Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Ten Tec QSK...Why is it so good?  (Read 1351 times)
KU7I

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »

Growing up with ham radio in the late 70s and early 80s (high school class of '85) I had many Ten Tec rigs such as the Argonaut 515, 546 Omni C, 525 Arogsy, and Triton IV 544 digital. The QSK on all of these was silky smooth. I never did any actual lab testing but I just remember how good the receiver recovery was in between cw characters. Can anyone explain why Ten Tec QSK was/is the standard for all others? Thanks.

PS a friend of mine at the time had the then "brand new" TS-930S which seemed to be about as good. Anyone tried the 930S on full QSK?

Lane
KU7i
JH1JCM
N1EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »

I can tell you "why" but not "how".

The answer to "why" Ten-Tec transceivers had excellent QSK is because Ten-Tec was bought by Al Kahn, K4FW who started Electro-Voice, sold it and "retired" to buy the Ten-Tec machine shop that made enclosures (and still does).  He first came out with a little audio filter for CW, then he came out with the Power Mite transceivers that put out 2 watts, then he came out with the Ten-Tec Triton I which was 50 watts output, later the Triton 4 which had 100 watts output.

His design aims were:  Excellent QSK, excellent waveshape on CW, excellent audio from transceiver on receive and transmit.

I guess it was just by chance that the Ten Tec transceivers used Electro-Voice microphones!

I own and use both Ten Tec and the Kenwood TS-930SAT transceivers.  I say the Ten Tec Triton's (I have both the I and IV models) are excellent with audio and QSK.

I say the TS930 is "OK" and acceptable and after a while you don't miss the excellent Ten Tec QSK.  But if the choice was between a TS-930 and a Ten-Tec Triton, I would pick the 930 because it has much better selectivity and runs the WARC bands and the SAT model has a built in tuner that is amazingly wide range.

David N1EA

-30-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: