Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SAT?  (Read 18860 times)
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »

Good point, Patrick.

I've had to adjust my freqs numerous times on VO-52, but never considered the bird was a bit 'off'.

When the transponder change from the failed Indian-built transponder to the PE1RAH-built unit was made a few months ago, I (and many others) found that we had to raise our uplink frequency 5 to 6 kHz to keep at the same downlink frequency we would use previously.  That figure tends to move around a little, so what worked for me last weekend may not be the same for a future pass.  Unfortunately, the AMSAT-India group or the Indian space agency have not released details on why the original (Indian-built) transponder stopped working. 

The PE1RAH transponder also can't handle high-powered uplink signals as well as the previous Indian-built transponder.  If someone is pumping too much power up to the satellite, it will not retransmit anything else from the uplink.  But at least there was a backup to the Indian-built transponder onboard, so that the satellite isn't just silently orbiting with a failed transponder. 

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »

I've definitely noticed the power issue. I generally run 5~10 watts on my uplink, and I've found it's more than enough to get into most any satellite.

Having 11 elements on UHF helps, too!

Jim
N5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »

My radio went back to Yaesu for some warranty calibration on the VFO. It's like 0.20 off of zero.

When I get it back, I might sell. It has: Inrad 2100hz 455khz 8-pole Crystal SSB and 400hz 455khz CW filters, custom amplifier cables, Inrad Vox Box, etc. The radio is a hot rod, so it will sell for more than the normal 847 (if I sell it). Just a thought. I haven't decided yet, or given up on the satellite thing yet.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »

PLEASE don't give up yet!

You're soooo close to being able to work the sats. I know it's frustrating in the beginning. It took me ten years to finally get a fully automated station up and running, and it was worth every bit of the struggle that it was at times.

The FT-847 is a great rig for using on satellites. Yaesu didn't call it "The Earth Station" for nothing. All you need is a little more work, and you WILL get the hang of it.

Hang in there....you're almost there!
K7WDO

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2012, 11:26:31 PM »

Hope you keep trying on the satellites as well.  Practice and persistence does pay off.
N5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »

I guarantee you'all that I will not give up on getting into a sat and will not sell it until I do. I actually just got a 10 element 70cm Diamond yagi in the mail. I'm waiting on brackets for it and then it will go on the array.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: