Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N4URW not as he says  (Read 6731 times)
W1SWR

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »

I bought a radio off Joel w4urw. His statement in add was. ( I don't  buy junk and I don't sell junk )
Well the radio I bought from him was misrepresented.  The radio was modified for 11 meters
One of the VFO functions did not work correctly.
I sent Joel a message telling him this situation and he said it was fine when he sold it, there is no way that this radio could have been OK when he shipped it out. This is a known problem with the rig.
 He also stated that the fellow that he bought it off never used HF just VHF UHF.
He stated he would help out on the cost of repair. Now he does not answer any emails
When I sent him the cost of repair. It's not a costly repair but between shipping both ways
And cost of repair, would be about $200.  He misleaded his add knowing the problems.
Part are also hard to come by.

So if you see anything for sale by Joel, beware.

N4URW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »

RADIO WAS BOUGHT FROM A FRIEND. I ONLY HAD THE RADIO FOR A ABOUT A MONTH AND ONLY USED IT ON 2 METER VHF AND 20 AND 40 METERS. BUYER FIRST CLAIMED THAT IT DID NOT WORK ON 40 AND 80 METERS. COME TO FIND OUT THE BUYER DID NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE RADIO AND LATER SAID THAT IT WAS FINE. THEN CLAIMS THAT THE RADIO HAD MODS AND ACCUSED ME OF DOING THE MODS. EXPLAINED TO THE BUYER THAT I DID NO MODS AND ALSO THAT THE RADIO WORKED FINE THE FEW WEEKS I HAD IT. RADIO WORKED GREAT FOR ME AND I HAD NO PROBLEMS. I HAVE ALWAYS ANSWERED HIS EMAILS EXCEPT WHEN I WAS OUT OF TOWN WITH MY COMPANY ON BUSSINESS FOR A WEEK AND A HALF. (SOME OF US STILL WORK). I HAVE BEEN HONEST WITH THIS GUY FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. I EVEN OFFERRED TO HELP WITH THE REPAIRS OF THE RADIO BECAUSE I WAS CONCERNED THAT HE WASN'T HAPPY. I THINK THIS GUY BOUGHT A RADIO THAT HE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HE DID TO IT. IF THE RADIO WAS MOD'ED, I WAS UNAWARE AND I EXPLAINED THAT TO HIM. IF YOU LOOK AT MY FEEDBACK ON QTH, QRZ AND EBAY YOU WILL SEE THAT ALL OF MY FEEDBACKS HAVE BEEN POSITIVE. EBAY IS 100% POSITIVE. I HAVE BENT OVER BACKWARDS FOR THIS GUY TO MAKE HIM HAPPY AND FOR HIM TO POST NEGITIVE FEEDBACK FOR ME IS UNFAIR AND UNJUST. I HAVE BEEN A HAM FOR 34 YEARS AND HAVE DEALT WITH MANY A HAM AND THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT I HAVE HAD THAT POSTED A NEGITIVE FEEDBACK. I NEVER MISLEAD THE BUYER AND I STILL BY MY QUOTE THAT I DO NOT BUY JUNK NOR SELL JUNK. THIS GUY IS JUST UNHAPPY BECAUSE HE BOOUGHT A RADIO THAT IS NOT EASY FOR HIM TO OPERATE AND NOW HE WANTS A REFUND. IN MY ADS IT ALSO STATES "ALL SALES FINAL". I WAS GOING TO HELP HIM WITH THE REPAIRS UNTIL I SAW THIS NEGITIVE FEEDBACK. THANKS STEVE, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN NOW. I TRIED TO WORK WITH YOU BUT YOU DECIDED TO TAKE THIS ROUTE. HAVE A NICE DAY. JOEL / N4URW

JOEL
W1SWR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »

I have been into Amateur radio for 45 years, I do know what i am doing in most cases. The radio has know issues and that is Rotary Encoder, Power Switch.
He stated when it was sold it was in good condition. The radio has a extended hf mod done, not unusual but all the adds i see say that the radio has extended rec mod .
If this was stated when he was selling the radio , it would have never been bought.  I am repairing the radio at my own expense . He seem
sincere and he did offer to share in the cost of repair but when i sent him an email back he never answered, I did not know he was out of town.
I have copy's of all his emails.
But i did not leave this feed back one day after, i waited a week and never herd from him.   I have 100% feedback anywhere you want to look on the internet.

I will repair this radio as i said at my expense and when i see that the radio is all fixed , i may keep it or sell it
but the buyer will know the story on the radio. It will be check out fully before its sold. I still stick to my statement, If he check it out before he sold it
then he most likely would have never sold it. That was his fault. I am sure any of you out there would make sure or tell anyone of a problem
with a piece of equipment before you sold it or at least say you never ran it on all functions and bands. But what i cant understand is if you would go into
the menus and at that point you would know something was wrong or if you added something to memory. The radio is not easily run with out using the Rotary encoder.
He said it might have happen in shipment, Please. Read some feedback on the radio witch is my fault i never did.
This is most likely this first time i have ending up with a radio i bought in bad electronic condition, cosmically the radio is fine. Angry Angry

So maybe it's both our faults , his for not testing the radio out and stating it's problems and me for jumping the gun on bad feed back.
All i know is i am out $975 plus repairs because of his lack of effort to check things out before he sold it.
Not a good practice if you sell equipment

Steve
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »

Have either of you guys heard of spell check?  The bad grammer and misspellings make it hard to take either of you seriously.  Huh

Gene
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:16:22 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

I doubt that very many individual sellers fully check out a radio to ensure that it meets mfgs specs on all bands and all modes before selling it. Radios being sold often haven't been used recently or have only been used on the owners favorite band/mode. If you want something that has been fully checked and warranted then you need to stick with the big companies for those purchases - any pay the big price.
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »

And the Grammar isn't very good either.

Have either of you guys heard of spell check?  The bad grammer and misspellings make it hard to take either of you seriously.  Huh

Gene
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »

That should be:

You gramor ain't to gud needer...

I had to, sorry...  It was too easy a target to not post that...  Not directed at anyone, just adding some humor...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:13:28 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KA9MOT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:28:45 AM »

I doubt that very many individual sellers fully check out a radio to ensure that it meets mfgs specs on all bands and all modes before selling it. Radios being sold often haven't been used recently or have only been used on the owners favorite band/mode. If you want something that has been fully checked and warranted then you need to stick with the big companies for those purchases - any pay the big price.

Don't you think that a seller who claims it works should know that it actually works? Testing an item before you sell it is usually an easy thing to do. Every ham should have a good power meter and a dummy load. "Untested" and "I've only used it on..." means "It doesn't work" and should be worth half as much as a tested, working item.

If a seller claims it works as it should, and it does not, then that seller should be held responsible for making the item "as described". If he won't then he is a liar and a cheat.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »

Just saying if you purchase something from an individual seller you better make sure that he understands that your understanding of "works" is that he put it on the test bench and verifyied that it meets all mfgs specs. Most people will tell you that it "works" if they haven't run across any problems while using it. A complete check out will require a lot more than a dummy load and a wattmeter. It could pass those tests and have a deaf receiver on one or more bands. Either that or make sure you can return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Most of the dissatisfaction comes about because two people haven't agreed upon the expectations.

That's why I generally purchase big ticket used items from a dealer.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »

Gene

I wondered how long it would take before someone would fall into my grammer trap.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Gene
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »

OH Yeah, Right!  Hi HI
N4URW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »

For anyone that is reading this, I did sell the radio in good faith and unknown to me that the radio had problems. I was very respondent to his emails and I tried to be humble to his needs, and even offered to help pay for repairs that he says is needed. He never showed me any proof that the radio had problems and seemed like every time I received a message from him, something new was wrong with the rig. Even after he received the radio, he complained that he couldn’t get 40 or 80 meters to work and then he later admits that he was operating it incorrectly and that he works fine now. Then I get another email complaining about the radio being modded for 11 meters. I don’t even talk on 11 meters and would never have done the mod anyway. That is the way I received the radio and I didn’t even take off the cover. I admit that I did not check out every option and every band on the radio but during the short time I had it, it worked flawlessly for me. I understand that he is upset and if I hadn’t already used the money for something else, I would have gladly given him a refund for the radio. But I had already used the funds so I offered to help him out with repairs that he says is needed and even after I told him this, he goes and throws me under the bus. He should of never have rushed to inputting a negative feedback so quickly and I would of helped this guy out because I am a nice guy and I’m not happy that he is not happy, but he should of given me some time to get back with him instead of doing what he did. I have been buying and selling ham equipment for years on QRZ, QTH and EBay (Joelmc59) and all of the transactions have all been positive. This guy is the only one that I have ran across that was unhappy with his purchase and I tried to make it right. I would have never sold him the radio if I had known of the problems with the radio that he is having. I am an up front guy and I would have posted any problems that I found with the radio in the ad. I even asked him what he thought the radio was worth and I was going to send him the difference, but he never responded to that question. When I place an ad, I do like everyone else does and state in the ad, “All Sales Final”, but I was willing to help him out anyway with the repairs until the negative feedback. In the future I will be very careful on what I sell and will make sure that the equipment is 100% operational before I list the item.

Joel / n4urw
W1SWR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:00:49 AM »

And the beat goes on and on and on.

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 04:42:44 AM »

For anyone that is reading this, I did sell the radio in good faith and unknown to me that the radio had problems. I was very respondent to his emails and I tried to be humble to his needs, and even offered to help pay for repairs that he says is needed. He never showed me any proof that the radio had problems and seemed like every time I received a message from him, something new was wrong with the rig. Even after he received the radio, he complained that he couldn’t get 40 or 80 meters to work and then he later admits that he was operating it incorrectly and that he works fine now. Then I get another email complaining about the radio being modded for 11 meters. I don’t even talk on 11 meters and would never have done the mod anyway. That is the way I received the radio and I didn’t even take off the cover. I admit that I did not check out every option and every band on the radio but during the short time I had it, it worked flawlessly for me. I understand that he is upset and if I hadn’t already used the money for something else, I would have gladly given him a refund for the radio. But I had already used the funds so I offered to help him out with repairs that he says is needed and even after I told him this, he goes and throws me under the bus. He should of never have rushed to inputting a negative feedback so quickly and I would of helped this guy out because I am a nice guy and I’m not happy that he is not happy, but he should of given me some time to get back with him instead of doing what he did. I have been buying and selling ham equipment for years on QRZ, QTH and EBay (Joelmc59) and all of the transactions have all been positive. This guy is the only one that I have ran across that was unhappy with his purchase and I tried to make it right. I would have never sold him the radio if I had known of the problems with the radio that he is having. I am an up front guy and I would have posted any problems that I found with the radio in the ad. I even asked him what he thought the radio was worth and I was going to send him the difference, but he never responded to that question. When I place an ad, I do like everyone else does and state in the ad, “All Sales Final”, but I was willing to help him out anyway with the repairs until the negative feedback. In the future I will be very careful on what I sell and will make sure that the equipment is 100% operational before I list the item.

Joel / n4urw

You guys never mentioned what radio you are referring to.  Manufacturer/Model?

Gene
N4URW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »

Yaesu FT-847
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: