Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antennas, radios and getting my general  (Read 4518 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »

Get your general, and shoot for extra, the extra little bits of the bands are where most DX hangs out for the first part of their dxpedition, because  running extras only cuts down on the pile ups  when first starting up on a new place.  You will find just as many nice hams and  rude hams  in the general and extra portion of the bands and  that is a part of life, so ignore them. I am lousy at CW, even though I have been a ham for more than 25 years, but with the help of Ham Radio Deluxe, I can and often do contest in the CW contests.  I use a code reader to help me do it. Points is points...Smiley

The nice thing about ham radio is there are so many ways to play.  You can do EMCOM, Moonbounce (EME) , local repeaters, clubs, DXing, Digital modes, SSB only, Cw and so on.  pick out your pleasure and go for it. Build a nice fan dipole,   grab a radio and do it.  have fun, that's is the main idea to remember.  this obsession is after all, just a hobby.... Smiley
WD1R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 09:53:12 AM »

Come back when you've got that shiny new general ticket and tell us what you have done,  not what you're going to do. (Because most don't!)

Cheers from LA

Cheers

On to my Extra, because if YOU have one, it can't be that hard :-)

KC5VQH /AG
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »

Allen, congrats on the upgrade to general.  Just got done reading this thread.  Just a point of info, there is a button here called 'ignore'.  You can use it at any time.
Again congrats and hope to hear you on the bands.

73 de wn2c Rick

p.s.
I was thinking about the day when I (or anybody else on here) run into on the air, one of those rude posters that reply on here, if I would start up a conversation and then remind them with there own words what they said. You know where that QSO would go... south!
NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »

Allen,

I'll second the congrats and urge you to chase down the Extra.  If the only thing you get out of it is a little more understanding of radio and some personal growth, then it still will be worth the time. 

One of my personal issues with HAM radio is the idea that you need to go buy the fanciest DC to Daylight rig and you need a computer capable of besting a 14 year old underachiever at online gaming.  The truth is there are many non-digital radios available for a song.  A homemade cable or two and a basic (old) computer combined with free software gets you up on the digital modes.  A single band wire antenna made from cheap materials will work well enough to see if you enjoy a particular element of HAM. 

Following that maybe a person might decide they want to work a few digital modes and try RTTY contesting.  Perhaps the idea of watts per mile is the idea.  What if someone wants the ability to boom SSB through pile-ups and work all whatever?  Hey it is possible an individual finds making contacts boring, so they move to the building side of the hobby.

The equipment will be different in the shacks/workshops of the above enthusiasts.  If you enjoy building test equipment can be paramount.  Other stations will focus more on making and logging contacts in short order.  What you are interested in and where you want to do it from can dictate what equipment is feasible. 

As a frugal ticket holder, my focus has always been to maximize my enjoyment of the hobby per dollar spent. 

I hope you enjoy whatever avenue you choose to take.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:47:22 PM by NI3S » Logged
WD1R

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 07:31:41 PM »

Mike,

Well you said come back and tell you what I have done.... Just passed my Extra tonight, BOOYAA! I was right when I figured since you had one it couldn't be too hard :-)

Cheers!

Allan
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »

Allen congratulations on the Extra.  Now what? Antennas, Digital, CW? Good thing this hobby has so many avenues to choose from. Now go work some DX !!

73 and see you on the air !!
de Rick wn2c
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 04:13:29 AM »

Well you said come back and tell you what I have done.... Just passed my Extra tonight, BOOYAA!

Allan, CONGRATULATIONS!  Smiley   You must feel great about getting your Extra so quickly!  Are you going to keep your current callsign, or get a new one?

Congratulations and 73! 
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »

Allan, i wrote an article here on eham,http://www.eham.net/articles/29061
might be helpful in your situation.
Regards,
Bob
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: