Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about the Koch method  (Read 2885 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:48:37 PM »

I am taking on a daunting task. I am not only studying for my extra test but also learning Morse at the same time. I have found the Koch method to be quite good and I am learning faster than I ever thought I would or did using other programs. I have a few questions;
Is there a way to type in on the keyboard as it sends code and have it score you?
I find it kind of arbitrary though when I add a new letter to the ones I have learned already. I guess I have to look at the letters that are sent as they come on the screen and then not look at the screen and copy down the code sent.
Like I said, the Koch method is the best but i wish there was a better way.
If I could rewrite the software, I would have it announce in a voice the new letters for a few times and then stop talking. Also, I would have it so that you could type in what you heard and it would give you a mild shock if you got it wrong with increasingly stronger voltages. But of course that's just me. Or maybe just a sound if you got a letter wrong.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »

To clarify, I was talking about the Koch method CW trainer by G4FON. But I just found the KochRX program which is very good.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »

Just Learn Morse Code has several features that let you cope with what you're describing here.

LB3KB Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »

Jut learn morse is a stripped down version of G4FON which I really like but I would like to create a program to teach morse code but I don't know computer code either. The program would be very simple to the Typing With Mavis Beacon. It is a computer typing course that helped me get to about 50 words a minute in about a month.
I wouldn't even know what language to write it in.
The program would take this learning route:
1 letters
2 numbers
3 symbols
4 special symbols
5 letter combinations
6 number combinations
7 call signs
8 words
9 sentences

The program would be limited to 1 hour a day. It would be broken up into 4, 15 minute segments and would force the student to take a break for 5 minutes between each segment. The one hour periods would be called a learning block and once a student maintained a 90% for three learning blocks in a row he/she would be advanced to the next level. The student could always go back a level and refresh. When starting a new learning day, the program would give a 5 minute warm up drill to refresh the student's memory.
At different points in the learning block, the program would go present a little game like drop down where the student would see letters scroll down the screen and would have to key in the code on a keyer or on the l/r arrow keys to kill the letter. The student would have three chances to get a letter right. If the student got a letter wrong three times the game would end and it would be back to class. The score in the game would or wouldn't count against the students score dependent on the options set. Also, at different points in the learning, the computer would send the student a message in code and the student would have to copy the message and send a reply back. (this would be more in the advanced stages of the program). The games would be 5 minutes long.
This is approximately the same method I used to learn to type and it really helped me allot.

LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »

>Jut learn morse is a stripped down version of G4FON

Whatever you say, little prince.  Sweet dreams !

LB3KB Sigurd
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »

I've nevered used G4FON but you must be missing something because the changes log shows that automatic score checking was added in 2002.  

"29 June 2002 - added David Gwillim's software for checking your score."

Why do you say that JLMC is stripped down?

Marc
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »

The character set on just learn morse looks more extensive but I kind of like the audio fx in G4FON. Also, there is a program call Koch V9 RX that will allow you to type in the code you hear from G4FON and it will grade you. I haven't played with JLMC too much yet so I don't know if it has that. I will probably use both.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »

No offense Sigurd, but I like some of the options that your program doesn't have. Don't get me wrong, it is a great piece of software.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »

Like I said, Just Learn Morse Code has several features that let you cope with what you were describing as your problems here.

If you're not interested in solutions to the problems you claim to have, why do you write about them in the first place ?
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:17:36 AM »

I have been playing more with JLMC and I realize that it is a pretty good program. I still like the real life sound options in the other program like setting the S levels and adding QRM. If it is there, someone let me know. Until then, I guess I will learn on JLMC and then practice on G4FON.
I would still like to know what language these programs are written in.
VK3GDM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »

>Just learn morse is a stripped down version of G4FON.

I think it is the other way round.

G4FON only teaches you characters using Koch method.

If you want to move on from there you need practice listening to words and sentances. Just Learn Morse Code can do this and more. Command words, Qcodes and etc.

You can create your own text (eg QSOs) and save as an audio file for later play back. I find this an invaluable tool.
I often record text from this forum and play it back in morse code from my iPod on the way to work.

I don't see the importance of those so called on air simulation features. JUST TURN YOUR RADIO ON!

Regards,
David

KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:50 AM »

Yeah, now that I really look at both, I like JLMC better. Sorry about the "stripped down" comment". I know I can just turn on the radio but I have done that and most of the stations are WAY above my level in speed and while I know that I will get there eventually, it all just sounds like one long DAH. I still wish JLMC had the sound effects. Kind of gives a real life feel. Maybe on a future release.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 09:24:33 AM »

If most of the stations are WAY above the speed you're able to copy, you should either 1) listen to the rest of the stations, the ones that aren't transmitting too fast for you or 2) work on improving your speed.

There are MANY features with actual value that will appear in Just Learn Morse Code a long time before I waste any time on reducing the sound quality...

LB3KB Sigurd
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 10:11:06 AM »

Maybe you could find a way to inject some of your ego into the program. That might make it better. I use a program like yours and it helps me learn. Then I go on the air and it is a totally different world. Doctors learn how to do procedures and they think they are king of the hill. Many wash out when they hit the morgue or actually see blood for the first time. When they get to the point in their internship where they have to actually go into a person, some freeze and some quit.
When I was in the army stationed in Germany, I learned German. Class was a breeze but when I got out into the real world it was a totally different matter. There was slang, other people were talking at the same time and I found that a sterile learning environment is one thing but you really need practical use to perfect anything.
Is it so hard for you to admit that maybe adding a button that simulates a real radio experience might just be a good thing for some learners?
I don't mean to flame you but I have run into arrogance like yours when dealing with code jockeys all over the internet. You just can't talk to them with out their ego smacking you right in the face.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »

Whatever you say, little prince.  Sweet dreams !
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: