Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Dodge CTD 2500 4X4 Radio/Antenna Installation Question  (Read 3848 times)
K6SVW

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »

I am thinking about putting a 2m rig (Yaesu) in my truck. I already have a Yaesu FT-8800R in my Jeep Wrangler. The truck has a manual transfercase shifter on the floor. The truck also has cup holders on the floor in front of the center console (middle seat). I was wondering where the best place to mount the radio? Please keep in mind that m wife drives the truck and cannot be too outlandish.

I also have a question on what antenna to use. My wife uses a parking garage, at times, paid for by her work. So I need a setup that can either be easily removed or fold over. The parking garage is low. The truck is at stock ride height with factory wheels and tire size. With that being said, I left a K40 Antenna magnet mount on the roof and the parking garage hit the mount and slid it to the back of the cab until the mount fell off. I had thought about a 1/4 wave 19" antenna roof mounted but with the parking paid for, that might be a tough road to go down.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »

There is nothing wrong with a hood seam mount for the antenna. For the radio, use a gooseneck mount which attaches via a seat bolt.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:38:20 AM »

I used hood seam brackets on either side of my Dodge CTD, and they worked very well for the life of ownership of the truck.  Space, or lack thereof  beneath the bracket will require you to use NMO mounts (which is actually a good thing).  If you live or travel anywhere that salt is used on the highways, I urge you to pot the underside of the bracket in RTV.  Failure to do so will result in complete corrosion of the center conductor where it's soldered to the pin of the NMO mount, and will also allow the salt to wick down the jacket of the coax.  The fender mounts look great on the truck.

For mounting the radio, I used the seat bolt to secure the transceiver portion of my FT-8900.  For the control head, again RTV is your friend.  I RTV'd a RAM mount to the underside of the dash lip.  I had to temporarily hold it in place by placing a stick on the floor, and wedging the other end against the mount until the RTV cured.  WIth the short stalk of the mount, I could position the so I could twiddle the knobs, while keeping my right wrist on the wheel if both hands were needed in an instant.  Again, it also lasted the length of ownership of the vehicle.  Removal is easy with a sharp putty knife.  It has tremendous pull strength, but shears easily. I pulled two coax lines, B+ and GND through a small hole poked in the cover of the hole used for a manual transmission.  If you have a stick, you can squeeze the wires through a waire harness grommet, but it's a little harder.  Liquid soap or wire lube will ease the process.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:54:07 AM by K3GM » Logged
K6SVW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »

Thanks for the information provided so far.
KI6LXL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here in quite awhile...

This is what I did in my truck which is just like yours. I mounted my radio under the driver's seat and remote mounted the head on a custom mount I made that comes off of my CB mount (Yes, I said CB) You could easily make a mount that came out of the same area. It's convenient enough for me to use. Since this photo I put a mic holder on the other side of the CB for the ham mic and mounted an external speaker on the console under the radios. I used a piece of metal behind the console piece to distribute the weight and it's good and strong. I off road frequently and it's been fine.

http://www.virtualdodge.com/vdforum/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=3341
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: