Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SARK 110 Antenna analyzer with color screen .1-200 Mhz $330  (Read 13556 times)
KD0RMM

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »

I wonder how well this product will work?
Has anybody seen this yet?

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preorder-sark110-antenna-analyzer-p-1270.html?cPath=174

Frequency range: 0.1 to 200 MHz with 1 Hz resolution
Measured parameters: VSWR, |Z|, impedance angle, reflection coefficient, series and parallel resistance, series and parallel reactance, return loss, phase, % reflection power, quality factor, equivalent capacitance, equivalent inductance
Sweep mode (antenna test): graphical plot of two user selected parameters; adjustable center frequency and frequency span; presets for radio amateur bands; display detailed parameters for center frequency or any of the two marker positions; three available scale options; save to disk and recall functions
Smith chart mode: plots complex reflection coefficient; adjustable center frequency and frequency span; presets for radio amateur bands; display detailed parameters for center frequency or any of the two marker positions; save to disk and recall functions
Single frequency mode: display all parameters for a single frequency; presets for radio amateur bands; graphical representation of series and parallel impedance equivalent; usable as a precise RF signal generator with 1 Hz resolution
Cable test mode: measurement for 25, 50, 75 and 100 ohm systems; max. distance: about 250 m; velocity factors presets for popular coaxial cables
Automatic tracking modes: peak min, peak max, absolute min, absolute max, value cross any, value cross up, value cross down
Adjustable reference impedance: 25, 50, 75, and 100-ohm
OSL Calibration: automated open Open/Short/Load calibration; 256 calibration points
Frequency calibration
Display: 3” TFT LCD with 400 x 240 resolution
Power: Lithium-Polymer battery rechargeable from USB; battery charge status indicator; automatic power-off mode
RF output: connector type MCX, output power -10dBm (50-ohm load)
Storage: internal 2MB USB compatible disk
USB: Mini-B receptacle; mass storage class
Processor: 72 MHz STM32 MCU, 256 KB Flash, 48KB SRAM
Measurement architecture: single conversion superheterodine; two independent and synchronized measurement channels with 12-bit analog-to-digital converters for simultaneous voltage and current measurement
Dimensions: 98 * 60 * 14.5 (mm)
Weight: 300g
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »

Ouch 330 dollars,

The MFJ's are pricey, the AEA's are pricey, the Autex is overpriced, even the little You kits analyzer is pricey they are all overpriced.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I sure wish a Chinese Co. would come out with a good antenna analyzer with smith chart display and all the other features that the others on the market have.

I'd figure it would cost them around 20 dollars in parts and it would sell for around 50 to 75 dollars, if they can make a 50 dollar dual band Ht then an antenna analyzer shouldn't be to hard to manufacturer for a similar price.

Again I can't believe I am even suggesting this, but this crappy economy is really turning me into a cheap skate.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »

I'd like to see the specification for the range of impedances over which it works accurately.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »

The MFJ's are pricey, the AEA's are pricey, the Autex is overpriced, even the little You kits analyzer is pricey they are all overpriced.
 I can't believe I'm saying this but I sure wish a Chinese Co. would come out with a good antenna analyzer with smith chart display and all the other features that the others on the market have.

I can't believe you're saying that either!
You forgot the Anritsu SiteMaster at a little over $8000; may as well include them all to justify that shiny new chinese import toy.  Heck yea, why not send more of our dwindling resources to china; after all, hams gotta have their toys!  What I'm wondering, though, is where are all those hams gonna be when the bills come due; and they will, don't you worry!  Maybe all those hams will offer to sell all their toys to help pay the bills???
Tom
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »

Well, looking around for other items offered at this site, one can't go wrong with the ...

NOSE LED Kit!
This nose LED is definitely a bold way to show your geek attitude! Imagine your nostril glows every time you exhale. Weird but fun? Then buy one to surprise your friends!

LINK: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/nose-led-kit-p-1274.html?cPath=202

And offered at only $7.50!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:26:50 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »

This looks like a great product.  I think the complaint about the price is out of touch with reality because I view the various analyzers marketed to hams (MFJ, Autek, Palstar, etc.) as cheap measurement gear.  The user interface and color graphics alone put it ahead of these similar priced analyzers.

The original link posted brings you to the catalog link, but if you do some exploring you can find a dedicated site for the product with an impressive amount of info:
http://sark110.ea4frb.eu/home

If you follow the Test Results link it shows a comparison between the SARK-110 and many other analyzers measuring an impedance standard.

The analyzer was designed by a ham, EA4FRB.

If it holds up to the specs on the site I think it will be a hit.  I just wonder if they will be able to maintain the inventory.

BTW, this looks like an interesting store with many unique goodies.  Thanks for sharing
W6AKB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »

The SARK 110's have started shipping. I received one a few days ago. I have not done much with it yet, but it seems to be a good unit.

The folks who complain that these instruments are too expensive should go through a product design, development, production and support cycle. These are complicated products made in relatively small quantity that use a lot of parts many of which are quite costly. Even in quantity the parts cost is far higher than $20.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »

I bought a Rig Expert AA-230 Pro several years ago after my 15 year old MFJ 259B died.  best $600 I ever spent!

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N4FBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »

I recently bought a SARK 110 and first impressions are very good. The device is very easy to use and I found that I really didn't need the manual to start using it. The screen is full color although it is small and you'll probably need reading glasses to see it. The Smith Chart function is gorgeous! The heavy duty aluminum case is a nice touch; it is slippery so a wrist strap would be a good idea. I'd also recommend a field case for the unit to help protect it when you take it outside. The internal battery is charged via the USB port and an allen wrench is included so that you can open up the case.

In going through all the features of the SARK-110, it appears to be the Swiss Army knife of antenna analyzers for the ham radio market. The analyzer does include calibration routines. For everything that the analyzer does, the price of $330 is a bargain.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 04:43:17 AM »

I bought a Rig Expert AA-230 Pro several years ago after my 15 year old MFJ 259B died.  best $600 I ever spent!

The really nice analyzers start at this price. Some analyze over a spread of frequencies and show the characteristics of the antenna in a Smith chart format.
Ant Analyzers seem to be a big thing this past year.
fred
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »

I also have the RigExpert 200A- until the SARK came out this was the best instrument going. However, there is so much jitter in the R/X page as to make the instrument of less use than it could be. RigExpert says there are many issues involved with the jitter- not just the A/D bits- so not seeing a solution to it.

Dale W4OP
M0HEX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »

I have just taken delivery of one of these units. I am quite simply amazed at the build quality. MFJ have a lot to learn from products like this. I have used it to characterise some of my antennas and am very happy with its performance. I have no way of verifying its accuracy, but I guess I'll have to take designer's word for it - he has tabulated a whole load of comparative results with other analysers on his website. I've been waiting for this analyser to be available for more than a year now. In the meantime I have been using a Rig Expert AA-54 which was the best of what was available in my mind, the Youkits FG-01 user interface is too BMW iDrive for my liking Smiley. The AA-54 has a nice user interface, but the display is a little limited in size, is monochrome and slow in operation. Still, until the SARK-110 came along, it was the best of the bunch in my humble opinion.

As other users have commented, the display may be a little small for some, but I love the detail that's contained in it. I mentioned to the designer that I thought some people may have issues with the small size of the display and he said that he'd think about introducing a 'field mode' which would provide some larger user interface elements, better suited to a quick glance when you have your hands with counterpoises or adjustable antenna elements.

In summary, this project seems to be a clever re-use of an existing product package (Nano DSO) for a new use, which brings some top notch analyser action to a great little package with a beautiful display and intuitive user interface. Well done, I say.
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »

Can someone who now has the SARK comment on the RF input? On-site photos show a short pigtail with a female type N (from memory). How does the pigtail attach to the SARK- I hope it's SMA or??
Tnx,

Dale W4OP
N4FBW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

Can someone who now has the SARK comment on the RF input? On-site photos show a short pigtail with a female type N (from memory). How does the pigtail attach to the SARK- I hope it's SMA or??
Tnx,

Dale W4OP

The test port end of the SARK-110 pigtail is an MCX connector. It snaps into the test port on the analyzer.  The other end of the pigtail is a BNC Female connector.

Rick, N4FBW
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »

Perhaps this  was mentioned on the SARK website and I missed it. Does the SARK allow the user to move the reference plane to the end of a piece of coax?

Dale W4OP
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: