Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Damage to tower & antenna  (Read 1473 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »

I received severe damage to my tower/quad antenna back when Hurricane Ike hit the Texas Gulf Coast a few years. I tried to get the insurance company to file a claim but they said the tower and antenna were not considered part of the house. My two yard fences that were blown down were covered by insurance, though. I have since put up some wire antennas on my city lot, and have worked a few good ones like Yemen and Jan Mayen, but really do miss that quad antenna, especially for "hearing" stations. Since I was unable to get coverage by insurance, I have never quite been financially able to rebuild everything. What I would like to know for the future, being in a hurricane prone area, is there a way to get coverage for ham radio towers, antennas and structures that could be damaged in a storm? Thanks. Marty, AG5T
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »

Just read the policy and ask them in writing. State Farm has always covered my antennas and Ham equipment.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:31:19 AM »

If you don't want to change companies or if State Farm does not write homeowner's policies in your state, ask for a "rider" to be added to cover your equipment. Most companies will offer this, if you ask, but usually you have to ask. Strangely, if you rent, most renters policies would have covered the loss. Wink

Note to hams that erect roof towers: This is a perfect example of an insurance company dodging a pay-off. Think of the multiple excuses they will come up with if you have roof damage and or interior damage from a wind storm that is related to your roof tower. If the roof comes off usually the whole house is a loss. They may deny payment for the entire house and you would still be liable for the mortgage. Shocked 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »

If you don't want to change companies or if State Farm does not write homeowner's policies in your state, ask for a "rider" to be added to cover your equipment. Most companies will offer this, if you ask, but usually you have to ask. Strangely, if you rent, most renters policies would have covered the loss. Wink

Note to hams that erect roof towers: This is a perfect example of an insurance company dodging a pay-off. Think of the multiple excuses they will come up with if you have roof damage and or interior damage from a wind storm that is related to your roof tower. If the roof comes off usually the whole house is a loss. They may deny payment for the entire house and you would still be liable for the mortgage. Shocked 

My State Farm homeowner policy covers towers and antennas, although without a rider for "replacement cost," they can depreciate the items covered.  A tower that was $5000 new might only be covered for half that some years later, per a depreciation schedule.  But for a small cost, a "full replacement value" rider is available.
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »

Does your policy cover accessory structures like storage buildings? My tower is covered in my policy as an accessory structure. Granted my policy is not with State Farm but you may check your policy if it contains this wording and definition.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:01:11 AM »

I ran across a similar situation from lightning damage to my transceiver. "Pay $1000 deductible and we'll start the process". Similar used transceiver is $750 online. Not made anymore. Step up to newer model was $2000. So I ate the $750 and bought a used radio.
It might be a good idea, as I will look into the possibility myself, to get ARRL insurance for Ham gear and towers/antennas.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: