Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keying a TS-529  (Read 2282 times)
W4UTI

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »

I am about to buy a TS-520. Currently, I'm keying an Omni V. I have both a LogiKey K-5 and a K1EL K-12. The LogiKey says it will take 30v positive and the K1EL book says it will take 60V positive. But the Logikey book says to use a "tube-final" rig I must change the internal jumpers. Very inconvenient when switching rigs. So I want to use the K-12 to key the TS-520. I have looked all through the manuals on the TS-520 and I can't find the keying voltage. If necessary, I can build up and install a reed-relay to work with the K-12. Can anyone help me please. If so, please e-mail me at W4UTI@arrl.net.

Thanks, and 73
Karl - W4UTI
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »

Hmm 520  529 .

You can find the operators manual on the web.
http://www.kg6haf.com/downloads/520_Manual.pdf

There you can find in the schematic of the rectifier that C is minus 100 V (or 140 that is nor clear)
That voltage goes thru 100K on the RF board to the key. The key switches it via 200 ohm to grd and opens on the audio board the side tone oscillator by omitting the negative on the base of the transistor and conducting a diode in the 3 RC circuits that make the 180 required degrees for audio oscillation..

Nice we have licence requirements, isn't it? So we can find out what the open voltage and short circuit current is on our key contacts.

Bob
W4UTI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »

Thank you Bob, for trying to help me. I'm 83 and my eyes aren't what they used to be and now I have cataracs in both. (Surgery scheduled for next month.) The net is that I just plain can't read (follow) schematics now. Maybe someday. As an example, I mis-typed the heading for this and wrote "TS-529" instead of "TS-520". Somedays all the keys look the same, but my ears are sharp for copying CW.

You mentioned license requirements. . .Yes, I got my General long before there was a Novice. And we had to actually DRAW schematics. We also had to send CW on a handkey for the exam, and not just copy it. But those days are long gone. Now we have a lot of hams, but so many of the younger ones, and many of the older ones, are 2-meter hams and don't even own an HF radio and don't intend to.

I'm trying several other spots and perhaps I can get an answer that will help me.

Thanks again, and 73

Karl - W4UTI
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:47 AM »

We are of the same construction year. I refuse cataract senilis surgery.

The link I gave you, is a pdf file containing all the schematics  and you can enlarge it easily in the top of the screen pushing the + sign.

You don't have to search any further because you are on the right address here to help you out.
I estimate the TS520 will have open voltage 70 to 100 V NEGATIVE and the key current in close key will be about 1 mA.

So you can choose with the K12, do you want to use a small DIL relay in a TTL 14 pin DIL package, or do you want to use a PNP transistor, that can handle -150 V on the collector. My advice is to use a small dil relay with a driver transistor in order to prevent the keying voltage to demolish your K12 in case of some wiring error or transistor break down. or etc. Above that: with a relay you can use the key on any appliance you have available,

Perhaps you build the K12 key yourself or do you have a schematic? Or give me a link?
And what about actually measuring the open key voltage when you get the set available? Just to be sure.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:59:13 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:48:19 AM »

DIL relays however are not available with 3V coil, and the K12 is 3V supply. When you dont have at least 5 V available, you can chose for a photo mos switch. primary it is a LED secondary (transmitter side) a MOS tr. Example: Panasonic  AQV103 in a DIL 6 pen housing,  LED takes primary 2,3 mA, secundary open voltage 200 V DC, you can chose which pin is ground, hence it can be wired for + and minus(your case) keying. Max keying current 300 mA, on resistance 2.7 ohm.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/Q/V/1/AQV103.shtml

Bob
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:54:28 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »

Hi Karl,  on that k-5 keyer, it's not too hard to replace the jumper with an external toggle switch.  As I recall, the manual for my CMOS-4 keyer even detailed how to do it.  Makes it a lot simpler to swap between positive and negative keyed rigs.

I've got a similar station.  I switch between a TS-820 and an Omni-6 all the time.  In my case, I built a switch box and tossed a reed relay in it to isolate the keyer from the big voltage in the 820.

Good luck and 73

Mike AA4N
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:57:03 AM »

Karl:  I also have a slide switch on my CMOS-4 keyer so that I can use it both pos & neg rigs.  Idiom Press explains how to do this.  Very simple mod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: