Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much info on PSK31??  (Read 31967 times)
WN4E

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »

OK just couldn't resist chiming in on this topic.  Granted there are numerous sides to this debate. I also don't like the long canned macros.  BUT, I do use my macros.  I have 3 levels, Contest, Short and Sweet, and polite info. I am still amazed by the number of older( +75) hams on this mode. Granted their typing skills have probably weakened and lots have minimum computer skills.  I guess my take on this ... if the person sending on the other end is not doing what YOU expect, then you have the right to move on and should do so.  Like wise he has the right to send as much info as he wants, if it bothers you then move on.  This is like the American philosophy  " I may not agree with what you are saying , But I agree with your right to say it!!   In radio terms, " I may not want to hear all that stuff your sending, But you do have the right to send it, I have the right to ignore or move on"!!
Sorry for my soapbox rant, just never agreed with any body deciding what is right for me to be doing or not doing.(Kinda like our elected government, making decisions that they think is the way it should be)
WA3SEE

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »

I abandoned PSK after my 100th QSO with a "Carbon Life Form".

Macros are fine - but can't anyone personalize them a little bit.

Carl
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »

When I start a QSO I send this macro, "OP Zack near Detroit MI DE N8FNR HW?" and then just type any other responses from there. However I REALLY, REALLY don't care about the CPU in your PC or the OS you are running. The rig and antenna I do still find interesting.

One thing that does drive me nuts is when the other op looks up my info in QRZ during a casual QSO and knows my all info. I do not look up his name or anything when I am in a casual QSO. It is more interesting to find out his name, location and other info during the actual QSO. If you know all about me from QRZ what is the actual point of the casual QSO?

Zack
N8FNR
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »

Macros are fine, when used properly. My macros look something like this:

CQ Macro:

CQ CQ de <MYCALL> <MYCALL>
CQ CQ de <MYCALL> <MYCALL> PSE K

Response Macro:

<HISCALL> de <MYCALL>

In other words, short and sweet. I DO NOT use monstrosities like this one I typically encounter on PSK31 QSOs:

TNX for PSK31 QSO on 21-February-2011 at 0214UTC Gardner, Jerry. UR RST 599 599.

Name: Joe Blow
Rig: Icom IC-7600
Antenna: G5RV
Software: DM780 B2055
Computer: Dell Inspiron 580, Windows 7
Interface: Rigblaster Pro
Operator: 1954 model

BTU Gardner, Jerry at 21-February-2011 at 0215UTC
W6UV de K9xxx PSE KN

AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »

If you don't like what goes on on PSK just go to another mode.

Thank You,and exactly, I've said that 100 times or more myself.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »

How much is too much macro and why,does it only seem to apply to psk31?  I've never figured that one out?
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »

What I don't understand is how you complainers can judge the circumstances of the other person through a macro. I'm hearing that you would tune off frequency and commit a QSO murder.

What if the guy on the other end is wheel chair bound. Has no use of his hands and has to blow through a straw to make a conversation. You can tell this by his macro? And your tolerance level is so low that it's too much for you. What has this world come to?

Macro's are part of every text application for amateur radio. It was happening 70 years ago on RTTY.

It's like complaining about the smell of food every time you walk through the kitchen. The smells are in the kitchen. If you can't handle it, stay out of the kitchen.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »

This is how I want a PSK31 QSO to go:

CQ CQ CQ DE N8HM N8HM N8HM PSE K

EA1AB EA1AB

EA1AB 599 EA1AB

TU 599

EA1AB TU 73 QRZ? DE N8HM K

Sadly, I guess I have to resort to RTTY for that kind of QSO.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »

EA1AB EA1AB

EA1AB 599 EA1AB

TU 599

Some folks might actually want to ragchew and might, just want a Name and QTH you figure?
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »

EA1AB EA1AB

EA1AB 599 EA1AB

TU 599

I guess it would be OK for a contest exchange but it's a little windy and imprecise.

You wasted four characters there with the PSE. And there's no point in saying your call three times. Most everyone will get it in one. Also, you used the generic 599, please get that right rather than being so lazy.

Also, PSK-31 transmits lower case characters faster than upper case, so if you made all the letters lower case it would transmit faster.

Thanks for being the perfect minimalist.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »

How much is too much macro and why,does it only seem to apply to psk31?  I've never figured that one out?

It's a matter of common sense. If you end up putting every detail of your computer setup, including version numbers, size of RAM, time of day, exact frequency, etc., in a macro, then that's too much.

Macros are intended to reduce the amount of typing needed for a routine contact, not to tell the the guy on the other end your entire life story (and the life story of your computer as well).

This doesn't just apply to PSK31, it's just that most of the more egregious slingers of macro diarrhea are PSK31 ops.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »

How much is too much macro and why,does it only seem to apply to psk31?  I've never figured that one out?

It's a matter of common sense. If you end up putting every detail of your computer setup, including version numbers, size of RAM, time of day, exact frequency, etc., in a macro, then that's too much.

Macros are intended to reduce the amount of typing needed for a routine contact, not to tell the the guy on the other end your entire life story (and the life story of your computer as well).

This doesn't just apply to PSK31, it's just that most of the more egregious slingers of macro diarrhea are PSK31 ops.

If, you ever do see me on PSK31, and I'm there regularly on one band or another.  Then by all means do work me.  If, it will ease your mind I'll work you macro free, BTW: I only have 3 fingers so bear that in mind too. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:16:03 PM by AC4BB » Logged
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »

When I first started on PSK31 many years ago, I enjoyed the mode because operators actually took the time to have a conversation with you. If I start a QSO and see it is going to be a typical canned macro conversation I simply tune off frequency and start over. Pretty soon the other operator will get the hint, I hope.

I do like to know what radio and antenna you are using, a little bit about your job, your hometown, etc. I don't care how much RAM your computer has, or the upteem member numbers of the clubs you belong to. I don't care if I am your 1 millionth PSK31 QSO. I just want to chat and learn a little about you and your part of the world.

Sounds simple doesn't it.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

Why is only PSK 31 Exclusively that people have a problem with macros?     RTTY and other digital modes were doing it long before psk modes.  I think some folks just have too much time on their hands and have nothing better to do than gripe about something like a macro?
  I could find someting to complain about in  just about everything in life even outside of radio if, I wanted to?  I'll say it again don't like Macro's find another mode that might not use them at all. GL
 Even SSB has DVR's and they're a form of macro.

I know,for the longest time some complained about SSTV operators and I guess they still do? but, they would get right next to them or even right on top of them and complain about them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:30:41 PM by AC4BB » Logged
KO3D

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »

I keep an overblown macro handy for those (usually SA dx) who insist on telling me their processor and OS. I reply with a full service pack description right down to the mouse driver.

I also don't understand the 20 minute 73, "Thank you my dear friend from the bottom of my heart, best regards to you and your family from me and the future generations of my family, bidding you the best of DX and 73s. Good luck and hope to see you again..."

When I start a QSO I send this macro, "OP Zack near Detroit MI DE N8FNR HW?" and then just type any other responses from there. However I REALLY, REALLY don't care about the CPU in your PC or the OS you are running. The rig and antenna I do still find interesting.

One thing that does drive me nuts is when the other op looks up my info in QRZ during a casual QSO and knows my all info. I do not look up his name or anything when I am in a casual QSO. It is more interesting to find out his name, location and other info during the actual QSO. If you know all about me from QRZ what is the actual point of the casual QSO?

Zack
N8FNR
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: