Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tower  (Read 1742 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »

Hi There. I have I am considering putting up a tower I have never own one before but I really would not like to climb it. I have been taking a look at the GM antenna packages that come with the HAZER. the review here at Eham are not the best but they are little old any input or recommendation. oh by the way I am going to be in  a 2 acres lot. thanks.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

How tall a tower are you looking to install?

Without climbing it, you'll either need "help" or a bucket truck, or something; some towers can tilt all the way over and tilt back up with rotator, mast and antennas already installed but some can't.

What kind of (antenna) load do you plan for it?
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

well I am thinking between 40 to 50 feet. antenna probably would be a hi gain tri bander or something similar. someone mention I could do rhon and add the hazer but i dont think the rhoen you can till over?
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:28:49 AM »

I am in the same boat as you. There are not many Hams around my area. The ones here are up in age, as me, and it would be hard to find a climber. Do you have someone you cant rust to install your tower? Do you need any permits to build? There's a little planning to get a tower built and safely erected.
Looking over towers that tilt over or collapse or have Hazers are going to be added expense compared to a good ole 60 footer.
The other way around it would be to hire a bucket truck when you have maintenance needs. It will get expensive if you are someone who is never happy with a particular brand or design antenna.
I regret everyday when I turn into our driveway and see my 65 foot utility pole and the Cushcraft Yagi that has on and off problems. One end of my multiband dipole is up there too. But no problems with that.
Cost to hire a crane truck is $400/4hrs. Ground has to be very dry or I'll have a nasty problem.

Fred
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:36:16 AM »

I've had a 60' GM with Hazer (which they no longer offer, 50' max now) up for about 9 years now.  I'f you'd like to send me an email off the forum, I'd be glad to share my experiences.  email address is
my call at arrl dot net.

Don, K2DC
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:10:04 AM »

The US Tower TMM Series can go to 41 feet and it won't break the bank. The TMM-541SS cranks down low enough to permit you to work on the antenna with a 10 or 12 foot stepladder. It has a tilt over option and it is self supporting, no guy lines required.

http://www.ustower.com/#
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6698

Do lots of research and ask lots of questions. Tower projects are complicated and expensive. There is also a book available that may provide some assistance.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8452

Mike K2MK
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »

All ideas are good I like the UStower but seem like they are problematic when it comes to delivery and specially off loading them am i wrong? yeah when it come to have to hire an crane everytime you have to do a work on the antenna I dont know if I would like to deal with that.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »

This is slick!!! Nice tower BTW.
Fair price for 41 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMd4xZ-PLk

K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »

There is also the US Tower MA series of tubular towers. Add the self supporting rotor base and the raising (tilt-over) fixture and life is pretty good.

Shipping can be expensive with any tower that has to be delivered and you usually are responsible for getting it off the truck from what I understand.

If you can find a crank up  locally, they can be moved inexpensively with a rented boat trailer of 20ft or so.

We did once bring a 40ft or so crank up back from eastern WA. lashed down to the roof of an old van...THAT was an experience!! Shocked
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »

If you don't wish to climb, a U S Tower HDX 555 with a tilt plate would work.  But that luxury is not cheap.

This guy has the set up you are seeking,   http://www.nn4zz.com/customer_pictures_and_comments.html#Bill_KM1C

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: