Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NAQP CW - What a hoot!  (Read 519 times)
AE6RF

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:20:19 AM »

Don't know if any of you participated, but I had a BALL in the North American QSP Party on Saturday.

Tripled my number of contacts from last year. Heck, even 15m was working well.

As usual, my CW speed steadily climbed during the contest.

73 de Donald
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:07:11 AM »

Yes it was a great contest. I operated at K4XY with the VWS Club here in Fairfax County, VA. We had a multi 2 here with the highest score we have ever had. Raw score is in the 70K region and should work out pretty good I hope. Many thanks to K4TCM for arranging the set up. Observations:

1) Good location this year at a local swimming club so perhaps we can use it again.

2) My CW has atrophied to an embarassingly miserable level. I need to get practice on the laptop until I can get a station set up at home. (Rental problems here.)

3) Propagation was wonderful! Even 160 came through with about 50 Q's. I was surprised at our handful of contacts on 15. I shoulda tried that before 20 and 40. I underestimated the band yet again.

Look forward to SSB next weekend.

Dan S
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »

Yes, it was great fun.  I tried to use 15m, as there were a lot of signals there, but even without my amp, I was getting into our living room TV, and I gotta keep the xyl happy, if you know what I mean!  There were a lot of very good ops on the air.
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »

I enjoyed this contest as well with decent propagation from 15 thru 160 meters.  I used the N3FJP software so only had one dupe because I copied the call incorrectly the first time.  I made 220 q's which was more than I expected when I started.

tnx to all who took the time to work me.   Ray
W5PJW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:39:27 AM »

I only was able to be on about three hours, and that was scattered over the 12 hour period, but I had a blast! Like mentioned, even 15 was open a bit. For me and my droopy dipole we had our best outing. If I had more operating time I might have worked my way up to last place- but I had a lot of fun which was the reason I participated anyway. For me it was a win. 73, Mark
VE7BGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:54:49 PM »

I also had a lot of fun doing the NAQP contest last Saturday. I wanted to try out my modded interface to send CW using the DTR for cw using the N1MM software to computer send CW. I recently inherited an oldie FT-757GX radio what a great little radio for CW contesting as long as you don't use the RF preamp it only adds noise and IMD to the receiving qualities. I really like the smooth QSK, AGC and the Shift & Width combo does a great job of picking out the station you want to work. I have had a lot of fun contesting with that "Underdog" radio since I got it from a friend that became a SK. I also used it for the 160 Meter ARRL Contest a good workout for any radio. If you want a great little radio If you are lucky like me and get a chance to find a FT-757GX in good shape grab one. That radio is a lot of fun and a Joy to use on CW.
I am hoping to work the RTTY and SSB portions of the NAQP as part of the Nanaimo Amateur Radio Association.
Gerry VE7BGP  
K0DXC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 03:14:13 PM »

Yes, I to operated the NAQP CW for my first time (being only 13) and I had a great time.

I almost broke 300 q's but I guess there's always next time...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: