Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOA caught me! Any users using a AOR LA390 loop?  (Read 21127 times)
MAKO36

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »

Doggone HOA caught my PAR SWL wire antenna on the roof...what probably gave it away was my 30 foot pvc pole holding one end up. Now my ICOM ICR75 has no ears as before I tried wires everywhere in the house with ever so lousey reception. I have a question for the experienced users out there as I am still a newbie. I have been looking at the AOR LA390 loop antenna even before I bought the wire but the price threw me off. I wish to know from any user out there if it does work for the outlandish price and if so do I really need to put the loop near a window for reception? I have close to no electronic noise in or near my house(which is real good) but when it comes to any kind reception inside using wire...forget it. I have close to picked my brain on this one, even thinking that I should pull some 16gauge wire out the window and just lay the wire on my roof. My appetite for listening is 2.0 mhz to 30 or so, and if I lay wire on my roof the length would be about 45 feet. My concern is will laying wire on my roof get me any reception. Help anyone?
MAKO36

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:56:56 AM »

WOW! got more readers than help. C'mon guys...I need help here. If not the AOR loop, at least give me some suggestions so I would be able to receive from 2-30 mhz. And by the way, I already tried the "broomstick antenna". The Cubans can keep it. How about if I get mabe 40 feet of wire and lay it on my roof? Would that work?   Huh Huh Huh Huh
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »

Get a wellbrook Active Loop and they dont need to be mounted high..

Regards Lino..
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:49 AM »

Can you staple/tape/glue/jimmy a wire loop around the roof under the eaves? Feed it with white cabletv coax.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »

As an addendum to the pervious post.............

Another solution is to run a thin PVC insulated wire around the circumference of your roof in the form of a loop.  For receive any zigs and zags to follow the shape of the roof do not matter.  Use a color that matches the color of your roof.  If you have a black roof use black PVC insulated wire.  If you have a gray roof use gray PVC insulated wire.  If you have a brown roof use brown PVC insulated wire.  Etc Etc.

If you do it right, it should not be visible.  If the HOA notices it tell them it is lightning protection and if they force you to remove it and if lightning strikes your house, you will hold them responsible.

On the other hand, if I were you, I would move.

Dick  AD4U

N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »

An alternative to the Wellbrook or AOR, well-reviewed here on eham, is the Pixel RF Pro-1B loop antenna. Reports are that it is very quiet.
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »

Hi have a look at my youtube video thread using the wellbrook active loop and judge for your self use to have the Aor-LA380 it was a waste of money..

Regards Lino..
MAKO36

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »

Thanks guys...Appreciate the ideas. As for the final idea would be line wire around the circum of the roof and attach some cable...starting center section of wire to center of cable, the return section of wire going to the shield. Hope that will cover 2-30mhz. What happens when you live in Commiefornia.
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »

Put a screwdriver antenna on your car.  Park it close to the end of a stealthy piece of coax that runs to the radio. Use a phono jack connector/plug to connect the coax to the antenna for easy connect/disconnect.

I don't live in an HOA home, just thinking what I might do if I did.
W4HLN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »

Try the wire first...you may not want the loop!  Laying a wire on the roof is a fine antenna.....hard to see if its the same color as the roof too!...Snow and rain wont affect it!

Ernie / W4HLN
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:30 AM »

I'll tell you--I've never used an active antenna or a small loop.  Over the past 40+ years, I've either used a random length antenna of insulated wire or one of my amateur inverted vees.  I agree with the folks who say to simply put up a long wire, as high as possible, thin and insulated, outside the house, in any configuration, as much in "free space" as possible.  That will work great and cost you $20 bucks or less. 

Please don't waste your money, IMHO, on a fancy-schmancy commercial antenna.  Try a simple wire antenna and your results will probably be completely satisfactory.  And if your results with a home brew antenna are not satisfactory, then put the wire into another configuration or run it in another direction and try again.  A commercial antenna isn't going to give you better results, whatever the folks on Madison Avenue are telling you. 

There's a lot of RF out there, just begging for you to put up a long-wire homebrew antenna.  Don't be selfish!  Do what it wants, and honor the proud ham tradition of rolling your own antenna.  Receiving a distant station is much more fun when your antenna is homebrew.

73, Tony
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 04:35:39 AM »

The rf noise from wire antennas doesnt help with the signal at least the loop will null out the interference..

Regards Lino..
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:37 AM »

==  What N3WAK said  ==

I know you said you were interested in 2-30 MHz. But last winter I had no trouble hearing European longwave AM broadcast stations down to 150 Kilo Hertz from Missouri on my 43' vertical...basically a random "wire"... a really short one at the frequency.

Remember, atmospheric noise is a signal. All the bad antennas I've played with over the decades were very quiet. I actually set up a dummy load on a tall ladder once to see how far I could transmit with it. (not very far as it turned out!). But it was SOOOO quiet on receive.

AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 07:17:18 AM »

I guess thats the difference any body can listen to shortwave stations worldwide due to some have high power but my main intrest is aero have had enough wire antennas built by amateurs operators they where okay but dont even come close to the loops a lot of people can talk at least i put my youtube videos to show people not like others by the way theres is 4 amateur operators with in 1 km radius from where i live they all have pixel and wellbrook loops even radio australia use the loops..

Regards Lino..
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 07:58:26 AM »

For what it's worth, I got decent SW reception just from a 50 ft. or so length of insulated wire tacked underneath my roof's overhang, just behind the gutter.  I ran it in through my window, and attached one end to the High-Z connector on my radio.  I was able to hear a lot of SW stations with it. 

So, I think your original idea would work.  50 ft. of wire can bring in a lot of signals.

But the other guy's ideas would be worth checking out also.  Good luck.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: