Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WIRELESS INTERNET  (Read 2419 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »

I've finally had enough of dial-up internet access.  I'm thinking of going to a wireless ISP like clear; you avoid the hassles of installation and early termination fees.

QUESTIONS:

Does anybody have experience with a wireless ISP like Clear?

Can you use a wireless ISP with any computer?  How can you tell if your computer can handle a wireless ISP?

Are wireless ISP's secure?  How do you secure (or encrypt) data sent and received?  I do a lot of business online.

Thanks!

N9LCD
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »

The wireless adapter can be hooked to computer or a router. As far as security, while it is protocol encrypted you can use SSL encryption with business/bank transactions just like you do on regular Internet. 

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »

I've been doing it for years via Sprint and it works great.  The security of the wireless signal is not an issue with modern cell phone networks.  The signal between your wireless device and the cell site is encrypted.  And as W8JX said, you use standard internet encryption schemes just as one does when using DSL or a cable modem for internet access. 

Vince
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »

I've had Clearwire for a couple of years. Not toooo bad during the winter,
But during the spring/summer months it sucks.

There are trees between me and the cell tower and the connection varies with
weather, and the movement of the trees along with leaf growth.

I have to place the antenna/box on top of my AC unit which is in the only window that I
have access to an electrical plug and can get any kind of signal for the internet connection.

Can't watch videos unless I first download them with something like Video Downloadhelper.

Online games can be all but impossible at times, and I find myself constantly moving the box across
the top of the AC unit at different times of the day in hope of finding the current "sweet Spot" to try to get more than 1-2 signal indicator lights (out of 5)
to light up.
So I guess depending on location in relation to the cell phone tower YMMV
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »

Outdoor rated high gain antennas would fix problem above. Unless I was close to a tower I would use a external antenna for best possible wireless connection.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »

Outdoor rated high gain antennas would fix problem above. Unless I was close to a tower I would use a external antenna for best possible wireless connection.

The Antenna is built in to the box with no provision to add an external antenna
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »

The Antenna is built in to the box with no provision to add an external antenna

You might want to take a look at this: http://wimaxsatx.com/?p=824
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: