Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-80B on Loaded 120v Circuit  (Read 4821 times)
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

I wonder what happened.....

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »

I run my AL-80A on 120 V but it is on a circuit that has nothing else on it other than a couple of lights, which are never on when I am using the amp.

Sure I see some voltage drop on the amp's meter. But I also get very close to the output rating of the amp if I drive it to that point.

I am remodeling my shack this winter and will likely install a 220 line into the shack.

KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »

I wonder what happened.....

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk

RF was definitely affecting my digital multimeter, causing the erroneous reading of 70v ac. I should've suspected this was the case, especially considering that my meter is a cheap Home Depot special, but for some reason it just didn't occur to me.

As I've mentioned before, this is a very temporary situation until I get the 240v line run.

Thanks for all the great feedback,
Mike
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

Mike I've seen RF mess up $500 Fluke DMMs, so the fact that a Home Depot cheapie reacts similarly is no shock.  That's why I use Simpson, Triplett and a few other varieties of regular, old-technology analog VOMs whenever a significant RF field is in the area where I'm trying to measure.  They're dang near bulletproof in these applications.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »

I haven't used a DVM yet that didn't go mad with RF around, one of them with even as little as 2 watts!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: