About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kosovo  (Read 9115 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »

Well it was asked as to objections for a Republic of Kosovo. To my knowledge there has never been one.
The area and Albania has always been administered by one power or another. Ottomans, Austro-Hungary, Italy, Greece, Germans, Yuogoslavia, and Serbia.
Since WWII Kosovo has been an area of Serbia.

Now back to religions and Albania. As Ottomans had control for many years, there was a strong Muslim following. The communist Albanians tried to
eradicate all religions in the 1970's as I recall. Had some success, but obviously stirred the pot in that area.

Well next we have Clinton interveneing in the area in late 1990's. The bombing campaigns etc. I am not saying what is right or wrong. But you know there was ethnic 
re-distribution. Certainly a controversial area. U.N. and US say this, the Russians and Serbs say otherwise.
As I understand it, even China sides with Serbia.

I guess this effort is at showing that the local Pristina, Kosovo government is in charge.

China and Russia are not much interested in Serbia or Kosovo as they are worried about international recognition of areas of their own countries that would rather be separated from the "mother" country. They don't want to set any precedents.
Your simple history of the area is....... simple and lacking.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »

Well it was asked as to objections for a Republic of Kosovo. To my knowledge there has never been one.
The area and Albania has always been administered by one power or another. Ottomans, Austro-Hungary, Italy, Greece, Germans, Yuogoslavia, and Serbia.

Now back to religions and Albania. As Ottomans had control for many years, there was a strong Muslim following. The communist Albanians tried to
eradicate all religions in the 1970's as I recall. Had some success, but obviously stirred the pot in that area.

Well next we have Clinton interveneing in the area in late 1990's. The bombing campaigns etc. I am not saying what is right or wrong. But you know there was ethnic 
re-distribution. Certainly a controversial area. U.N. and US say this, the Russians and Serbs say otherwise.

I guess this effort is at showing that the local Pristina, Kosovo government is in charge.

China and Russia are not much interested in Serbia or Kosovo as they are worried about international recognition of areas of their own countries that would rather be separated from the "mother" country. They don't want to set any precedents.

Another good point.
My explanation was meant to be simple. If I left out some governing body of consequence, please add it.
I think the main point is Kosovo has been governed by many in the last 100 years.
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »

Another good point.
My explanation was meant to be simple. If I left out some governing body of consequence, please add it.
I think the main point is Kosovo has been governed by many in the last 100 years.

Kosovo was part of Serbia long before WWII.  I think it goes back to the middle of the 19th Century when Serbia went independent from the Ottoman Empire.  As far as I know, Kosovo was part of Serbia then, and has been ever since. 

John AF5CC
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »

All about politics and ethnic strife...neither are any business of the amateur radio population....

Been tough to work from here (no, I don't have a mega tower with rotatable everythings on it).  Conditions have been poor, they aren't on much at 2200 UTC for our area, and when on, i.e. 30 or 40, very weak.  Then you have to deal with all the pirates out there playing games. 

Would rather they bide their time until the issue is resolve, THEN, put a team in there to do it right....not important who did it first, just be mindful of the political climate, sensitivities, etc., then ask about doing a good expedition.  Seems like much of this is ramming it through, but I don't know all the details (nor do I care).  Just another activity to work for to get it in the log under adverse conditions, and as they say, WFWL.

They are certainly beating the EU and East Coast to death with QSOs for sure.  I know many in my area still waiting for a good chance during the evenings to try, along with the brothers further to the West....

Again, all about politics....and with hard feelings and "issues" unresolved....hard to say...
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »

All about politics and ethnic strife...neither are any business of the amateur radio population....

Exactly.  It's a ham radio station in another part of the world and I'd like to put him in the log...whether it induces a tally mark on my "entities list" or not.  And I will not strain too much in an attempt to do so.

What I don't need are the grating tirades, salty language, and screams of, "Pee-rat!  Pee-rat!  Do not QSO.  Illegal!"  And all delivered without benefit of station identification.  I look at that, though, as just another challenge and it spurs me on to actually to try to contact Z60K.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »

Well the official word's out from the ARRL that Z60K, Kosovo is not an official DXCC Entity.  Their reason was Kosovo is not yet a member of the U.N. and IARU/ITU has not assigned it a block of callsign prefixes.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

Well the official word's out from the ARRL that Z60K, Kosovo is not an official DXCC Entity.  Their reason was Kosovo is not yet a member of the U.N. and IARU/ITU has not assigned it a block of callsign prefixes.

So where did they come up with the Z60K callsign?   Huh  73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »

Precisely. If it wasn't assigned to the Kosovar government by some governing agency, then how can the activity count for anything at all? If it was Serbia they'd need to be using a Serbian-authorized prefix.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

It's the Z60K Contest!  Leaderboards are in full swing https://secure.clublog.org/charts/?c=Z60K#r; pileups are competitive.   Embarrassed Embarrassed

AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 07:13:33 PM »

It's the Z60K Contest!  Leaderboards are in full swing https://secure.clublog.org/charts/?c=Z60K#r; pileups are competitive.   Embarrassed Embarrassed

Well I lead on the pirate board.4 qso's with Z60K and only 1 good one. Whats the Country number fo a pirate so I can collect the different pirate station. Maybe I can get DXCC pirates.

WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »

Frankly, this is all quite confusing. I'm not sure what is valid as far if its a new country or not. Certainly, I'm glad for everyone stating their opinions and thoughts- its enlightening to say the very least. However, I don't understand how a license could be issued/granted for the Republic of Kosovo since there's no information listed anywhere( I can't find) including/referencing the United Nations list of countries. Is there any information available anywhere that is factual pertaining to the Republic of Kosovo?
Best regards and many 73 to all.
Don sr. - WA2TPU
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 07:49:24 PM »

My apologies fellow hams.....I did NOT see this previous post ---
Best regards and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU

from www.iaru-r1.org:
Monday, September 10, 2012 marked the end of supervised independence of the Republic of Kosovo, a European country with a population of 2 million, and the beginning of its status as a fully sovereign state. The ceremonies featured a keynote address by a former UN Envoy for Kosovo, President Martti Ahtisaari of Finland, an architect of the March 26, 2007 Comprehensive Proposal for the Kosovo Status Settlement which now came to its completion. In his speech at Monday's special session of the Kosovo Parliament, President Ahtisaari stated: “Five years ago I offered to the Secretary-General of the United Nations a blueprint for a sovereign, multi-ethnic democracy called Kosovo. Today we celebrate the full and final adoption of the principles and structures of that blueprint into the institutions, the processes, and the legal framework of an independent, functioning state." Pursuant to the Settlement Proposal, an International Steering Group (ISG) - consisting of twenty-five countries - was formed to oversee and guide the development of good governance, multi-ethnicity and rule of law in Kosovo. The ISG has now completed its duties, allowing Kosovo to continue with full sovereignty and the management of its own affairs as a member of the world community.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 02:42:02 AM »

I read where it came from aviation assignments. Tail numbers.

I just visited ITU-R website. No Z6 at ITU-R. No Kosovo. No news or notice. There is Z8 for South Sudan.
73 Tony N5UD
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »

That's amazing. One entire entity in one photograph.

And moring, that didn't count as a new one but the BS7 did...look familiar?
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »

Been tough to work from here (no, I don't have a mega tower with rotatable everythings on it).  Conditions have been poor, they aren't on much at 2200 UTC for our area, and when on, i.e. 30 or 40, very weak.  Then you have to deal with all the pirates out there playing games. 

Would rather they bide their time until the issue is resolve, THEN, put a team in there to do it right....not important who did it first, just be mindful of the political climate, sensitivities, etc., then ask about doing a good expedition.  Seems like much of this is ramming it through, but I don't know all the details (nor do I care).  Just another activity to work for to get it in the log under adverse conditions, and as they say, WFWL.

They are certainly beating the EU and East Coast to death with QSOs for sure.  I know many in my area still waiting for a good chance during the evenings to try, along with the brothers further to the West....

Again, all about politics....and with hard feelings and "issues" unresolved....hard to say...

Well put!

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: