Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you like the full QSK on your rig? Which rig do you like for full QSK?  (Read 4952 times)
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:30:26 AM »

...and an FT-920 that all were poor to mediocre.  The 920 in particular was lousy.  ...

I am not questioning your experience with the FT-920 QSK, but it is 180 degrees from mine!  With the exception of relay clicking, which is mitigated by headphones, my FT-920's QSK at 30 wpm or so is as good or even better than my Ten-Tec and Elecraft rigs.  Perhaps you have an earlier model (mine is 2002) or have a defect ? Just sayin'...

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN - N4OI   Grin
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »

An old radio but the Ten Tec Triton IV (analog or digital) had legendary full break-in.  It works at over 100 wpm with no distortion of pulses.

The bad thing about the Ten Tec Triton IV is the "filter" is just an audio filter - 40 meters during a contest is unusable.  However the Ten Tec noise blanker is excellent.

I'm a big fan of the Ten Tec Triton too, as far as transceivers go, it has excellent QSK. All the Ten Tec rigs do! (I also have an Eagle, also excellent QSK.) I could not imagine any intense CW activity without QSK.

But for the real QSK guy, a transceiver is never going to be good enough. With the IF and antenna flopping back and forth between T and R it just gets in the way. The best way to do it: Separate transmitter and receiver, with separate transmit and receive antennas and the RF stage of the receiver set to instantaneously near-mute while key-down. It honestly feels like I can hear the band while my key is down (the receiver never shuts off, just goes to near-mute), and I know that's the best it gets.
KU7I

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »

So are you using a seperate TX and RX then? Curious.

Lane
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »

So are you using a seperate TX and RX then? Curious.

No, most of the time I'm using a Ten Tec transceiver of some kind.

But I also have some separate much older separate T/R setups and the QSK is truly seamless there. Look in a 60's ARRL Handbook for typical full-QSK setups. I hear my own note on the band when my key is down, and I hear the band when the key is up, no clicks, no clunks, no AGC pumps, a completely smooth transition. Getting the receiver muting set up correctly is actually hard in AGC-controlled receivers; the best way to set it up is to take it out of AGC, and have a separate QSK muting input added that controls the bias on the front end and mixer tubes.

The Ten Tec transceivers have excellent QSK... for a transceiver. But it's not seamless. If you look at the architecture of a transceiver you see why, the IF chain flops between R and T and back to R on every dit. Good QSK transceivers do this quickly without AGC pumping and with most of the switching done during mute and with a sidetone. But still not as good as separate T/R QSK, where you hear your own actual note on the band while key down.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:11:47 AM by N3QE » Logged
KU7I

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 05:34:43 AM »

Pretty cool stuff.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: