Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much info on PSK31??  (Read 33619 times)
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

Just don't bother logging these people. If enough DX stations do this, they'll get the message when they get their cards back marked "Not in Log".

Nope. No they won't. Not likely. I like to think I'm bright enough to listen to what's going on before I jump into the fray. I like to think I'm wise enough to be considerate. I'd never connect the two if I didn't see it in a 6 page topic. I'd get my QSL card some time after the contact and think, "Huh. Weird". After enough of them, I'd start to get the idea of.. "Huh, Weird and aggravating". But I'd most likely not connect those dots.

I think the best you can do is make people aware of the idea of listening first, approaching a QSO like you'd approach a conversation with a stranger and letting people know that macros, while useful, can be EXTREMELY boring and rude if misused.

Interestingly, the same thing happens on voice. I remember sitting in a pile up recently during an event and having some elderly gentleman make his contact and then start asking the station about their radio.. and how do they like it.. and how long have they had it.. and his favorite radio from back in the day.. and what kind of antenna he's using.. and on and on. Meh.. people are people. The upside is that I'd like to think this guy wasn't being rude on purpose. He was just.. obliviously unaware?? Probably wasn't even thinking about the line, much less holding it up. And I'm guessing he wouldn't get his QSL card and think, "Huh.. I must be sending too much junk in my macros that no one cares about at times when it's not conversationally appropriate".

Maybe the software developers could help. The first screen that pops up when you go to edit your macros should say.. "WARNING: Macros are useful but can be over used. This overuse can be boring and rude if not paired with conversational awareness. Please be kind to your fellow hams and use with care."

And the next screen pops up and says, "No.. really! we mean YOU!"

Ultimately, like in everything else, the problem is people  Wink

Chris
AK4KZ
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »

This is how I want a PSK31 QSO to go:

CQ CQ CQ DE N8HM N8HM N8HM PSE K

EA1AB EA1AB

EA1AB 599 EA1AB

TU 599

EA1AB TU 73 QRZ? DE N8HM K

Sadly, I guess I have to resort to RTTY for that kind of QSO.

That is not a QSO... This is a contact!

A QSO is an excahnge of information such as name, QTH, rig, antenna or even the weather and throw in some common
interests.  It does not have to be a half hour conversation but the 599 TU is not a QSO.
KO3D

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »

If you want to share alot of useless macro info, at least use PSK125!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »

I think the problem here is that contesters think that there is always a contest, and that everybody else is a contester.

One of the primary functions of amateur radio is to meet people, chat, and spread good will.  I don't really see this happening when all people do is shoot a couple of bytes of information at the other person and then expect them to move on.

This contester mentality is detrimental to the hobby.  Fine, if you are in a contest and working another contester, do your thing.  But don't expect the rest of us to conform to your silly ways, we have no use for them.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: