Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: learning cw on a 746 pro  (Read 461 times)
KI6GVV

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

Is there a way to setup my 746 pro so I can use it as an oscillator to learn code on? I did not see anything is the manual or perhaps Im blind

thanks

Brad
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »

Plug in a key.  Connect rig to a dummy load just in case.  The switch you're looking for is the one marked BK-IN/VOX on the bottom row of buttons.  On my IC-738, the button has to be out.  Then you should be able to hear the sidetone without keying the transmitter itself.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AB8ZX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:31:02 AM »

you may also want to adjust your rf gain/squelch so you get no background noise. this is what I do when I'm adjusting keys and bugs.
W4HAY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:17:10 AM »

The status of the VOX/BK-IN button is shown on the LCD panel just below the SWR indicator strip. As you press the button, the display will chance from "BK-IN" to "F BK-IN" (full break-in) and then go blank, indicating that that break-in is 'off'. This is the position you want.

Listen to ARRL's code practice sessions to hear what properly-sent code should sound like. Believe me, there are some atrocious fists on the air, and more than a few of them belong to us old-f***s! Once you learn a few characters, the practice sessions will be invaluable for increasing your speed under real-world conditions.  
W4HAY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:19:35 AM »

Umm, of course the rig should be in "CW" mode! But you knew that, right?  :-)
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:06:08 AM »

Also, learn to look at the RED TRANSMIT LED, GREEN RECEIVE LED. I lost a few QSOs because VOX wasn't on, I sent CW but it never went over the air. Also, you want to make sure you're not keying over someone when you are trying to zero-beat their signal. Check the status of those lights. You can't look at the bargraph for this, because that reads 100W when you might be receiving with RF Gain turned all the way down. Some think the ALC is useless for CW, but it can be very helpful to see you're transmitting if your power is dialed down to 5W; the power meter won't register any output but the ALC meter will. Also, I've noticed the newer models of the rig have the RX/TX LEDs more plainly visible above the VFO knob and you can see them both at the same time. The old models had the LEDs more to the sides of the knobs, harder to see them both. Also the older models had the wrong sideband for CW much like a Heathkit; the new models fixed this so when you turn the VFO up the audio CW tone goes up much like Kenwood. If you have an old model with the wrong sideband, hold in the CW button until it says CW-R. This puts the rig on the other sideband so you won't go nuts chasing a CW tone in the wrong direction during zero-beat. Am I the only op left who still zero-beats? Lots of guys are off frequency.
KI6GVV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »

Thank you all for your responses

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: