Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting Hamstick on 2011 Silverado  (Read 2970 times)
KU8K

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »

Here is my dilemma.  I have a 2011 Silverado, with a bed cover and I can't drill any holes.  I'm going on a trip in a few months and would like to have some HF abilities.  I'm going to use a Hamstick type antenna.  From what I can figure the best place to mount this is on the back bumper or between cab and bed.  Between the cab and bed would be preferred.  Any thoughts on these mounting possibilities? 

Bill
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:10:58 AM »

I had a box-shaped car for 6 years and the best place I had for an HF antenna was on the rear bumper.  I had a mount bolted to a "towing eye" that I screwed into the metal bumper under the plastic one.   It may not have been the best place for an antenna, but it certainly worked, and it was really the only place I had for an antenna, since I park in a low garage at work, and anything at roof level would have been limited to about 3 feet in length.

That car has been gone for a month, but there are a few photos on the web, one of which shows the mounting point.  (They're higher res than on your web browser; you can zoom in on them for details.)  See my QRZ page then the "mobile" link if you want to see the photos.

Good luck! 
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »

What you really mean is, you won't drill any holes. Fine. Then, how about a an angle bracket located in the hood seam?

Should work just fine, as hamsticks are both light in weight, and low in wind drag.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »

How about this?  It's made to work with a bed cover, shell, camper, topper, or whatever they're called in your neck of the woods.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/breedlove1/page12.html
KU8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »

Thanks for the information guys.  That stake pocket mount looks like it would work perfect, yet a little pricey.  My truck is a lease so can't or won't ... it's just not an option for this truck.  Next truck won't be a lease, so I'll have more options then.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:38 AM »

Firestick has been making a truck stake hole mount for years and it is only $28.99. I have seen hams using them for hamsticks and most are satisfied with it. To me, it would be a compromise mount, but if you have no other options I would go for it. It is definitely better than a magnetic mount and you can use extensions to get the antenna well above the cab if you are not going to mount it on the rear. I would go for the rear to get it away from the cab. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: