Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRRGGGH!! I HATE LIDS  (Read 4710 times)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »

I was cruising the beacon section of 10m today... seeing what CW beacons I could hear.. I was working on one that was almost too fast for me to copy when I was treated to blast of HORRENDUOUS noise.. I'm on 28.270... i realized after a few minutes that noise was someone tuning on on SSB right in the middle the of the beacon segment.. I check out usb.. then LSB.. tune around.. and what do I find? but 28.250... some JACK@$$ on 28.250 with an 11m noise maker and echo mike... ARRRGGGGHH

ok... the J.A has left the freq.. now I can go back to my beacons.. some people should not be allowed to breed..

*rant over*
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

Hmmm, when I need to tune up on 30 meters, and the band is full, I always tune up on the W0ERE beacon. That way I know I'm not QRM'ing anyone. Isn't that what it's holding the frequency around the clock for? To be honest I never thought I was ruining anybody's radio experience, I'll be sure to give it some serious thought though. Of course out of band voice transmission is just wrong.
    73 de Tom, ab9nz
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »

someone was very clearly trying to operate '11m' smack in the middle of 10m where it shouldn't have been.  the audio was so badly distorted (over modulated?)I couldn't copy any of it.. but I could clearly hear the roger beeps and sound FX that are very common on channel 19..  and up to this point, have never heard on ham bands!

in fact, I shouldn't say 'trying to operate'. .they WERE operating on.. there may have been several operators .. and they were talking in english, so I don't think it's any of that strange CB stuff I hear from mexico sometimes up on 11m.

i'm not very experienced with HF.. so I may be wrong in this.. but it seems to me tuning up on a beacon isn't a good idea.. especially if someone is trying to hear that beacon.. but I suppose if you keep it as short as possible..
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »

Was it not frequency modulation?

Bob
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »

it seems to me tuning up on a beacon isn't a good idea.. especially if someone is trying to hear that beacon.. but I suppose if you keep it as short as possible..
I don't think any body is trying to steer their airplane by this unmanned beacon. Undecided 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »

i'm not very experienced with HF.. so I may be wrong in this.. but it seems to me tuning up on a beacon isn't a good idea.. especially if someone is trying to hear that beacon.. but I suppose if you keep it as short as possible..

CBer's operating "freeband" illegally do all sorts of stuff.  Unless you go personally track them down and take their equipment away, there is very little anyone can do and the FCC doesn't care a bit unless they're doing something to endanger vital communications such as public service or military stuff.

Beacons in the amateur bands normally operate unattended 24/7 and if someone tunes up on top of one it would impact just about nobody.  The FCC wouldn't care about that, either. Wink
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:03:31 PM »

I've noticed hams tuning for a seemingly longer than necessary time right on top of a DX pile up -- there was even a ham transmitting data right on top of the Swain's LSB signal on 7082 on the 12th. 

Then you've got the splatter masters. I don't get why some hams think they need to sound like CB to be heard on the ham bands.  All that overmodulation.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 01:41:47 AM »

Measurements in 500 houses EMI  within 300 feet from 27 MHz tx, dependent of power and modulation method
in TV,  BCradios audio amplifiers etc
Code:
5 watt    5 watt    0,5 watt   0,5 watt
AM          FM           AM          FM
34%        6%           21%        2%
In this country is chosen for 0,5 W FM CB.

It is not sure that the QRM is in the 10 m band, may be an image frequentie or other mixing product in your receiver or a spurious of the transmitter.
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »

You'd better get used to it. As the FCC slowly keeps washing its hands of our service things will go from bad to total chaos. Its only a matter of time before testing for an amateur license goes away to cut costs and amateur radio becomes multiband CB. Its already happening. And having one lawyer who isn't even a ham to police the entire spectrum is a joke! The FCC has become all but useless. This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum. Bring back a REAL FCC with actual enforcement and you would see a lot of this crap go away. Unfortunately, our elected officials seem to believe that the FCC and radio in general is unimportant so this is what we have.
KB9HV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:53:53 PM »

I agree with PA0BLAH.  It was either a strong image from your 2nd I.F., or a spur from a crappy transmitter with BFO leakage.  28.250 - (2*455) falls in the 11 meter band.

If you heard multiple transmitters it was probably image reception.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 07:15:44 AM »

Unless he has a really old poor receiver, an image is virtually impossible.

Almost everything beyond 1970 was a dual conversion receiver with a high IF frequency. Even in the 1960's, the SX101 and others used ~1700 kHz as a first IF. The image of that old stuff is 3.4 MHz away.

With broadband front ends, they had to move first IF's up to 5 MHz and higher.   This places the image 10 MHz away.

Rigs like Yaesu and others now use 40 MHz or similar for 1st IF, which places the image around 80 MHz away.  The low 455 IF's, while still used, always follow multiple narrow filters making any 910 kHz  image virtually immeasurable, because the image is filtered by multiple stages of crystal filters. The normal scheme is a low VHF first IF, 8 MHz second IF, and 455 third.

Highly unlikely the 455 factors into anything, unless the receiver is very old or a very cheap receiver with a oscillator tracking RF stage. That 455 image stuff pretty much went away in the 70's.

CB'ers on ten meters, however, are quite common. The truck stop on I-75 just north of me openly sells illegal 50-watt ten meter AM-FM radios to truckers. They are right out on the counter in plain sight. I can tune ten meters almost any time of the day and find truckers on ten meters, and the signals are NOT images. They are intentional, mostly AM, but sometimes FM.

73 Tom
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:21:49 AM by W8JI » Logged
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:02 AM »

I would be willing to bet that it was not an image. It was a group of "freebanders". It happens regulary. It really happens all the time but it is hard to notice when 10 is not open. The FCC does not and can not catch the stuff. If 14.313 hasnt been clean how can we expect anything else to be done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: