The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone familiar with MFJ-452 Keyer w/KB operation???  (Read 325 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2016, 06:09:14 PM »

I have obtained TWO (2) MFJ-452 keyers, each w/a kb.  Have the same problem with BOTH items.

Seems, as soon as it is connected (keyer to rig) the keyer gives CONSTANT OUTPUT???   I fully checked ALL control wiring (with meters).  Command F9
with "O" [as explained in manual]>CONSTANT OUTPUT CONTROL.  NO n/off keying.  Command F11>does NOT operate [again explained in manual]>CONSTANT OUTPUT CONTROL, correctly.  I, even checked ALL software commands and still NO control.  All OTHER software commands [explained in manual], both keyers w/kb operate correctly.
I do not use the rigs internal keyer, use external keyer; hook-up wiring is checked to be correct.

Am I missing something???

Ken KC8Y
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »

I have an MFJ-493 which actually does work on a keyboard (but only the older ones with the big round connector... which, being an old IT guy, I have plenty of, LOL). I do have some issues with the keyer but in general it works pretty well. If I get arthritis worse than I have now then I will be able to fall back to a kb (argh!).

At any rate, in the 493 if you hold the "menu" key down and turn it on you will reset it. Try that.

Good luck. It seems that most of the MFJ keyers have issues after a while. A bunch of the contesters just buy a new one (at least the 49* series) because they are so darn good in a contest.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »

Thank you your response.

BOTH of my mfj-452 w/KB, are brand new & NEVER did work OUTPUT CORRECTLY, since day one!!!!!. 

Looked on MFJ URL; site has NO model of mfj-493 keyer.   Closes they have are: 39265C, 4936C24 & ...others .

I'm elderly, also and handicap Sad

Ken KC8Y
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »

When you say "continuous output", do you mean:

. . . A continuous, unvarying signal -- a "key-down" condition, or:

. . . A continuous string of dits or dahs ?

If it's the second one, then probably, your rig has its internal keyer turned on.   You need to turn it off.

.          Charles

PS -- what kind of plug are you using, to go into the rig?  2-contact (tip / sleeve ) or 3-contact (tip / ring / sleeve) ?

K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 12:17:15 PM »

Thank you your response.

BOTH of my mfj-452 w/KB, are brand new & NEVER did work OUTPUT CORRECTLY, since day one!!!!!. 

Looked on MFJ URL; site has NO model of mfj-493 keyer.   Closes they have are: 39265C, 4936C24 & ...others .

I'm elderly, also and handicap Sad

Ken KC8Y

I think the latest is the MFJ-492 (the 492X has more memory). MFJ has produced versions of this keyer since the 1990s. The one I have is no longer in the list.

The 452 you have gets decent reviews. Have you tried a different keyboard? The manual for the 452 says that if you don't use an AT style keyboard you could damage the keyer and they specifically mention an XT keyboard being a problem.

Here is what an XT style keyboard looks like: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/layout/stdXT83-c.html

Make sure you're using the right keyboard before you contact MFJ.

Have you contacted MFJ? They do have a repair service. Technical help is at 601-323-0549

Good luck. Using a kb for CW is no big deal if you're handicapped. I'm 73 and have arthritic hands but still can do a bug and a paddle but I can sure see how it would be a problem for some.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: