Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AND YOU THOUGHT THE "RAT SHACK" WAS BAD!!!  (Read 5378 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »

I've read a lot of complaints about the "Rat Shack's" and other retailers' returns policies.

Well, here's a new one about their CASH sales policy:

I walked into a Micro-Center, picked-up a USB mouse and headed to the check-out.  The mouse was $4.99 plus a 9.5% sales tax.  So, I got 6 bucks in my hand, ready to pay:

CLERK:  Your last name.

ME:  WHAT?  I'M PAYING CASH!

CLERK:  I know.

ME:  Well, then why do you need my name?

CLERK:  Well, we want it!

ME:  NO!

He finally backed-off.  I guess a sale is more important than personal information -- IF YOU'RE IRATE ENOUGH.

The nerve of asking CASH customers for personal information.  Don't they make enough on the c@#& they sell?  What are they doing?  Branching out into personal data collection and sales?

N9LCD

Angry   
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »

Thats bad? Years ago I walked into a game store to buy a used video game and trade an old one in. After looking around, deciding what I want, I got to the counter and they practically want my life story!! Full name, address, phone, adult signature (I was only 13), picture ID, and told me I had to join their member program to trade my old game for cash.I told them I had cash, but "NO exceptions". I quickly left, but not before exchanging a few choice words about their store policy. Never went back.

-Alex
KC2VDM

W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:27:32 AM »

i am a cash only guy.. when places want personal info. i tell them get bent. ether take the cash or another store will take it.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:54:34 AM »

Some of these upstart stores want that info for one reason--mailing lists.  Not only do they send you stuff that you don't want (and that the post office delivers for nearly free--but that's another gripe) they sell your name and address to mailing list companies that sell that list to others!

I agree about not giving that info--and if its so important to the store--walk out.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »

Much kinder is to give them an address. Not yours, and preferably one that doesn't exist. Or one abroad 'where I normally work'.
K6TTE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »

Don't get angry, just have fun with it.

There are so many great opportunities to pull their chain.  I like to give them William Claude Dukenfield...  Be sure to do it deapan.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »

Ah, yessssh.  Ol' W.C. himself.  (Step back, son.  Y'bother me...).

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »

Some years ago, the XYL was on business in Sunnyvale, and I asked her to get something from HRO for me. So in she goes and says' My husband asked me to get this'. No problem, and they get to the actual paying bit. 'Can you remember your husband's callsign?' he asks. Her response was 'Yes, but shouldn't you really have mine?'

Caused some confusion......
KF5JOT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »

Long years ago when pressed for name and address, I used to give them:

I.B. Amoron
1600 Pennsylvania Ave
Washington DC

Be suprized at how many didn't recognize the address.....A few caught it as I was giving the zip.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »

Or you could give them the name and address of someone who you weren't quite so friendly with! Grin
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »

Thats bad? Years ago I walked into a game store to buy a used video game and trade an old one in. After looking around, deciding what I want, I got to the counter and they practically want my life story!! Full name, address, phone, adult signature (I was only 13), picture ID, and told me I had to join their member program to trade my old game for cash.I told them I had cash, but "NO exceptions". I quickly left, but not before exchanging a few choice words about their store policy. Never went back.

-Alex
KC2VDM

A local game store told me they needed the information because they are treated under the law as a pawn shop, buying and selling used items, and pawn shops are required to keep detailed records.
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:11:26 PM »

There might be some truth to the pawn thing... in Fresno, you can't trade your games at Gamespot on Sundays due to an anti-pawn law on Sundays. Of course, you can go 2 miles down the road to Clovis and do it there. Stupid laws.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
KI4VQP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 05:42:22 AM »

Anytime someone wants my info without needing it:

Richard M Nixon
1600 Pennsylvania ave

or

Ronald W Reagan
same address

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

Home Depot used to require a photo identification for any returns they accepted.  They actually said that that was to prevent excessive returns from any one person.  They stopped after they were sued by someone who wasn't allowed to return an item because of "excessive returns."
KD8HMB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »

The power of the word "NO".
Any time a clerk asked me for my personal info at checkout, I just tell them that I don't give out personal information. They almost always accept this and don't ask again.

My favorite one is from a local home center store that asked me for a phone number "just in case you want to return it" .  I asked the clerk if my sales receipt wasn't good enough?  "Well, the phone number is in case you lose your receipt"
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: