Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CX instead of CQDX  (Read 10867 times)
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »

Instead of calling CQDX in voice, CW, or digital why not send CX.
Wouldn't it make life easier? I don't think anyone would confuse it with calling Uraguay at least not after people caught on.

My 2 cents.

Tim
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:22:34 AM »

Why call CQ DX at all? What do you mean by 'DX'? A different country, a different continent? Better is an aimed CQ to where the band is open or likely to be, such as CQ JA or CQ EU. Or just CQ.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:26 AM »

I've kinda wondered about that too. "CQ DX" lets the locals know I am only looking beyond the country I live in??
I agree CQ is good enough. Let the adventure begin!!!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »

I like your idea of calling CX! Might the ARRL be able to give this a push?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »

I think we should all send Bens best bent wire.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:47:02 AM »

And what if the North Korean station looking for a Q on the frequency doesn't understand CX? LOL!

Would a regular CQ just become C? Or a long T?

I'm all in favor of making DX CQs longer and clearer. I do a lot of monitoring and it seems that about 10% of CQ DX calls around the bands are answered by non-DX for various reasons...rarely good ones. Such as, "I just wanted to let you know you're getting out."  (when the CQer is running a KW and big stack). 

Adding "No kids, no lids, no space cadets." might help.

To an experienced DXer the meaning of CQ DX is usually clear from the context. I call CQ DX on 60 meters but that's about the only situation. I usually finish by making it clear that I'm looking outside North America.

General rule: No CQ DX by U.S. stations. Generally it's an unproductive ego trip. A waste of spectrum. Something new hams do. 

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

Tim:  Go for it!  One other guy got his 15 minutes of fame by getting the world to switch from cycles to hertz. 

Another got the FCC to pass a law saying that hams need to calculate their RF "footprint" to keep from irradiating their families and neighbors.

And the list goes on.

No reason why you can't do this.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »

So what if I'm calling CX CX CX de KJ6AMF K?

Am I calling any DX or do I really want Uruguay?

In general you would want a longer CQ and not shorter. Longer increases the likelihood of being found and the answering station needs time to zero beat. The only time I can think that you would want a shorter CQ is when in a contest in which case you would change it to something like CQ TST or CQP (e.g. California QSO Party).
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:56 AM »

One other guy got his 15 minutes of fame by getting the world to switch from cycles to hertz.

Hertz has been the SI unit for frequency since the 1930s I believe. I'm sure WW2 had something to do with the U.S. sticking with the non-political "cycles."  German hams called it "Hertz" long before we did.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »

One other guy got his 15 minutes of fame by getting the world to switch from cycles to hertz.

Hertz has been the SI unit for frequency since the 1930s I believe. I'm sure WW2 had something to do with the U.S. sticking with the non-political "cycles."  German hams called it "Hertz" long before we did.

The odd thing is that Heinrich Hertz, the German physicist from who the name of the frequency units came from, had a Jewish father.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »

OD: I'm really not interested in the history of hertz vs. cycle.  All I know is the term cycle or cycles per second was in use long before I got into ham radio.  It is also a descriptive term which is easy to understand.  "X" number of hertz per second is no different than saying "X" number of Xydnes per second.  Both are nonsense.

But let's not get off subject. OK?  Sorry I commented.  I sometimes get annoyed at nonsensical changes.  Or the desire for nonsensical changes.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »

K8AXW wrote:
All I know is the term cycle or cycles per second was in use long before I got into ham radio.  It is also a descriptive term which is easy to understand.  "X" number of hertz per second is no different than saying "X" number of Xydnes per second.  Both are nonsense.

The unit for cyclical frequency (as opposed to radian frequency) is simply "Hertz."  It's not Hertz per second.  Hertz per second would be the correct units for a sweep rate of some sort.
Chuck  NI0C
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »

Thank Chuck.  That's good to know.  They should put it on the Extra exam.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 02:12:12 AM »

Early on I was told that when someone calls CQ DX, they are looking for a contact outside the country of their call.  What I would really like to know is what the record time of a CQ DX is.  In June I heard one that seemed to go on forever.  When the op called again I timed it and got 46 seconds from start to finish.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »

AOP:  That my friend is either automation or desperation!  Probably desperation!   Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: