About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kosovo  (Read 9585 times)
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 04:23:26 AM »

Well it was asked as to objections for a Republic of Kosovo. To my knowledge there has never been one.
The area and Albania has always been administered by one power or another. Ottomans, Austro-Hungary, Italy, Greece, Germans, Yuogoslavia, and Serbia.
Since WWII Kosovo has been an area of Serbia.

Now back to religions and Albania. As Ottomans had control for many years, there was a strong Muslim following. The communist Albanians tried to
eradicate all religions in the 1970's as I recall. Had some success, but obviously stirred the pot in that area.

Well next we have Clinton interveneing in the area in late 1990's. The bombing campaigns etc. I am not saying what is right or wrong. But you know there was ethnic 
re-distribution. Certainly a controversial area. U.N. and US say this, the Russians and Serbs say otherwise.
As I understand it, even China sides with Serbia.

I guess this effort is at showing that the local Pristina, Kosovo government is in charge.

China and Russia are not much interested in Serbia or Kosovo as they are worried about international recognition of areas of their own countries that would rather be separated from the "mother" country. They don't want to set any precedents.

Bingo.  Can anyone say the words Chechnya and Tibet?
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »

Well it was asked as to objections for a Republic of Kosovo. To my knowledge there has never been one.
The area and Albania has always been administered by one power or another. Ottomans, Austro-Hungary, Italy, Greece, Germans, Yuogoslavia, and Serbia.
Since WWII Kosovo has been an area of Serbia.

Now back to religions and Albania. As Ottomans had control for many years, there was a strong Muslim following. The communist Albanians tried to
eradicate all religions in the 1970's as I recall. Had some success, but obviously stirred the pot in that area.

Well next we have Clinton interveneing in the area in late 1990's. The bombing campaigns etc. I am not saying what is right or wrong. But you know there was ethnic 
re-distribution. Certainly a controversial area. U.N. and US say this, the Russians and Serbs say otherwise.
As I understand it, even China sides with Serbia.

I guess this effort is at showing that the local Pristina, Kosovo government is in charge.

China and Russia are not much interested in Serbia or Kosovo as they are worried about international recognition of areas of their own countries that would rather be separated from the "mother" country. They don't want to set any precedents.

Bingo.  Can anyone say the words Chechnya and Tibet?
Well here is an interesting take. I met this guy from Macedonia last week while on a trip.
I inquired as to whether he had any opinion on the Kosovo Republic situation.
"It is the US. They wanted a naval base in Albania, so they are doing whatever to please Albania."

I didn't pursue the matter.

73 Tony N5UD
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »

I completely missed this activation due to my antenna being blown down by a wind storm. The lazy and idiot author of this post (me) forgot to let out a little slack in my antenna to allow for the 60-70mph gusts rolling through. Lesson learned by having to re-install my antenna which included a dip in the river behind my house to retrieve the other end of my slingshot antenna thingy.

Hopefully there will be other activations soon...
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: