Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PIC Programmer  (Read 9571 times)
M0ATZ

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »

Hi guys, I have a "K150" PIC Programmer bought from eBay, previously worked find with the MicroChip software until I changed computers and had to reinstall. Now, I cant get it to recognise the PICs and having a boat load of trouble with error messages and what not.

Any good suggestions for PIC programming software for XP, free of course :-p

73 de M0ATZ
KM5Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »

The only two I've had success with are:

1. MeLabs - they have a parallel port model (old) and a few newer versions. They have their OWN Programming software, so you start the MeLabs software, load up the .HEX you built with MicroChip IDE and Flash the uC that way.

I believe they may have some more recent versions / models that integrate with the MicroChip IDE, but the one I have had good success with is the older Parallel port version. Of course my newer laptop doesn't HAVE a parallel port, so this will be time limited. They have good support and the cost of their stuff is cheap.

2. MicroChip's PicKit 2 - it's their own version, integrates with the IDE, etc.

I've built other cheap*ss versions, they rarely work and on occasion will 'brick' a perfectly good microController, so quite frankly, spending $35 to $70 for a programmer is CHEAP compared to the frustration and wasted / destroyed uC's resulting from cheap (under $20) options.

Mike Yancey
KM5Z
Dallas, TExas
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »

If the programmer uses the PC parallel port, you may need to go into the BIOS and change the port type to "standard", or SPP, whichever your BIOS calls it.  My old programmer and software gives strange results when the port is configured as an enhanced or bi-directional port.
M0ATZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:03:19 AM »

Thanks both for the reply.

The programmer I'm using is the same as what is pictured here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/PIC-USB-Microcontroller-Development-Programmer-ICSP-k150-PIC-Programmer-Programmer-PIC-K150/205892_536517358.html

It connects via USB but seen as a virtual com port. The MicroChip software to download was written in about 2004 I think, and there was an expansion pack to download as well, but that doesnt seem to influence the 16f628A PIC. I remember having similar issues when I first bought the programmer and installed the software, but cant for the life of me work out how I got it to work hi hi.

Anyway, I may consider using PIKDEV on Linux, I here that's pretty good. I'm not sure if will recognise my programmer though so probably will end up making a simple homebrew one. Such is life.

If all else fails I'll invest the $30 or so, as you say, could well be worth it overall.

Thanks all, 73
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »

PICkit 2. Works perfect. Don't bother with the knock-offs.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:30:50 PM »

I 2nd the microchip pickit 2, the best and easiest programmer I have ever used.

If you use an ICSP header on your project then you can simply connect the pickit 2 to your header and program away.

http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164121

It really is a fair price but I still want to try the new pickit 3 to see what more it offers.

KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »

I know the PICkit 3 had some major issues early on, but I don't know if they resolved them. They were bad enough that people ditched them and went back to the PICkit 2.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »

That's good to know about the pickit3 problems.

I guess if the 2 isn't broke, especially in this crappy economy, then there's no sense in replacing it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: