Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a "birdie"  (Read 7854 times)
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:38 AM »

What is a "birdie"

1.  A two legged critter with wings and feathers instead of hair covering their bodies and having a beak instead of a mouth.  Often able to fly under their own power.  Frequently travel in "flocks" during which time those on the ground are advised to carry umbrellas.  OR

2.  A hand signal usually indicating intense disapproval of a person and/or their activities.  Frequently seen on the road, particularly during highly congested traffic conditions.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:23:28 AM »

I remember new solid state gear.....maybe mid 1980s or so, was FULL of birdies. That's one reason I get uneasy about new hams going for gear of that era to get started in the hobby.  Some will tout the greatness of particular models of that time frame, but for a few $hundred more, a new ham can get a great modern rig......they're much, much better radios today.

N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »

What is a "birdie"

2.  A hand signal usually indicating intense disapproval of a person and/or their activities.  Frequently seen on the road, particularly during highly congested traffic conditions.

Oh that's what that means.  I thought it was have a nice day.   Grin Grin
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 10:12:17 PM »

Oh that's what that means.  I thought it was have a nice day.

I suppose it could mean that depending on the gender of the person "sending" it!

I like your callsign, Mr. "I don't know"  (No soy)  Do you get many comments on it?
Tom
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 04:29:13 AM »

Hi David,
My key observation from what you posted was that the birdies appeared when you hooked up the antenna. It sounds like QRM getting into the radio. I have the same problem with both old and new rigs. But I know where mine comes from. 90% come from my computers and my network that links them. 10% come from outside sources.

Anything that uses electricity can in some way make noise in the radio spectrum. The problem is tracing down what device is making the noise, and then fixing it. Like another said, could be your stuff, could be a neighbor's stuff, power company stuff, cable TV stuff, a close by factory stuff, etc. The list is almost endless.

The first thing I would do since you are making a new installation, is use the "best" coax you can afford with as few as possible connectors between the antenna and the radio.

Stan
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 06:43:07 PM »

It appears to be the wifi router. At least that is the main ones.  I turned off the router and they stopped. 

Thanks
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »

I suppose it could mean that depending on the gender of the person "sending" it!

I like your callsign, Mr. "I don't know"  (No soy)  Do you get many comments on it?
Tom

Good point

Yes, I get an occasional comment it is easy to remember. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 04:52:02 AM »

Whoops!  Sorry.  Duplicated someone elses reply.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:54:30 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

Tom

Good point

Yes, I get an occasional comment it is easy to remember. 

"Yo no soy" means "I am not".  "I don't know" is "Yo no sé".  Been living in Miami too long...
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »

"Yo no soy" means "I am not".  "I don't know" is "Yo no sé".  Been living in Miami too long...

And I guess I've been away from California too long!  Or...that's what you get when you learn the language in a Mexican restaurant!  Maybe a little of both?
Tom
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: