Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inexpensive mobile HF rigs?  (Read 8530 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »

John, my choice of the TS 50 is in response to the header " INEXPENSIVE MOBILE HF RIGS"
Add a "few hundred more" as you put it, (going cost for a 480 sat used is around $700.00) is no longer "INEXPENSIVE"

I understand but for a few hundred more you can get a much better and newer radio that is still rasy to get parts for to if need be. a 20+ year old TS50 could become a door stop if it fails from age or you  farm it out for repairs it it cost more total than a newer rig would have cost to begin with.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 04:34:06 AM »

Icom IC-7000 = $1300
Kenwood TS-480SAT = $975
Yaesu FT-857D = $830

New, from Universal Radio.

As for the used Icom IC-706MKIIG, I WOULD NOT consider it. The finals are no longer available.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 05:48:37 AM »

Justin said in his original message that he was looking for a used rig, not a new one.  By now he may have been to the hamfest and soon we'll find out if he found something!  Smiley   Justin, if you didn't find anything you liked at the hamfest this weekend, keep an eye on your local classified ads, craigslist, local ham clubs "for sale" websites.  I don't know about your area, but I see bargains show up every month or 6 weeks around here.  You ought to be able to find something relatively recent for $350-$500, if your area is like mine.  The 857, the Alincos, etc.  And personally, I wouldn't be scared of a 706; mine is 9 years old and has outlived 2 cars so far.  Wink   73 GL!    ken ac4rd
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 07:35:48 AM »

John, my choice of the TS 50 is in response to the header " INEXPENSIVE MOBILE HF RIGS"
Add a "few hundred more" as you put it, (going cost for a 480 sat used is around $700.00) is no longer "INEXPENSIVE"

I understand but for a few hundred more you can get a much better and newer radio that is still rasy to get parts for to if need be. a 20+ year old TS50 could become a door stop if it fails from age or you  farm it out for repairs it it cost more total than a newer rig would have cost to begin with.
John, which part of Justin's post you can't comprehend?
Justin states very clearly, that he is working with a "restricted budget".
He also states very clearly, the parameters of his interest ..... >>>>  I'm thinking more like an IC-706, FT-100D, TS-50, DX-70 - older radios like those. <<<<
Do you think if he had " a few hundred more " he would be soliciting our opinions?
My point here is all too often we, myself included, go off on tangents, and get the waters muddy.

(((73))) Milverton.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »

John, which part of Justin's post you can't comprehend?
Justin states very clearly, that he is working with a "restricted budget".
He also states very clearly, the parameters of his interest ..... >>>>  I'm thinking more like an IC-706, FT-100D, TS-50, DX-70 - older radios like those. <<<<
Do you think if he had " a few hundred more " he would be soliciting our opinions?
My point here is all too often we, myself included, go off on tangents, and get the waters muddy.

(((73))) Milverton.

I understand everything but once again given the age of a TS50, lack of replacement parts because of its age and a greater likely hood of failure because of age it could be money down toilet. For same money or less he would do better  with a bigger mobile rig. You need to remember that I am a Kenwood guy by default but the TS50 and TS 2000 are rigs and I never embraced. The 480 is what the the 50 should have been.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »

Likely too late for my comment to have any bearing. I use a TS-480. Prior to using the 480 I used a TS-450. I found it to be a good radio. The same one I had since the 90's when they were new.

Last night on a one hour drive home I worked about 15 JA's on 15M SSB. Nearly all one call. Many surprised to be working a mobile in AA contest.

73 Tony N5UD /M
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

As for the used Icom IC-706MKIIG, I WOULD NOT consider it. The finals are no longer available.

The original SRFJ7044 final used in the IC-706MKIIG crosses to a Mitsubishi RD70HVF1 and is very much still available.  Quick Google search showed a number of sources, including RF Parts.  If you find a IC-706MKIIG in good shape that's in your price range, there's no reason to be afraid of it.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »

I am in the process of replacing an FT-100d (still works fine, no PA problems, all of the fan and grounding mods done) with a FT-857d (when the store gets off their collective $$$'es and ship it). The FT-100d was a very good radio in it's day and for a while I swapped it out for an FT-8900r but I "miss" SSB. I will keep both in the car and install a switching relay for the antenna lead that also dumps the DC supply on the inactive radio (maybe even a crossover relay so I can steer the inactive radio into a dummy load to keep the front end nice and isolated on the powered down radio). [the FT-8900r and the FT-857d].

With the older rigs like the FT-100d there were some "cursed soldiers" (cursed solder <lol>) that had problems with the early PA's, cooling and grounding on the RF deck. Now people only seem to fry the survivors by doing something crazy (like not using an automatic antenna tuner) or just plain-ol bad luck.

It is rare to find a FT-100d with the remote head kit, on the FT-100d forum they are going for a few hundred $ if you insist on remote mounting the head (I would make my own bracket). Since it is an older radio there is a soldered in lithium coin battery that is a "pain" to get at (there are a few vertically mounted logic boards at the front of the radio and the coin battery is mounted on the CPU board).

The "market" on the FT-100d is odd, there still is a very active users community on the little radio. The radio can demand a few hundred $ for the much valued PA's. People who are '100d fans are a little obsessive(possessive). I do not know what I will end up doing with mine, it seems I get radios and keep them forever (like the dozen or so Motorola Spectra's).

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
WA4UF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

Yeah, we do tend to be obsessive/possessive/clingy.  I'm still hanging on to my -100; the 857's just not all that operable a radio while you're tooling down the highway, especially if you have big fingers.  And in a side-by-side I did some years back, the 706IIg didn't have near the VHF sensitivity (I'm a 6m nut), or NB and DSP capability of the -100.  My only worry is that nearly-irreplacable VHF final.  I'm starting to get thermal issues on transmit on 2m FM.

To the OP:  You're running a Crown Viccy?  I'd think the TS-130 and followons wouldn't be too terribly large given the cavernous interior of that car.  Smiley   I'd seriously consider a TS-430S or -440SAT.   I see the later model small Kenwoods like that going for under $400 at Orlando every year; I'm often tempted to pick up a spare, shrinkwrap it, and stuff it in a closet just to have on hand.
KJ1H

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »

Not quite enough room between the front bucket seats for the TS-130, which I sold earlier this year anyway.

I ended up picking up an Alinco DX-70, plus the EDX-2 tuner to go with it. Unfortunately, I'm having issues, which I may post about in another thread. But that was the end result. I'm liking the way the rig operates - all the features I want, yet still easy to use without a lot of bells and whistles.

73 - Justin
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: