Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7000  (Read 756 times)
AB9DF

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »

I have a Yeasu 897d and was looking into a Icom 7000.  Does the Icom have a memory keyer?  Overall, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the ICOM 7000 compared to the Yeasu 897d for Base/Mobile and CW?  I love the 897d but I am disappointed that there is no memory keyer in it and no monitoring for the headphones. (thus hard to hear what you are saying)  

Just looking for some thoughts from those that may be aware of both

Thanks!
Rob AB9DF
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »

Where'd you hear the FT-897D doesn't have a built-in keyer or sidetone in the headphones?

It has both.  The internal (standard, built-in) electronic keyer is adjustable over a range of 4 to 57 wpm, and the sidetone frequency is also adjustable and preset to 700 Hz.

Now, the IC-7000 is a more capable rig in many ways, but not because of these two features.

WB2WIK/6
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »

Oops, I just re-read what you wrote and maybe you're discussing a modulation monitor and not CW sidetone.

True, the FT-897D does not have a modulation monitor function; however that's normally *not* used to "hear what you are saying" -- it's normally used only briefly and occasionally to monitor how your audio sounds (quality, tonality, background noise, etc) after making a mike change or a gain adjustment.  Almost everybody would then shut it off and leave it off until another adjustment is made.

WB2WIK/6
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »

Steve,
I think he's talking about the ability to store character strings in memory for repetative sending (contests maybe) and the monitor function I believe he is speaking of is audio perhaps.  Just guessing here.

ray
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »

If you need a memory keyer, there are outboard
memory keyers available from Idiom Press:

http://www.idiompress.com/keyers.html

Also, an inexpensive kit keyer (with memories)
is available from Norcal:

http://www.norcalqrp.org/nckeyer.htm

Scott
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:58:29 AM »

Get the Winkeyer USB www.k1el.com
It's the best memory keyer, works with all logging programs, only limited by your computer's storage. The standalone keyer can be programmed with the computer. At under a hundred bucks, this thing is the way to go.
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »

Hi Rob-

The FT-897D has a memory keyer built in.  It has three memories.

One really nice thing about the 897D is that it can use internal batteries.

Tom AE5I
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »

The IC-7000 has a 4-bank memory keyer built in which is very nice.  I have an IC-706MKIIG that I use for portable operation, and I seriously considered replacing it with a IC-7000.  What actually stopped me was the CW speed-setting procedure for the IC-7000.  As an almost 100% CW operator, I wind up adjusting speed quite a bit as I adjust to the speed of whoever I'm in QSO with.  On the IC-706MKIIG, you press twice on the same key to get in and out of the speed setting menu.  On the IC-7000, you have to press four times on three differnt keys to get in and out of the speed setting menu.  This may not seem to be a big deal to some, but I found it to be tedious.

Phil - AD5X
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »

>RE: Icom 7000  Reply  
by AD5X on May 12, 2008  Mail this to a friend!  
The IC-7000 has a 4-bank memory keyer built in which is very nice. I have an IC-706MKIIG that I use for portable operation, and I seriously considered replacing it with a IC-7000. What actually stopped me was the CW speed-setting procedure for the IC-7000. As an almost 100% CW operator, I wind up adjusting speed quite a bit as I adjust to the speed of whoever I'm in QSO with. On the IC-706MKIIG, you press twice on the same key to get in and out of the speed setting menu. On the IC-7000, you have to press four times on three differnt keys to get in and out of the speed setting menu. This may not seem to be a big deal to some, but I found it to be tedious.<

::That would drive me nucking futs!  Keyer Speed should be an always-active front panel control.

WB2WIK/6
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:39 AM »

The Winkeyer USB has both a speed control knob on the front and speed in WPM adjustable from your favorite logging program. You pick which way you want it to be adjusted. If you select the knob, the WPM speed on the logging program changes as you turn the knob. If you select the logging program to adjust the speed, the knob doesn't turn as you change the speed. The part that's really nice is, your paddles and computer both send at the same speed so it's very easy to switch back and forth mid-qso.
W4SON

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »

Phil -

I have both IC-706MKiiG & IC 7K mounted in my van. I only work Mobile CW, & I find the IC 7K speed control easier than the 706 - after getting used to it. I push 'VOL', then 'Quick Set' - and I'm in Speed Control.

I leave the sub-menu Power, Speed, etc.  on 'Speed', so 2 buttons = Speed control. One nice feature in the 7K is that I can stay in 'Speed Control' menu while sending in a  QSO. As a friend said, "When the other guy says 'QRM QRN - NOT SOLID' it's amazing how much better his copy is after QRS ~5 WPM". I can increment speed slowly to see where his "savvy" speed really is - often 5-10 WPM below his sending speed]

Sure, a front panel Speed pot would be nice, but the FULL QSK on the 7K up to 80 WPM, + excellent NB makes it a nice Mobile CW rig. [The 'Full BK' on the 706 is choppy, and should never be used. 706 NB is mostly ineffective.]

Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: