Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW OR RTTY  (Read 725 times)
WB9QEL

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »

What's the story on using your computer for CW?  I don't know anything about it. Could someone shed some light on this aspect of Ham Radio for me?

I hear folks on CW sending so fast that it resembles Radio Teletype.  Are these folks using computers to send and receive?

Is this the new CW.  

Do you even need to know CW to have a CW contact via a computer interface?  

I would like to know more about this and some of your thoughts on this type of operation.  

Best 73

Nick
W9ZXT  

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 05:05:00 AM »

W9ZXT wrote, "What's the story on using your computer for CW? I don't know anything about it. Could someone shed some light on this aspect of Ham Radio for me?"

What exactly do you want to know? There are a few pices of software out there, namely the CWType and CWGet programs, that do a somewhat decent job of sending and receiving CW. Sending CW with a computer isn't that hard, but no one has yet to develop a program to copy CW better than the computer between your ears.

>I hear folks on CW sending so fast that it resembles Radio Teletype. Are these folks using computers to send and receive?

Possibly. One of the easiest ways to tell if someone is using a computer to send CW is when you see typographical errors. Another way is when you see whole words being spelled out instead of common abbreviations.

>Is this the new CW.

No.

>Do you even need to know CW to have a CW contact via a computer interface?

No, but it sure helps when conditions are poor or the other person has a sloppy fist.

>I would like to know more about this and some of your thoughts on this type of operation.

Even though sending and receiving CW with a computer is not exactly in keeping with the amateur "spirit", at least these people are using the mode so it is kind of hard to get too bent out of shape over it when there are so many other modes they could be using. In my case, it is not the mechanics of squeezing two paddle together in order to talk to someone that brings me pleasure, it is the actual conversation itself. There is just something about the quality of a CW QSO that is hard to find on any other mode.

With the digital modes, all people seem to want to do is send you one macro after another telling you how fantastic their computer system is in great detail but almost never want to actually engage in a conversation and I just can't wrap my arms around that whole concept. I got into amateur radio to talk to other people, not their computers.

Personally, I do use a computer to send CW sometimes, especially in the winter, because of a pesky little thing that comes with age called arthritis. Copying, however, is still done with the old noodle upstairs!

These are my $0.02 on the subject!

Scott N0IU
WB9QEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:31:48 AM »

Thanks Scott for the info.  I wondered how these programs worked, if the Operator types in his message and then recieves back the other Operators message on the computer screen.  Or like you said, you can send with computer and copy yourself.  

I know their are alot of folks out there that are fast, but sometimes what I hear is so fast, I figured either I am horribly slow or they are using some type of machine.  

Either way, like you, I am glad the mode is getting used also.

I normally use a SK or a Paddle, but would like more information on interfacing a computer and your rig for CW operation.  

Also, is this something you can do with the older rigs or just newer ones?

Thanks to all.

Best 73 ES God Bless!
Nick
W9ZXT                
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:02:05 AM »

A large percentage of "contest CW" is computer-sent and head-copied.  There are also some guys who ragchew sending very fast (>60 wpm) with a computer and copy in their heads...

http://tom.w4bqf.googlepages.com/copyingcwover70wpm

There are many commercial keying interfaces out there...MicroHAM is a popular one...but, there are many!  And, there are a number of homebrew options as well.  These can be made to work with just about any radio, even the old ones, although you may have to pay extra or build a little off-board circuit to handle the high voltage.  They just switch the keying line like a regular key or keyer.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »

Nick,

Here is the link to the site where you can download the CWGet and CWType programs: http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/

CWType is free, but the CWGet is shareware. It is fully functional, but you get a nice little reminder message to register the program when you exit.

There may be some issues with older tube gear, but I don't see why it can't be used with any rig. The interface I use (which is found in the CWType help file) is very simple and uses the parallel port on my computer. It can also be used with a serial port as well. I don't know about USB interfaces.

Since most printers and multi-function devices use the USB port nowadays, using the old printer port makes good use of a port that was sitting there collecting dust.

Scott N0IU

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »

Two more random notes:

1.  The "WinKey" , by K1EL, is inexpensive and gets good reviews.   It takes characters from the computer's serial (or USB) port, and sends them as CW through the rig.

http://k1el.tripod.com/index.html

2.  Ham Radio Deluxe (a rig-control program) includes DM780, a multi-digital-modes program.

One of the digital modes is CW.  You have your choice of sending via hardware keying, or generating an audio tone which will "key" your transceiver in SSB mode.  That mode (MCW) is usable with any PSK31-type rig-to-computer interface.

CW _reception_ (as with all software) only works well on strong, "perfect fist" signals.

Charles

N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »

Send and copy your own CW.  That is the only way to fly.  
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:45:41 AM »

I like Hamscope, because it works on Windows 98. I'll have to try the new HRD interface next time I'm up at the club. Anyone else try Hamscope? It does CW, RTTY and PSK31 all in one interface.
N2ZXE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:08:18 AM »

Hi.

I use a computer to send CW and use CW translation to *assist me*. I'm still not good enough to copy on head, but I'm getting there Smiley. I use notepad. I built a serial to CW interface using a physical relay. Opto couplers do not drive enough current when you do not have an internal keyer, you need to "pound on it".

The software I used are a modified copy of twcw for sending and fldigi for decoding, running on Ubuntu Linux.

I should move out when I get an Iambic or a better straight, but it'll be a while, and for the time being, it works, and I'm having fun.

N2ZXE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 05:09:03 AM »

I use Hamscope on Windows and FLdigi in Linux. I'm having problem sending in Windows NT, but receive is ok.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: