Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening from China  (Read 11386 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »

I get to make a trip to China soon, Beijing and mountains in the interior. I will be taking a small cheap SW receiver. Will there be much to listen to in English? Does jamming still happen?
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

Far as I know, signal jamming is done by mainly N Korea nowadays to Korean BCs. Take this link with ya on the computer
http://www.short-wave.info/
still lots of English BCs out of the Asias, as well as Russia, Australia, India, Africa etc that you will probably get out there depending on conditions. China Radio International runs English all day there you will find out in that link.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »

Most of the jamming I hear coming from China is being used to block VoA's and Radio Free Asia's Chinese broadcasts.  I think I've also heard jamming being used against Taiwan's "Voice Of The Strait" broadcasts, also in Chinese. 

I know the BBC broadcasts to Asia in English on the 31 meter band (listed on 9740 to SEAsia from 0900 to 1600 UTC) and I haven't heard any jamming on that, so you may be able to pick that up.  Radio Australia broadcasts in English to Asia as well.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »

During the trip only had a little time for SWL'ing. In the major cities RFI was a big problem. A lot of hash everywhere on the bands. One night I spent in Leshan (much smaller city a little south of Chengdu) was the best night of listening.

In Beijing English-language CRI is on the AM band (1010? 1008?). Even including "drive time".

Throughout most of China, English-language BBC and VOA broadcasts were easily available. Also heard several Russian broadcasts but did not thoroughly ID. VOA Simplified English, I have a hard time having the patience for :-).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: