Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A coupple observations.. What do you think?  (Read 737 times)
N0NS

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:28:39 PM »

Hi everyone, I am getting back into the HF bands after 10 years of being inactive.  So far I have logged 22 contacts, all CW, and all but one on 40M.  It's a blast!

I have noticed a few things being 10 years later since the last time I was active.

1.  I can have your call sign, name, location, and WX pulled up for where you live on my laptop 10 seconds after you respond to my CQ.  This is very nice for confirming my copy.

2.  CW is so much like texting on cell phones now it is not even funny.  In fact, I laugh when I text my wife because the abbreviations are so close it is like we are sending CW over the phone.

3.  I currently send at about 10-12 WPM but am quickly picking up my speed as I make more contacts.  I definitely see the benefit of copying in your head instead of writing every letter down!  

4.  This is a big one... Since I copy relatively slowly and the 40M band in the evening tends to fluctuate quite a bit, I have gotten in the habit of getting the initial "volley" of information over as quickly as possible.  Not because I want to get the QSO over with, but rather to get as much information transferred as quickly as possible.  

My typical response from a CQ reply is this:

TNX CALL. RST 599 599 QTH ES CEDAR RAPIDS, IA CEDAR RAPIDS, IA NAME JOE JOE HW?

I have found it very interesting that when you go from 6 to 12 WPM you can cram a lot more information in on a QSO the other thing is that the extra characters like this QSO can add up which take time:

R R R TNX CALL OM.  UR RST RST ES 599 599. MY QTH QTH CEDAR RAPIDS, IA CEDAR RAPIDS IA. MY NAME ES JOE JOE. HOW COPY OM?

Perhaps that is one reason why I am really enjoying CW more now... I am having many more QSO's where you talk about things instead of give the standard info and call it a day.  

So, what do you think about my chopped version of sending the basic info?

Any other comments?

It is definitely nice to be back on the air and I am pleased to see that CW is still alive and well!

73  Joe
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:34:18 AM »

Hi N0NS,

I think that an abbreviated approach is on the money with what many people prefer.   A couple comments:

1.  It looks like you're using "es" as short for "is"?  "es" is usually short for "and".  It doesn't seem worth it to save one dit going from "is" to "es".  In most cases, you can drop the "is" altogether.  You can find abbreviations and Q-signals here: http://www.ac6v.com/morseaids.htm#CW

2.  [BT] (brackets denoting prosign which means that the B and T should run together as one "letter") is more common and faster than the period as a separator.  You can also drop these altogether.

3.  You can shorten further by removing commas, using OP instead of NAME, stringing together the RST/QTH, and using N in place of 9 and T in place of 0.  E.g.

GM UR 5NN 599 IN CEDAR RAPIDS IA CEDAR RAPIDS IA [BT] OP JOE JOE [BT] HW?

Here are a few good discussions:

1.  Search for the first post by N2EY in this postings following this article:

http://www.eham.net/articles/17838

2.  Here's a nice article from the 50s that has been updated by KB6NU:

http://kb6nu.com/your-novice-accent/

3.  A eham article by WB2WIK on operating:

http://www.eham.net/articles/15919

Marc
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:21:40 AM »

Unless conditions are bad, you don't need to repeat everything twice.  That too can get annoying.  On the other hand if there are problems (QSB, QRM, QRN), then repeating is indeed a good thing.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:24:22 AM »

CW is so much like texting on cell phones

No you're wrong.  CW was there first.  You mean to say that texting is very much like CW and much of the abbreviations used in texting come from CW.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:30:02 AM »

Unless you have a large phone (Blackberry at minimum, larger is better) and a lot of dexterity on those tiny keys, CW's a lot faster than texting.

I can "text" on my Blackberry at about 35 wpm, maybe.  I can send CW with my Bencher at 55 wpm, easily.

Texting on a regular cell phone sucks.

Welcome back, CU on CW!

Steve WB2WIK/6
N0NS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 07:04:10 PM »

Good post.  You are right, I was using ES wrong.  I realized that I have been mentally thinking of my Spanish classes back in high school where you say es for "it is."  Also, thanks for the even shorter example of the first volley!

Joe
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 02:27:18 AM »

prefer ops im working
to be listening to me
not playing with a computer

lots of ops do not use their
qrz listed first name as their handle

in qso an op calls me craig
( first name listed in qrz which i never use on the air )

means they were not listening to what i sent

but bringing up my call on qrz
and screwing around with a computer

either run cw or play with the computer

be here now

mac
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »

You have the idea down pat; e.g. thank the other operator for the call, give the signal report, your QTH and your name but do it as briefly as possible. No need to send "QTH is Cedar Rapids," but just "QTH Cedar Rapids" since QTH itself means "My location is..."

And as someone else pointed out, "es" is the abbreviation for "and" and not "is."

Glad to see that you get the point that the signal report should come before other info. Some ops put the signal report last but old-time operating manuals also explained the signal report should come first because the other operator is most curious about how well he's being heard. Of next important is the QTH because he wants to know where he's being heard and last is the name of the other operator. Stick with that and standard abbreviations and you can't go wrong on CW.

And by the way, make sure you zero beat the other station and not just tune to some nearby frequency ending with something even like ".00" and then use your RIT to tune to the other guy's frequency. Been hearing too much of that lately. I think it's a carry over from some other radio service that I won't name.

I know you're no beginner so while some of these comments might seem patronizing, just trying to help new ops who might read this.

73, N4KZ
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »

You can shortcut the QTH part by sending "UR 579 IN CEDAR RAPIDS IA".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N0NS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »

RIT?  I don't have RIT on my Heathkit HW-100.  :-)  I do hope to purchase a solid state radio in January and then I can start thinking about zero beating!
73  Joe N0NS
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 06:41:24 AM »

RIT and the ability to produce a sidetone at the same time as receiving is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You need to have both to make it work. RIT alone won't help unless you can beat those signals against each other. And the ability to beat those signals against each other won't help unless you can shift the RX frequency with RIT. Something you need to keep in mind when using RIT is, there may be QRM on your signal but you won't be able to hear it, even with QSK, unless your filter is wide enough and your RIT is close to your TX frequency. I worked a guy last night who was off by 1KHz. Never would have heard him without the wide filter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: