Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club meetings via Skype / H.323 video conferencing  (Read 12466 times)
W2RWJ

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Quick opinion question:  Without getting bogged down in the procedural & Roberts Rules issues, has or does your club support members attending meetings via video conference?

If so, how does it work for your club?

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »

Our club does not do this and never will. The whole Idea of the once a month meeting is to get folks together that other wise never see each other. what good is having a meeting with no one in person? we do that all the time when we talk on the radio! I for one cant see totally taking the eye to eye meeting out of ham radio...geeze everyone is so disconnected from the real world now!!

Dan/NØFPE
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »

Our club does not do this and never will. The whole Idea of the once a month meeting is to get folks together that other wise never see each other. what good is having a meeting with no one in person? we do that all the time when we talk on the radio! I for one cant see totally taking the eye to eye meeting out of ham radio...geeze everyone is so disconnected from the real world now!!

Dan/NØFPE

If someone is out of town for the club meeting, they might not always be in a place to talk on the radio with club members. If I'm stuck in a hotel room on a meeting night halfway across the country, I'd rather teleconference in than miss the meeting entirely.

But only as the exception to the rule - otherwise you're right, it'd be defeating the point of belonging to a local club.
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »

Hi Martin,

We have a smaller local club, and we have used Skype to allow our members to join the meeting.  I found it to work very well, and it allowed work schedules to not interfere with still being able to attend the meeting.  I have used my laptop to facilitate fellow members calling in, and I have also used Skype to call into the meeting when I wasn't able to attend the meeting.  The audio was sufficient for all the members to hear each other.  There has been no disdain from the members, and I think its a fine piece of technology that allows us to stay in touch and communicate.  Nothing wrong with that!

Good luck.

Wane - KB7FSC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: