About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Z60K  (Read 9868 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »

I'm confused. This seems to be a repeat of the "grand opening" of Kosovo as an entity, but it still doesn't qualify for DXCC, right?

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »

As I understand it, the IARU (an advocacy body, like the ARRL) has simply indicated that Kosovo SHOULD be recognized as a country. This, of course, does not mean anything. As far as I know, Kosovo has not been authorized to issue licenses by the ITU nor has it been assigned a prefix block. In short, it seems Z60K could generally be considered a pirate station.

In order to be recognized for DXCC credit, either Kosovo must be recognized as a country by the UN and/or the ITU must recognize it as such. I don't think either of these have happened or are likely to happen in the near future.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:11:17 PM by N7SMI » Logged
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »

My guess is that any contacts with Kosovo will not count for DXCC until after a certain date, which still resides in the future.

So I will Work First Worry Later. Maybe Martti has a time machine in his back pocket Smiley
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:33:59 PM by AB8MA » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »

At best they're good for Serbia at the moment. I don't see any possibility of Kosovo getting a full U.N. blessing. I'm not sure about ITU regulations, though - might it be possible for them to receive a callsign block even if they're not a fully-recognized U.N. member state?

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »

South and North Korea didn't become members of the UN until 1991 - or somewhere around there. And many countries recognize one or the other as the "real" Korea. I guess they had a ITU block. But that all happened before the new rules.
I'm not getting political, but if one country loses control over a section of their country and this "region" becomes recognized by many countries, it would be hard to claim that the new independent "region" is still the "old country". Whether they have UN status or an ITU block really is irrelevant.  It would be hard to claim contacts with the new region is really the old country when the old country has absolutely no control over what goes on there. 
But the rules are the rules.
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »

from www.iaru-r1.org:
Monday, September 10, 2012 marked the end of supervised independence of the Republic of Kosovo, a European country with a population of 2 million, and the beginning of its status as a fully sovereign state. The ceremonies featured a keynote address by a former UN Envoy for Kosovo, President Martti Ahtisaari of Finland, an architect of the March 26, 2007 Comprehensive Proposal for the Kosovo Status Settlement which now came to its completion. In his speech at Monday's special session of the Kosovo Parliament, President Ahtisaari stated: “Five years ago I offered to the Secretary-General of the United Nations a blueprint for a sovereign, multi-ethnic democracy called Kosovo. Today we celebrate the full and final adoption of the principles and structures of that blueprint into the institutions, the processes, and the legal framework of an independent, functioning state." Pursuant to the Settlement Proposal, an International Steering Group (ISG) - consisting of twenty-five countries - was formed to oversee and guide the development of good governance, multi-ethnicity and rule of law in Kosovo. The ISG has now completed its duties, allowing Kosovo to continue with full sovereignty and the management of its own affairs as a member of the world community. This is now the overall state of affairs regarding of Kosovo's formal status, which enables the country to pursue its chosen course independently into the future. Kosovo is now an independent country, which must be honored as such. As of today, a total of 91 countries, including most of the industrialized world, such as USA, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom and France along with the Benelux and Nordic countries, have recognized the Republic of Kosovo. These powers have endorsed the final settlement, the fulfilment of which is now celebrated in Kosovo's capital Prishtina. An Amateur Radio working group headed by IARU Region 1 President Hans Blondeel Timmerman, PB2T and including IARU Region 1 Executive Committee Member Nikola Percin, 9A5W and Mission Goodwill Kosovo Coordinator Martti Laine, OH2BH together with their associates are in the final stages of assisting Kosovo’s Telecom Authorities in drafting regulations governing Amateur Radio in Kosovo, to bring the original Kosovar operators and their re-vitalized Amateur Radio Association back to the international community. http://www.voanews.com/content/supervised-independence-ends-in-kosovo/1505339.html
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »

Well that's all fine and dandy, but until they are assigned an ITU prefix block or formally recognized by the U.N. as a separate nation, it won't count as a new DXCC entity. And rightfully so, IMHO. Not for any political reasoning, but simply because the League's rules are now very clear.

There were too many special exceptions made in the past; BS7 being chief amongst them. DXCC 2000 clarified the new entity requirements, and I hope the ARRL sticks to its guns in this case. Now with that said, WFWL! I do hope they're granted a prefix block, retroactive to Sept. 10th, but if it doesn't happen then so be it.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »

I don't recall BS7 being an "exception". It met the rules at the time.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:05:11 PM »

I hope that the ARRL DXCC sticks by their rules, and if Kosovo qualifies as a new entity, great, if it doesn't, well, then we wait.

If the rules are changed due to pressure by any group - just to get a new entity on the list - then hell - I have a few requests of my own. . . . .  and they are a couple of Deletes . . .   Grin

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »

It wasn't quite that simple. From many long-standing DXers' recollections, it was a square peg that was turned on a lathe until it fit the proverbial round hole. For my tastes, I like something that's unambiguous, and with no asterisks or debate. It is or it isn't, based on today's rules.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »

I hope that the ARRL DXCC sticks by their rules, and if Kosovo qualifies as a new entity, great, if it doesn't, well, then we wait.

If the rules are changed due to pressure by any group - just to get a new entity on the list - then hell - I have a few requests of my own. . . . .  and they are a couple of Deletes . . .   Grin

I couldn't say it any better.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »

It wasn't quite that simple. From many long-standing DXers' recollections, it was a square peg that was turned on a lathe until it fit the proverbial round hole. For my tastes, I like something that's unambiguous, and with no asterisks or debate. It is or it isn't, based on today's rules.

As a long-standing dxer myself I can say that it was distasteful too many that such a speck could be considered a "country". This led to the minimum size rule. Nevertheless, at the time, there was no rule that could prevent it from being added to the DXCC list.
PE5T

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »

One of the operators (PB2T) is IARU R1 chairman. I can't imagine that this is an illegal operation. He is active in the ITU and the ITU headquarters is hosting the 4U1ITU station. Why take the risk of creating a conflict between IARU and ITU.
Possibly, the Z6 prefix has been addressed but it has not yet been published.
Is being a UN-member state a condition to obtain a prefix?

Kees, PE5T
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »

As a long-standing dxer myself I can say that it was distasteful too many that such a speck could be considered a "country". This led to the minimum size rule. Nevertheless, at the time, there was no rule that could prevent it from being added to the DXCC list.

Also, DXAC turned it down but the ARRL BoD decided to vote it in.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »

My one simple question in all this: Under who's authority is Z6 being used?

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: