Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for a quiet PS  (Read 1654 times)
NA7U

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2012, 06:12:20 AM »

20A to 30A range and something very quiet. My PS is the biggest noise maker in the shack.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:35:21 AM »

Astron or Pyramid supplies are good solidly built units.  Just remember that, as with most anything, the more you pay, the better quality you're likely to get.  The cheap supplies that are coming out of China right now are a case in point--those units are likely to seem OK and may be quiet--now.  Use them for a few months, though, and you'll probably be real disappointed after those cheap parts used to make them start to wear.
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 07:15:49 AM »

Astron or Pyramid supplies are good solidly built units.  <snip for brevity>

Hihi, it's a Pyramid that I want to replace! The fan is very noisy. My Samlex is quieter but I'm wondering if there are virtually silent models in that range that folks have experience with. Maybe Astron?

KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »

I have an older Astron SS-30 switching supply that is all but completely quiet. It has served me well for years. It does have a cooling fan that cycles on and off but honestly it is not loud at all. Just enough to barely be noticeable. I dont know about the newest models. One thing I have noticed though is that everybody's ideal of noisy seems to be different. What is quiet to me might be too loud for you. Astron RS-35M is a great linear supply. It's heavy but there will be no noise as it does not have any cooling fans. Neither does my RS-50M. Heavy but quiet and reliable.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:13:24 AM by KJ4I » Logged
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »

I always liked the Samlex SEC-1223. Used them for commercial installations while working for a Motorola dealer - in desktop installations where the transceiver was mounted in a little cabinet directly on top of the power supply.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »

astron. get like a 35 amp for a 100 watt radio, and you will be using it at mid range, not running at the limit like you would with a 20 amp power supply.
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »

I don't know if anyone else has used MCMelectronics.com but I have this one
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-7655

Tenma Heavy Duty 60 Amp Switch Mode Power Supply and its at 249$ right now, I paid 300 back a year ago. Its very quiet and I use it very often with no issues at all, very light weight.
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »

I don't know if anyone else has used MCMelectronics.com but I have this one
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-7655

Tenma Heavy Duty 60 Amp Switch Mode Power Supply and its at 249$ right now, I paid 300 back a year ago. Its very quiet and I use it very often with no issues at all, very light weight.

Hadn't heard of these before, they sure look good, which is saying something for a PS!

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »

First of all, when you say "noise" I take it you mean ELECTRICAL noise, not MECHANICAL.  If I'm correct, then my recommendation is to stay with a linear supply.  If you mean mechanical, then you'll have to do some listening tests to find one that meets your requirements.  Bear in mind that many of the newer Astron linear supplies now include a fan so take that into account as well.  From reading the above posts, the biggest complaint I find against the linear supplies is their WEIGHT!  Never before thought of 25 to 30 pounds as being HEAVY.  Most hams I've seen lately could use a little more exercise anyway so I'd consider that a free bonus.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:54:26 AM »

Hihi, it's a Pyramid that I want to replace! The fan is very noisy. My Samlex is quieter but I'm wondering if there are virtually silent models in that range that folks have experience with. Maybe Astron?

Indeed!  Then why not replace the fan unit itself?  That's what I did to the Pyramid supply I have, a PS-21KX.  I also blocked off some of the vent holes so that the PC board is in a kind of 'tunnel' instead of having the fan move air that doesn't even reach the PC board.  Just get a computer case fan, one of the smaller ones, and fabricate brackets that will hold it.  Hook the fan directly to the output (12 volt) and get rid of the extra circuit that the original fan used if the power supply had one.  The tenth of an amp that the fan uses won't ever be missed, and you'll have a better power supply unit to boot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: