Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the fastest?  (Read 421 times)
KN1W

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:04:23 AM »

There was a video piece on WSJ about an operator who can receive up to 140 WPM, The reporter also mentioned this ham is ranked #8 in the country. I know that during the McElroy years there used to be morse competitions at the World Fairs and this will established the Cw ranking.

I have two questions, Where is this list/ranking? and Who determines the order of it?

The reason for the question is not to compare who has the biggest gun on the West, I am interested in understanding more on how Cw operators get to the level.

I am happy with my 15wpm for now!

Thanks,

de KN1W
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:26:50 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Telegraphy
KN1W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 11:56:55 AM »

Great info!

Thanks,
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 01:22:56 PM »

Follow this link:

http://www.rufzxp.net/

There is an application you can download, work on your speed and compete if you desire.

Wayne
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:07:15 PM »

One must understand what is being asked when they say 'Who is the fastest?'.

RUFZ is a program that generates only call signs at high speeds. Receiving such is quite different from having a conversation at high speeds. However, the guys/gals who practice for the RUFZ should be recognized for what they do as it is a unique accomplishment.

The McElroy record was under set conditions, i.e., copy had to be done on a typewriter, making that a much tougher process.

Having a conversational QSO at speeds in excess of 80 to 100 wpm, which is what I do, is just a very enjoyable part of the hobby. It is not nearly as difficult as copying call signs at 200 wpm or typing out copied messages at 72 wpm.

The good thing is you have your choice of what you would like to do; even staying below 20 wpm is certainly OK for a hobby!

Tom - W4BQF
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 11:35:25 PM »

Typewriters make copying faster.  

Handwriting isn't even possible past a certain speed, which McElroy was well past.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: