Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 151  (Read 1678 times)
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »

Woohooo !!

Finally after four and a half years I made it past 150 entities.
149 - San Marino
150 - United Arab Emirates
151 - Jordan

I just passed my Extra exam on Saturday, the new frequencies helped get the new DX.
Most everything has been on 100 watts and a 3 element tribander at 20 feet. (armstrong rotor)

The next 50 is going to be hard...
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:55:27 PM »

CONGRATS on reaching 150!  Yes, you are correct..... It will get tougher as you go, but your next step wont be as hard as you think. 150 -200 and beyond is still easily doable with your station. Cheesy
Good Luck as you head on up the DXCC ladder! 73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:31:19 PM »

Gene is correct.  Actually your next 100 will not be terribly difficult so long as you stay fairly active.  I see you are using an A3S.  It's a good antenna for its size and cost but if you ever decide to add a legal limit amplifier you may find those traps burning out on you, as they did for me when I went to the legal limit. 

Congratulations and happy hunting!

Chris/NU1O
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »

It does get harder.  I am at 182/153.  Been doing it all with a wire antenna and have been active for about 14 months now.  It gets slower, but at the same time more rewarding.  I can't wait to get above 200!!!

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »

Congrats! I made it to 300 with homebrewed wire antennas and 200 watts. After that - I needed more power and aluminum higher In the sky.

I started dxing in 2001 and am now 2 away from honor roll.

I'm still a little pistol...

last cycle was better than this.......

Rich
KY6R
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

Congrats! You are in my area now!
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »

Nice!  I just passed my Extra too and the new CW frequencies should be quite a boon. 
I am at 167 LoTW confirmed mixed; 157 LoTW confirmed CW and 118 LoTW confirmed phone...

I've mainly used 100 watts and a fan dipole (inverted vee configuration), although it has been a G5RV (inverted vee configuration) for the last few months.  It will be back to a fan dipole next week. While till now the ant is up about 35 feet it should be closer to 45 feet next week -- I threw a ball with a string tied to it over a higher branch this time.

The G5RV is great on 20 meters, but is pretty bad on 30...

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »

Congrats! I made it to 300 with homebrewed wire antennas and 200 watts. After that - I needed more power and aluminum higher In the sky.

I started dxing in 2001 and am now 2 away from honor roll.

I'm still a little pistol...

last cycle was better than this.......

Rich
KY6R

Quite honestly Rich, you have been a huge inspiration for me, and my dad.  My dad laughed when I put up my wire antenna.  He said, sure you will be able to work state side but you'll never get DXCC with it. When I got bitten really hard by the DX bug I looked up your QRZ page and said to my self.  If he can do it, I can too.  I will confess that I have operated QRO as needed  since Christmas, but still wire antennas are all I can have at my current QTH.  Thanks, Rich for being a vocal inspiration for all of us little guys out here.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »

AD9DX:

Thanks Jon. All I did was read the ARRL Antenna Handbook, ON4UN Lowband DX-ing book and the Cebik website. And have fun.

Recently I stepped up a big notch and design my own yagis using YW and EZnec. Better than anything you can buy.

Having more fun than ever - and hang in there - perserverence and patience are the biggest skills you can have.

Rich
KY6R
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »

Congratulations!

I'd suggest making list of what you need, and then analyzing it, to figure out which of those you have a shot at working, whenever the band opens to that part of the world.  

In particular, you want a list of workable over the pole entities--due to auroral absorption, these will be your toughest countries. I've worked a lot of over the pole countries in the past six months. You should differentiate between entities with resident populations and those only activated by DX pedtions--you can expect to hear VR2s, but XX9s only show up during activations.

With your low antenna, you will often find that your band openings are different from stations with higher antennas.  This puts more of an emphasis on your hunting and pouncing skills--hence the need for a list to quickly work what you need, before the station gets tired of CQing and disappears.  There are a lot of smaller DX stations that don't get the attention of the bigger stations.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:15:23 AM by W1VT » Logged
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 04:42:58 AM »

Thanks for all the comments!
Yes, hunt and pounce is what I do for the big DX. I just wait for the DX to reach 55 or better first. I knew my propogation would be different than tall antennas because of the propogation angle but apparently it really makes a difference in my signal strength at the other end compared to others in my region. Being low is an asset at times, it's true but sounds pretty darn funny.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:05:19 AM »

Thanks for all the comments!
Yes, hunt and pounce is what I do for the big DX. I just wait for the DX to reach 55 or better first. I knew my propogation would be different than tall antennas because of the propogation angle but apparently it really makes a difference in my signal strength at the other end compared to others in my region. Being low is an asset at times, it's true but sounds pretty darn funny.

Congrats on reaching 150!

I too am a hunter and pouncer. I have just a dipole up about 60-70 feet, there are definitely times I wish I had more and I have to pay much attention to propagation and what times of the day / bands to be listening on. I'm not sure how much I would be able to work if I waited for sigs to read S5 or better, often I am digging out of the noise. If I can clearly make out what they are sending, I'll try calling. I'm pretty much a little pistol here, too. I do have an SB-200 in-line but I find most of the times I don't need it - it really only gets used if I know propagation is going to be a short window.

You'll definitely work more! 150 to 200 isn't bad at all, even 200-250. I've found it slows down after 250. I'm at about 275 worked, 265 confirmed now. Keep watching for dxpedition announcements and have fun!
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

I went to amazon.com and ordered some sunspots. Smiley

So 10m into China/Vietnam/India will be open any day now. Yep, any day now.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

So 10m into China/Vietnam/India will be open any day now. Yep, any day now.

Just watch for the W3LPL spots. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: