Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kosovo  (Read 9641 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:28:06 AM »

http://www.iaru-r1.org/

So the question remains - How long can the UN, the ITU, and the ARRL ignore this new independent country?
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »

For the ARRL to add it to the DXCC countries list, it has to either:

1. Get an assigned ITU prefix-not sure what that involves
2. Become a UN member-currently Russia, amongst others, are blocking UN membership for it.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »

http://www.iaru-r1.org/

So the question remains - How long can the UN, the ITU, and the ARRL ignore this new independent country?

I'm sorry, but from a DXers standpoint..... why do I not care?  Its going to be just another "work at will with a wet noodle" entity.  I WOULD like to see something RARE added tho...... Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »

It doesn't sound like the conditions that have kept them off the DXCC List have changed, right?
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »

Russians have a vote on the UN security council and will block UN admission for Kosovo for who knows how long. Amateur radio is alive and well there albeit with a YU8 prefix. Unless DXCC changes the new entity rules, this will remain in place until if/when UN admission happens.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »

I agree with Gene and Rich.  A) It is easy to work and B) nothing has changed with Russia.  Russia is still against Kosovo becoming a country and they have a veto so things will not change.

Chris/NU1O
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »

I am curious to know what Russia's beef is with Kosovo becoming a country....is it cultural?....Religious?.....Ethnic?...Does it have something to do with the breakup of YU?......Not to get all political on everyone, but I am just wondering what Russia's gripe is......either way, I am not losing sleep over it (as I have had more important troubles to worry about lately), but if I had my drouthers, I'd rather have Kosovo (a real mass of land) on the list than a bunch of pebbles in the water that some say qualifies as a country.....I think you all know what I mean, eh Geno???..... Roll Eyes Wink.............

V
KA3NRX
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »

I am curious to know what Russia's beef is with Kosovo becoming a country....is it cultural?....Religious?.....Ethnic?...Does it have something to do with the breakup of YU?......Not to get all political on everyone, but I am just wondering what Russia's gripe is......either way, I am not losing sleep over it (as I have had more important troubles to worry about lately), but if I had my drouthers, I'd rather have Kosovo (a real mass of land) on the list than a bunch of pebbles in the water that some say qualifies as a country.....I think you all know what I mean, eh Geno???..... Roll Eyes Wink.............

V
KA3NRX

I thought it was because Kosovo is part of Serbia. Serbia has always been a Russian ally. If Serbia says Kosovo is still Serbia and has been for decades. Someone just may as well move on.

I guess the Russians are not into "nation building"

73 Tony N5UD
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »

Good discussion - this makes sense. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if and when it is added to the list - I'm much more excited about ZL9HR, Z80B, VK0/H plus a few that I know will be announced to top 20 places for 2013.

Its funny, after working Malpelo, Yemen, Palestine and Iran this year (all considered rare for the West Coast - and only Malpelo being "easy") I've become addicted to the really rare ones - they have been driving me to really get into designing and building the antennas that will help me snag them. That has made DXCC all that much more fun in the process.

Kosovo as a new one will be as exciting as the "PJ's" were for me. Easy and only mildly exciting.

And now I completely understand why entities that are only "pebbles in the sea" will remain on the list until they end up like this:

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/qsl-history/undefined/7J1RL.jpg

One day I will do a DXCC Sleuth blog on it. Its one of the most amazing activations ever.

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »

That's amazing. One entire entity in one photograph.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 01:00:53 PM »

Good discussion - this makes sense. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if and when it is added to the list - I'm much more excited about ZL9HR, Z80B, VK0/H plus a few that I know will be announced to top 20 places for 2013.

Its funny, after working Malpelo, Yemen, Palestine and Iran this year (all considered rare for the West Coast - and only Malpelo being "easy") I've become addicted to the really rare ones - they have been driving me to really get into designing and building the antennas that will help me snag them. That has made DXCC all that much more fun in the process.

Kosovo as a new one will be as exciting as the "PJ's" were for me. Easy and only mildly exciting.

And now I completely understand why entities that are only "pebbles in the sea" will remain on the list until they end up like this:

One day I will do a DXCC Sleuth blog on it. Its one of the most amazing activations ever.

verticals should be killers on ...... that rock ?

I have that QSL !
73 Tony N5UD
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

IARU 79, 'nuff said Wink
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »

I can't find anywhere the group there is actually asking for DXCC status. They may have hinted at it, but they seem to be more focused on establishing amateur radio there and the establishment of an amateur radio society.

I may have missed it, but even the link at the Z60K QRZ.com page makes references to current and future problems that could effect independence status - including that NATO forces will remain in the country, presumably until an agreement with Serbia and Kosovo is reached.

Although it would be a nice QSL to have from a history point of view - the DXCC rules are clear, so unless they have a secret ITU callsign block assigned - I don't think the rules should be bent. To do otherwise would mock the current rules.

Well after I wrote the above, I found this on their clublog logs:

"Provisionally The Republic of Kosovo - pending news from ARRL"

so.......?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:34:29 PM by NU4B » Logged
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »

Well it was asked as to objections for a Republic of Kosovo. To my knowledge there has never been one.
The area and Albania has always been administered by one power or another. Ottomans, Austro-Hungary, Italy, Greece, Germans, Yuogoslavia, and Serbia.
Since WWII Kosovo has been an area of Serbia.

Now back to religions and Albania. As Ottomans had control for many years, there was a strong Muslim following. The communist Albanians tried to
eradicate all religions in the 1970's as I recall. Had some success, but obviously stirred the pot in that area.

Well next we have Clinton interveneing in the area in late 1990's. The bombing campaigns etc. I am not saying what is right or wrong. But you know there was ethnic 
re-distribution. Certainly a controversial area. U.N. and US say this, the Russians and Serbs say otherwise.
As I understand it, even China sides with Serbia.

I guess this effort is at showing that the local Pristina, Kosovo government is in charge.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »

Some recent interesting comments on working Kosovo on the clusters (As Usual. hi). A NA ham noted "WFWL, up 3", and a German ham replied something like " Not good, illegal to communicate with.....".

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:59:27 PM by AF3Y » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: