Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 2556 times)
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »

Anyone using Twitter in their Ham Radio pursuits? I just checked it out and #hamr and #hamradio are pretty active and sometimes have good info. I've noticed people using #dx for spots as well. Kind of cool.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

Anyone using Twitter in their Ham Radio pursuits? I just checked it out and #hamr and #hamradio are pretty active and sometimes have good info. I've noticed people using #dx for spots as well. Kind of cool.

Sorry but I'm not a twit and I don't tweet. Nor do I facebook or any other of those social online things.

I do however, work a lot of DX and contests on an actual ham radio like hams are known for.  Grin

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
YO9IRF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »

Gene, is it wrong to make ham radio known in other enviroments ? Your tone sugested some kind of aversion towards it.

Razvan YO9IRF
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »

Gene, is it wrong to make ham radio known in other enviroments ? Your tone sugested some kind of aversion towards it.

Razvan YO9IRF

Just a personal preference.

I realize that there are many new ops that embrace the latest fads of connectivity be it twitter, facebook or whatever and I think HR should be advertised and enjoyed any way to enhance it's presence and use. I was merely stating I personally do not use any of the social networking conduits for ANYTHING. I don't like them and don't trust them. The closest thing to those I get is the forums on eHAM, QRZ, etc.

But I do use ham radio in the classically sense by communicatinig via RF with a radio and have lots of fun doing that. I also have non-hams and hams, both newly licensed and old timers, visit my ham shack and I provide a means for them to operate or observe, as the case may be. I also participate in teaching ham radio classes with our local club and mentor (Elmer) anyone who ask for the assistance.

To each his own, but I'll stick with old school RF-based ham radio.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WA2HKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »

I was a twitter and facebook guy until I saw myself addicted to it.  I closed down both the accounts, years later I do not regret it.

However I do keep in mind that Twitter and Facebook are here and it has become the main way to communicate with people.

I still choose to stay out of it.
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:24 AM »

There are a lot of hams on Twitter and Facebook, as well as many other social media outlets such as Google+. 73s, etc. I have met many hams through the tweets and interacted with some vendors as well. There is an active group with a Echolink Net ( The #HamTwitNet can be found on EchoLink Node #387265, W5RAW-R at 01:00 UTC Thursdays) and I participated last week with a bunch of hams that tweet through on the air contacts. Many of us use our call signs as our twitter handle. I also help organize a meet and greet at Dayton every year as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: