Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deal time fat fingers?  (Read 12896 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2012, 06:48:10 AM »

When posting and editing a post, sometimes the page changes to deal time or something else. I have a feeling this is because when I type, I accidentally hit a key when the cursor has moved someplace else.

I never have this problem when initially typing, I only have it when editing something I am typing as I re-read what I typed.

Sometimes I lose the whole post and just give up.

How does a page change to something like "deal time", or whatever it is?? No other web sites do that. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »

Watch where the cursor is when you type--if it's on the ad block for deal time or any other ad block and you accidentally hit the enter key or a function key, you can get shunted over to that ad site.

The keyboard manufacturers have made keyboards for people who can't see the keys that well, but they still haven't made a keyboard for people who have "fat" fingers!
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:24:01 AM »

Tom,

Are you using a laptop with a touchpad? They are notorious for a wayward thumb moving one around on a screen accidentally. 

Also, have you begun typing before the page has fully loaded (I realize that might be hard to determine)?  I can see that your "experience" might be somewhat site-related in that the timing of how various things open up on a page might differ significantly.

Mike N2MG
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »

Tom,

Are you using a laptop with a touchpad? They are notorious for a wayward thumb moving one around on a screen accidentally. 

Also, have you begun typing before the page has fully loaded (I realize that might be hard to determine)?  I can see that your "experience" might be somewhat site-related in that the timing of how various things open up on a page might differ significantly.

Mike N2MG

I think I figured it out. Some of my keyboard keys do something unexpected while posting. When I hit tab, for example, it takes the cursor out of the post reply window, so I cannot insert a tab when posting.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

Interesting - TAB also does that to me (it takes the cursor from edit window to button to button, etc.)  That might be a setting in the forums...

Mike N2MG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:07:30 AM »

No Mike, I doubt that it's a setting in the forums.  I'm going to venture that it's the OS/browser of Tom's computer itself since at least one OS provides exactly the same thing for navigation without using a mouse--or if the mouse for some reason stops working.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:09:51 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »

What purpose would TAB serve in a posting anyway? 

The normal function of tab on a web site - any web site - is to move you from one part of the screen to another.  In box-text, "tab" has no real meaning - there are no standards for columns and headings.  So, tab has always meant "move me from this functional part of the page to the next one".

- k
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »

Yes tab is used by browsers to move between fields.  There are some keys that the browser pretty much owns. 

George
K5TR
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:21:30 AM »

A lot of graphic interfaces (Windows, office software) use the tab key to move between different parts of the screen or interface.  This can be VERY handy if you have a broken mouse and need to shut down!   In a lot of systems, Alt-TAB moves you *backwards* from the current focus to the previous one in the order--also handy to know!

(I'm so old I remember having to redirect screen output to a line printer when the monitor was broken, to tell what the system was doing.)   Wink
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 04:45:41 AM »

In olden days (geez...) TAB was the key on the typewriter that moved the carriage over a set number of spaces, and that is the way it still is--in most word processing programs.  That is about the ONLY type program that will repurpose the TAB key (to it's original purpose) on a computer keyboard now.

The posting part of these websites are word processors of a type, but not full function word processors, and as such, the TAB key will not serve it's original intended purpose--just as another key (the 'SYS REQ' key) will not do what it was originally intended to do on modern computers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: