Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-2000 CW sounds and 'looks' terrible...  (Read 1400 times)
NR0U

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »

Long story short...trying to help my elmer with digital.  FT-2000 and HRD(DM780). He can decode PSK, although looking at his waterfall, signals are not as clear and concise as my station(FT-450 and HRD).  He cannot decode RTTY or CW.  So I go over there and start poking around.  I confirm PSK decodes OK and decide to look at some CW signals just to investigate a bit...

The CW signals on the water fall are horrid and have tons of NOISE and appear distorted.  Looks nothing like on my waterfall where CW is simply a clean line of dits and dahs.  It also sounds like shit.  I operate CW, he does not.  You could hardly copy this.  Sounds like a woodpecker on a 2x4 and like it is overwhelming the speaker or the receiver with distortion.  S-meter is not pegged, volume is not too high, so I am a bit stumped.  I am not too familiar with his rig, but it is similar to mine and I cannot figure out why it sounds like crap(this is with all digital software shut down, just pure radio cw...)...

Not sure how else to describe this to you.. I have a DM780 screenshot showing the signal, but not sure how to attach in this forum...

Any thoughts from the FT-2000 guru's?

Thanks,
NR0U

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »

What is the sound card and interface?

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
NR0U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

Signalink USB.  However, when I shut all that down, the rig sounds like crap...I now suspect that something is set wrong on the rig and that is the source of the problem.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »

I don't have an FT-2000 in front of me but this sounds like an interesting problem so I did some digging on your behalf.

Please check menu setting "092 rdSP CNTR LV". This alters the gain or loss of the Contour function with -15dB being the default value. One site I found highlights the following problem:

The rig's output remains clean up to the +15 dB point. However, at +16 and above, the onset of clipping is observed.  Notice in the graph above the +20 point does not peak with the expected +5db level over the +15 setting due to compression clipping at some point in the AF/DSP chain.

From this, we can see that using the contour in the peak mode, levels of +15 dB and less are needed to avoid distortion products unless the signal is low enough to be below the AGC action threshold.

http://ac0c.com/main/page_ft2k_roofing_filters_ft2000_dsp_filters.html

Tanakasan
NR0U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »

Thanks Tanakasan,

I will check this out.

Lance
NR0U
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »

FWIW --

Yes, it sounds like a problem with the rig settings.

Try finding a MW AM broadcast station (540 - 1600 kHz), and tuning it in in CW or SSB mode.  In either case, set the IF filter fairly wide.   

If _that_ sounds bad, you will have a stable signal to use for adjusting things until it sounds good.

First check that the noise blanker is OFF.  A noise blanker (on any rig) wreaks havoc with any strong signal coming in.

And make sure that the AGC is turned on, and the RF preamp is off.

Charles
NR0U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

Thanks Gang,

I got it.  AM reception was great, so I just keep staring at the rig.  Remember it is my elmers FT-2000 not my FT-450...but
close enough that I suddenly noticed the notch filter!!!  It was on and cranked down.  So, I turn it off and BAM, CW and
RTTY signals decode and all is right in the world. 

Whew, back to normal. 

Lance
NR0U
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:22:33 AM »

When you have a rig with a front panel like the flight deck of Concorde then pilot error is a possibility  Smiley

Tanakasan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: