Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Statesi Non-QSLers  (Read 3827 times)
W7ARX

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:55:02 AM »

What is up with the ops that you send SASEs to, a card, a peel and stick SASE, not once, but at least twice, and still, they never QSL.  Stockpiling the envelopes?

One thing is for sure, these guys won't be logging my call or getting any further QSLs from me.  What a waste of money.  So easy to do, effortless, as all the work has already been done, nada, zilch...I don't get it....

Shocked
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »

I think the SASE practice is complete bulls&*t to begin with... but I have run into the same exact situation as you. They're cheap people who demand you send them a SASE and then they don't even have the courtesy to return it. That part of the hobby is a major negative.

(I'm not talking about DX stations with SASE, that I understand)

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »

I admit I have not QSL'd 100%. Nearly, but not 100%. But there is no excuse not to if there's an SASE.

A surprising number of people I've looked up on QRZ claim to not QSL at all, by any means.
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »

I've seen the non QSLers on QRZ.com as well... I asked a couple of them about it, since I wanted their card, and they said it was a mis-type or they didn't realize that it was saying that. I'm in the habit now of just emailing them if I really want their card to confirm what QRZ is saying.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »

Yes, I don't get it when the work is all done by the sender to begin with.  I always QSL 100%.
One is a well know op up north and the other runs a ham a ham website.  Worked both, QSL'd twice, which does cost something in money, and never a reply.  So, I just add them to my list of ops likely to never log me again. 

To me, its part of this hobby unless you write up a profile that the public can see that states, "I don't do QSLs".  Fine.  Understand that.
Just don't understand the laziness or lack of common courtesy.  Oh well....

KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »

I usually look up the call sign on QRZ. If they say they don't QSL, and that is not contradicted by the information at the top of the page, I just don't bother to send a card. Some people put "No" in the "QSL by mail" section to indicate that they don't QSL by mail at all, and some put it there to indicate that they won't send initiate a card exchange.

-- Tom
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »

On a more positive note, the last three people I had QSOs with sent me QSL cards with no prompting from myself. Very nice! I sent mine out immediately upon receipt.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »

FUU:  As I went down through this forum thread the first thing that came to my mind was for stations to "check QRZ.com!" 

Along with the many changes in ham radio, QSL exchange happens to be one thing that has changed dramatically.  Unfortunately.  I for one, QSL if someone sends an SASE and that is only until my present stock of cards is depleted.

Reason being expense.  Many older hams, including myself, simply can't justify spending  money on cards anymore; money that is needed for essentials. Sure, homemade cards can be done and perhaps I'll go that way.  I don't know yet.

I can understand your frustration but it's necessary to consider the times we're living in.

K8AXW
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 09:34:28 PM »

What sucks is when you work a rare state or grid square and the one qsl you really need you never get. I always enjoyed sending and receiving cards. Even with postage being expensive a card sent now and then isn`t expensive. It`s not like I send cards to everyone I work. I will respond though when I get them. I agree that sending a sase does the work for them.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »

I sent a guy by the name of James (Sonny) in Hawaii a QSL card and a SASE 2 times in a 6 month period and I never received anything from him at all. I have had 3 or so more QSO's with him since then and I always ask about my card from him. He always says the he will send it soon. Yah right !!  I gave up on that. I only QSL now if I receive on first.  73 Jim W5JJG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 07:44:03 AM »

Sometimes the people who you think you communicated with aren't those people at all.  I've received a few QSL cards from operators whom I didn't contact, but I've tried to respond in kind, especially if they included a SASE.

With the way people are today, I wouldn't be surprised if the ones you sent a card to just don't bother with it, SASE or not.  73!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 05:56:36 AM »

And then there are contesters. I won't even work some US contest stations these days because I don't want any more QSL cards from them. It certainly used to happen if you were an active contester that you would get 40+ cards  each year from some of them - one for each mode, band and contest.

QSLing 100% via bureau is one way of getting cards into waste bins, especially special event and Jamboree on the Air stations, because a lot of people just don't collect from the bureau.

SAE (Self Addressed Envelope) unstamped is fine for foreign countries: I still get direct QSLs from the US with a return addressed envelope complete with US domestic postage rate stamps on it. Not exactly much use over here.......
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

All I can say is "lids will be lids".  If one takes the time to address an envelope, send a card, provide a stamp and the receiving end is too ignorant or lazy or self important to respond, then to me, they are lids.  If I know they don't do QSLing, I don't bother.  But neither of the two recent lids I have encountered state that.

GL and hope all get confirmed the countries, grids, etc. that they need!
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

I, for one, QSL 100% and do not require a SASE or even a card from the other station. An email with the QSO info will get you a card if you're in the log.

The one's I really hate are the QSL cards I need that get mailed as a postcard with the stamp on the card. I get them and they are all smudged, dirty and worn out looking. I put my QSL cards in a 6 3/4 envelope and would like the same in return. If I want the card to be clean, I will request it and send a SASE to get it.

It's really a weird situation when I can get cards via the buro and they look much nice and clean than the ones from the PO.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »

QSLing 100% via bureau is one way of getting cards into waste bins, especially special event and Jamboree on the Air stations, because a lot of people just don't collect from the bureau.

Tell me about it. As the "L" segment manager for the W6 Incoming DX QSL buro, I get a bunch of new callsigns with every load of incoming cards. I notify these 'lids' and never ever hear back from them as to whether they want the cards or not. I eventually slash the QSO info and marked REJECTED by CALL (invalidate them) and throw them in the reject pile. I give these out as souveniers to new hams or prospective hams when the need presents itself.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: