Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the Japanese withstand the Chinese Radio onslaught?  (Read 7720 times)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

I would bet the JA manufacturers hardly even notice the Chinese are even in the business. Most of the JA profits come from the high end gear and the Chinese haven't goten around to copying that level of equipment yet.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:31 PM »

Can the Japanese withstand the Chinese Radio onslaught?

They should be able to do at least as well as the US manufacturers did against the Japanese onslaught a few years back!
Tom
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

You make it sound like there are no copyright or trademark suits brought in the US  Grin

But if there's to be a boycott, it doesn't make any sense to stop at radios. Everything from lightbulbs to jeans.

You've got a point, but that isn't what I did mean.  It probably would be interesting to find out how many of those suits were brought by manufacturers in other countries against manufacturers here in the US.  I'm willing to say quite plainly that that number would be dwarfed by the number brought by manufacturers against Chinese companies.  73!
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

There is a Chinese essay called the 36 stratagems.

They are basically examples of attitudes which can help you to succeed in different situations.

One of them for example is "Watch the tigers fight".

This means if you are a tiger hunter and see two tigers fighting, wait until they exhaust each other and then strike your blow.
Obviously you can see how this can apply to modern day conflicts as much as to tiger hunting.

Another saying is "Sacrifice the plum to save the peach".

This was to say that if a peach tree's roots are attacked by worms, the plum tree nearby invites them to eat it's roots instead.
The Chinese government knew many years ago that they needed western high technology.
So, they sacrificed some degree of communism and collectivism to gain this "peach" of western technology.

In this way, they saved their government and gained what they wanted, while still retaining central control.
Intellectual property and western systems of law are just that - western ideas.
It is not a given that every culture accepts these tenets of our civilization, and to think so is naive.

I am not making a value judgement as to the relative merits of one society over another.
But if we do not exercise due diligence we may find we sacrifice our peach tree to save the plum.

73 - Rob

W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »

Work had a lot of Kenwood 2 way UHF radios for business use.  Got hard use.  Started falling apart and failing. After years of abuse.  Someone got the bright idea of replacing them with Chinese commercial UHF radios. UAW branded.  THey work fine and presumably cost alot less than replacing old Kenwoods with new Kenwoods.  No ham conversion bonanza there, all trunked radios anyway. And trashed out. The new UAW ones are not trunked but it does not matter for our uses, now.  I guess that when if ever, my Icom HT fails, a Chinese model may replace it.  But so far my old Icom is still ticking, just as the two old 2ATs I have are still working.  I am concerned about whether the Chinese radios can be pirated or meet FCC specs. Going way back, can you imagine what those Chin. HT's would cost if made in the US?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 05:08:11 AM »

The world today is a far different place than it was at the end of WWII.  Most countries in this world now know that cooperation and mutual respect gain them a lot more than threats and bullying.  The exceptions to that are the nations that want to do as they please--to name a few of the headliners, Iran, N. Korea and China.  Iran and N. Korea are still looking to the military type of bullying, while China sees that that type of bullying isn't really effective--so they've gone to the economic type of bullying, strictly controlling their currency, ignoring mutually accepted copyright and patent laws, and so on.

The idea of "Western Ideals" isn't a dream like it was at the end of WWII, it is more or a reality than it ever was.  Those nations that still want to and still try to do as they please are still not realizing that mutual cooperation seems to be the way to do business these days.  BTW, if you don't agree--look at OPEC.  THOSE nations found that out--in a big way--and are holding the rest of the world to ransom by doing so.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »

When the Chinese finally come out with the all mode, 160 to 440 rig for under $300, it will be the game changer. 
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »

When the Chinese finally come out with the all mode, 160 to 440 rig for under $300, it will be the game changer. 

Yes, I think you are right.

If you keep dropping the price of anything, even a box of dead flies, someone will buy it.

73 - Rob
WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »

K1CJS treads into the waters of Political Science/Economics and International affairs all in one post.
And gives us his analysis circa: 1982.

The era of "Western ideals"  in the 21st century is a fast fading memory. It is currently in the vogue to write of Western decline and influence. And surely recent events bear this out.  The Euro's fiscal woes, the delusion of an "Arab spring", the rise of radical muslim states, even increasing hostility in Latin America.  Fareed Zakaria ( reformed plagiarist of late and veteran of the Council on Foreign Relations ) writes of this decline in his best seller, "The Post American World".  As does Politcal Scientist Ian Bremmer's recently published, Every Nation for Itself "A world order in which no single country or durable alliance of countries can meet the challenges of global leadership. What happens when the G20 doesn’t work and the G7 is history?"

Mutual cooperation isn't much practiced now.  25 years ago, Europe, Japan and the USA were the dominant forces in the world. Today, "they struggle to find their footing".  Europe is on the ropes. Japan has been economically marginalized for 20 years. And the US with massive debt, 2 inconclusive wars, domestic political dysfunction and ever increasing entitlements  on both ends of the demographic spectrum is hardly in a position to push "pax Americana" as it did in the 2 decades after WW II.  And what about Russia?  Now democratic but hardly "cooperative". And what of the US "Pivot" to Asia as the rise of the Pacific Rim looms over the world?

The era of American exceptionalism is over. As Thomas Friedman said in last week's NY Times. "Average is over". And that's what most Americans are.  "Average".

NOTE: I'm reading Bremmer's book but have not read Zakaria's.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:22:40 PM by WA4D » Logged
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »

At least the Japanese rigs don't support the Chinese army, yet.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: