resolder the two connections, adding just a wee bit of new solder to it as well.  Shiny is the look of the healthy solder joint. 

Finally, remove the front faceplate and clean the contacts on both faceplate and radio proper using Deoxit on a Q-tip, or at least some alcohol. 

These are fairly standard maintenance issues with the mobile 706.  The temperature extremes of the mobile, along with the vibration of the road, well, every once in a while we have to go in there and tighten things up.

Good Luck,

K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  I'm not sure which one it was, but I cracked open the case and tightened everything down and now it's working just fine. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: